Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giteau explores legal options to leave Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau explores legal options to leave Force

Giteau explores legal options to leave Force

Bret Harris | October 31, 2008

WALLABIES five-eighth Matt Giteau has sought legal advice as he seeks an immediate exit from his contract with Super 14 team Western Force.

If Giteau is successful in cutting his ties with Perth, the Force will look at using its marquee import spot to recruit an international five-eighth or inside centre.

Giteau is contracted to the ARU until the end of 2011, but he is free to move from the Force to another Australian provincial team in 2010.

He is in discussions with the Force and the Brumbies for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. But it is understood Giteau wants to quit the Force a year early to join the Brumbies next season.

When Giteau signed with the Force he also secured a third-party sponsorship with failed fuel technology company Firepower, which owes him just over $1million in cash and shares.

If Giteau can show the Firepower deal was an inducement to sign with the Force, he may have a case which will allow him to break his contract.

But the Force would argue that it is not responsible for arrangements made between Giteau and a personal sponsor.

"Matt is an extremely valuable member of our team who is adored by the supporters and we'd like to think he'll honour his commitments with the Force in 2009," Western Force chief executive Greg Harris said.

"At this stage we have no indication that Matt wishes to be released from his contract and we are approaching things as business as usual. Obviously, Matt is one of the finest players in the country and an integral member of our organisation and we'd love to keep him here in Perth well beyond next season."

The Brumbies are not banking on Giteau coming home next year but would make room for him if he decided to do so.

Whether Giteau moves back to Canberra next year or the year after, it seems increasingly likely he will play for the Brumbies again. He has until today to respond to an offer from a potential third-party sponsor in Perth, which has pledged to cover the cash component of his Firepower deal, which was worth $400,000 a year.

If Giteau does not accept the offer today, it will be taken off the table, virtually ensuring his return to the Brumbies.

It is understood the same sponsor would then assist the Force to recruit a foreign player to replace Giteau.

French Test star Frederic Michalak spent the last Super 14 season with South African team the Sharks and there are a number of former New Zealand inside backs, such as Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens and Luke McAlister, playing in Europe.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another that hasn't bothered to check with the player himself it would seem, no actual quote from Gits. Nice work Bret...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well if they do lose Gits Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens and Luke McAlister are pretty dam good replacements

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    there seems to be something in the baseline that he wants to go back to Canberra... I hope the ARU throws the book at the brumbies for effectively talking to a play while still in contract

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would be Carlos by choice for me TOCC.
    One year to teach JO'C his book of tricks and then slide JO'C in.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    there seems to be something in the baseline that he wants to go back to Canberra... I hope the ARU throws the book at the brumbies for effectively talking to a play while still in contract
    This happens all the time, so unlikely that anything would come of it. We knew that Giteau was coming to the Force long before the previous season was over. I think it is crap though. You shouldn't still be playing for a team knowing that the following season you are playing elsewhere, especially if it is for another team in the same comp. The Force should have exclusive rights to negotiate with Giteau until the end of the 2009 Super 14 season. After that, if he doesn't accept the option then he can start to look elsewhere. I can tell you they wouldn't put up with this kind of stuff in other professional sports.

vCash
    This appears to be rehash of yesterday's article in The West, PerthNow reported that Gits denied this last night, so while we were sleeping what where the lawyers doing, my guess is the same. In any event the alarm bells are ringing and if we assume the worst the outcome may be a pleasant suprise.

The only issue with Gits going is that we may not be able to hold on to James O Connor, who only signed again to play with Gits, Mitchell his good friend also off contract next year. Valentine new but best mates with Mitchell.

Of the replacements mentioned I think Like McAlister would be best he is awesome and the younger of the players mentioned.

Please sign Matt, We need you!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Carlos is about 34 and still has another year at Northampton for what that's worth these days). His form in the last couple of s14 seasons was pretty patchy and I'm not sure he'd still be viable as anything other than a tutor for JO'C.

McCallister would be my pick for a marquee signing just on age and potential in his own right. There might just be enough in the pot to lure him to the weak Aussie $ if Gits does walk. Given his English childhood that might be tough. He'd likely only want to stay long enough to teach JO'C some tricks before returning to NZ to try to stake a clain for a 2011 AB jersey. Then we'd need to hold on to the young bloke too.

Gotta say though, that my first preference, should all the goss be accurate, would be to try to get Jimmy back and/or give Daruda a shot. That's probably just one more reason why Mitch is is a S14 coach and I'm not.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Another that hasn't bothered to check with the player himself it would seem, no actual quote from Gits. Nice work Bret...
    I don't think he checked with anyone.

Like Tazzmania said, this seems to be yesterdays article re-hashed, there seems to be alot of "If's" in this article

Last edited by jargan83; 31-10-08 at 08:10.

vCash
    I like Bret Harris as a rugby writer but surely someone should let him know that sourcing info from the West is pretty sloppy stuff.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    French Test star Frederic Michalak spent the last Super 14 season with South African team the Sharks and there are a number of former New Zealand inside backs, such as Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens and Luke McAlister, playing in Europe.
    If we wanted someone old but gold I think the Force should pursue Stephen Larkham to come back to Australia. He's as good if not better than Mehrtens and Spencer. And add to that he should mentor Daruda and not JO'C. With Cameron Shepherd, Ryan Cross, Drew Mitchell and Scott Staniforth we have probably the best backline in the Super 14. We don't need someone who is an individual star we need a guy who can unleash those excellent players around him. Daruda has a great pass and with a bit of time will learn to master the art of passing into space and reading the game.

Michalak is a moody, self-obsessed git and McAlister is highly talented but it would feel wrong to have him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i thought carlos spencer signed a new two year contact with the saints earlier this year, that could rule him out......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    This happens all the time, so unlikely that anything would come of it. We knew that Giteau was coming to the Force long before the previous season was over. I think it is crap though. You shouldn't still be playing for a team knowing that the following season you are playing elsewhere, especially if it is for another team in the same comp. The Force should have exclusive rights to negotiate with Giteau until the end of the 2009 Super 14 season. After that, if he doesn't accept the option then he can start to look elsewhere. I can tell you they wouldn't put up with this kind of stuff in other professional sports.
    no thats actually incorrect, i posted it in another article, but the process is that clubs are allowed to negotiate with a player for the for the seasons he is out of contract.

So basically, the Brumbies are allowed to talk to Giteau about the 2010 season but because he is still contracted for the 2009 season the Brumbies are not allowed to speak about that year or offer him a contract.

Hence why Pocock was talking with the Reds whilst the 2008 season was underway and also why Moore was allowed to sign with the Brumbies whilst the 2008 season was still underway.

vCash
    ah! thanks for that information.....

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    So there is nothing wrong with this then???

ACT whip-round for Giteau - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast