Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies named for historic Hong Kong Bledisloe

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies named for historic Hong Kong Bledisloe

The Qantas Wallabies starting XV named today for Saturday’s historic Bledisloe Cup Test in Hong Kong features five alterations from that which played New Zealand at Brisbane in September.

Winger Drew Mitchell and No 8 Richard Brown replace the injured pair of Lote Tuqiri and Wycliff Palu, while flanker Dean Mumm and second row Mark Chisholm owe their promotions to injury to some extent, with Hugh McMeniman and James Horwill both also unavailable.

The final change to the starting line-up sees halfback Luke Burgess return, after he missed the Brisbane Test due to injury, replacing Sam Cordingley who drops to a place among the run on reserves.

The bench features a potential new cap, in the 20-year-old Western Force flanker David Pocock, who would become the 829th Wallaby – and the ninth first timer of 2008 - should he be required to take the field.

This year’s Australian Under-20 captain is one of two loose forwards named among the substitutes, with the Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh being the other, alongside prop Matt Dunning and hooker Adam Freier.

Blindside flanker Mumm will provide lock cover. The bench also features the return of inside centre Berrick Barnes, who hasn’t played since being forced from the field during Australia’s historic win over South Africa at Durban in August.

Barnes has recovered from the injury to the AC joint in his shoulder he sustained on that occasion, although Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says his needs were best served by a re-introduction via the bench.

Tuqiri’s unavailability has created room for the inclusion on the bench of his young Waratahs team-mate Lachie Turner, who debuted earlier in the year during the 40-10 win over France at Brisbane.

The Wallabies arrived in Hong Kong on Monday evening and Deans is satisfied with how the team’s preparations have been carried out.

“While we’ve had a big build up, in terms of having had four weeks together in training camps prior to coming away, the focus specific to this match really only started once we assembled at Manly last week before heading to Hong Kong,” Deans says.

He says the deposits made on the training field will hopefully provide on-field returns during the Wallabies’ challenging six-week tour, acknowledging there had been a notable lift in intensity among the players since the team had assembled at Manly in preparation for Hong Kong.

“Saturday is an historic occasion, and one that the players are excited about, and proud to be a part of,” Deans says.

Australia lost by four against New Zealand in the Tri-Nations decider at Brisbane in September, but Deans welcomed the additional opportunity his side has to test itself against the number-one ranked side in the international game.

“I said after our last meeting that we’d be happy to play the All Blacks in a car park to have another game with them, and I stand by that,” Deans says.

“Each game offers us the opportunity to test ourselves and raise our standards, providing a great barometer of the progress that we’ve made as a team. While we’d obviously have liked the Bledisloe Cup series to have still been alive, the chance to gain a Test win against New Zealand remains and that is an opportunity to be cherished.”

Saturday’s match kicks off arguably the most demanding Spring Tour the Qantas Wallabies have undertaken in the modern era; being followed by Tests in Italy, England, France and Wales in consecutive weeks, before a tour finale against a star-studded Barbarians outfit at Wembley Stadium in London.

Australia last completed an unbeaten Spring Tour – albeit, one that only comprised of two matches – a decade ago; but the Wallabies are unfazed by that history.

“This tour is a fantastic opportunity for all of us. Both collectively, and individually, we’re going to be a lot better for all that we experience over these next five and a half weeks,” Deans says.

“We’re looking forward to getting started.”

The Qantas Wallabies team to play New Zealand at Hong Kong International Stadium on Saturday November 1 (4.35pm kick off, local, 7.35pm AEST), is:

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
    3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
    4. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    6. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    7. George Smith (Brumbies)
    8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
    9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
    11. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)
    12. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
    13. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

Run on reserves:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
    18. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
    19. David Pocock (Western Force)
    20. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
    21. Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds)
    22. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)

Australia v New Zealand – Historical Notes
    • This is the 156th match between Australia and New Zealand. The Qantas Wallabies have won on 45 previous occasions, while the All Blacks have prevailed 105 times. There have been five draws – the most recent of which was a 19-19 tie at Ballymore in Brisbane in 1988.
    • The All Blacks and Wallabies have met just once previously on ‘neutral’ territory. That was in the semi-finals of the 1991 Rugby World Cup in Dublin where the Wallabies prevailed 16-6.
    • Four members of the Wallabies starting XV – fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper, winger Drew Mitchell, flyhalf Matt Giteau and No 8 Richard Brown – have previously represented Australia at the Hong Kong Sevens.
    • Wallaby skipper Stirling Mortlock needs just 16 more points to become the third Australian to post a century of points against New Zealand (following on from Matthew Burke & Michael Lynagh). Mortlock has scored five tries from 15 previous Tests against the All Blacks. Just four players from any country have more Test points against New Zealand while just three players – Australians David Campese and Matthew Burke and South African Joost van der Westhuizen – have crossed the All Black goal-line on more occasions.
    • George Smith earns his 20th cap against New Zealand. This is the most appearances against the All Blacks by any member of the current Wallaby squad and is the sixth highest figure achieved by any player against the All Blacks. The top four places on this list are all occupied by Australians.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 31-10-08 at 15:11.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Force have 5 starters.
    Brumbies have 4.
    Waratahs have 4.
    Reds have 2.

Sweet

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

oh im so happy

drew is starting hehe

we are screwed with the centres though. we have already seen that stirlo and crossy do not work well as our 12-13 combo.

berrick should be out there

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Disappointed there's not at least one new Prop in the 22 and don't know about two small Loosies on the bench but not a bad balance I guess.
    I still don't think Stirling is a very good #12 though, I struggle with the concept of playing good players out of position.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    POCOCK A WALLABY

Go the
    5 to the hope John Mitchell is crowing

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Force have 5 starters.
    Brumbies have 4.
    Waratahs have 4.
    Reds have 2.
    Too many tahs

vCash
    I don't think barnes is 100% yet. Don't want to risk him for the rest of the tour aye. Though it might mean a Gits-JOC combination if he does get injured.

Looks like a great team. Great to see Adam Freir back in the 22, and TPN out. Good selection. And also Mark Chisolm back into the squad. I think he's better than having Hugh there. I'm loving this team...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post

we are screwed with the centres though. we have already seen that stirlo and crossy do not work well as our 12-13 combo.

Bear in mind that Mortlock was previously playing at 12 against Nonu. In this game he'll be running at Dan Carter, a much smaller player. Might be a lot of crash ball coming his way I suspect. Could be an interesting tactic, especially if after he's softened up/ stretchered off, Barnes comes into 12 and runs riot...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

oh im so happy

drew is starting hehe

/me awards robyn a golden "lote-bashing stick"

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    hmm im very nervous about this team, Sharpe and Chisolm are the two biggest seagulling locks in the side

vCash
    Force have 5 starters.
    Brumbies have 4.
    Waratahs have 4.
    Reds have 2.

Sweet
    happy days indeed!

vCash
    Flame, that is fan-bloody-tastic I think this is the first game the force have had more starters than anyone else. We are gonna take this game out!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    Bear in mind that Mortlock was previously playing at 12 against Nonu. In this game he'll be running at Dan Carter, a much smaller player. Might be a lot of crash ball coming his way I suspect. Could be an interesting tactic, especially if after he's softened up/ stretchered off, Barnes comes into 12 and runs riot...
    i see. i still would prefer burgess-giteau-barnes. its our centre combination of the future and it is a development tour... but suppose that running at carter would be better. carters tackling has never jumped out and got my attention, will he hold onto a big guy like strilo?

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    /me awards robyn a golden "lote-bashing stick"
    gold? wow..

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Flame, that is fan-bloody-tastic I think this is the first game the force have had more starters than anyone else. We are gonna take this game out!
    I thought you would be pleased.

I have been working hard to ensure this day would come

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I thought you would be pleased.

I have been working hard to ensure this day would come

thank you so much flame. i really appreciate this

vCash
    I just head on ABC news that Frier has been ruled out with a calf injury

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast