Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indigenous Dreamtime Team to play New Zealand Maori

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Indigenous Dreamtime Team to play New Zealand Maori

IMHO I thnk things like this below and the annual AFL "Dreamtime at the G" do more for Aboriginal pride etc than a hundred government initiatives.
    Goodluck to them and it should be a great match this afternoon.
    Maori muscle v Aboriginal flair I guess!
    Any info on the lesser known players Shasta or others?

Indigenous Dreamtime Team to play New Zealand Maori

Rugby League World Cup 2008 Official Web Site

Preston Campbell today described his appointment as captain of the Rio Tinto Indigenous Dreamtime Team to play New Zealand Maori in the ‘Welcome to Country’ game as part of the Rugby League Cup Official Opening on October 26 as the equal of any of his achievements in the game.

“Winning a premiership is every player’s dream, but to represent your people is an honour that all the boys are proud of,” the Gold Coast Titans Player of the Year said.

“To be named as captain is something I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

William “Smiley” Johnstone, Chairperson of the ARL Indigenous Council, announced the team after Council had endorsed the team and congratulated the selectors an announcing a squad that balanced experience with opportunity for youth.

Dally M Coach of the Year Neil Henry has been handed a formidable squad by selectors Arthur Beetson, Larry Corowa and Ricky Walford.

Cowboys-bound Henry said his role was to encourage his side to play their natural game in an Origin-style atmosphere.

“These guys are not just great athletes, they play a distinct brand of football that all fans love to watch,” he said.

“To call it an intuitive style does not do justice to the ball-runners who search for the weakest link in the defence and then attack.”

Campbell has been reunited with his premiership-winning partner Rhys Wesser and fellow representative players Carl Webb, Sam Thaiday, Ty Williams, Maurice Blair and Dean Widders.

Webb, who has been appointed vice-captain, will be the leader of a pack chosen to take on the formidable Maori side who view this as a Test Match between two proud Indigenous peoples.

His experience will be invaluable for young forwards Daine Laurie and Joel Thompson, who have been selected with other emerging stars in George Green Medal winner Chris Sandow, Justin Carney and Jamal Idris.

Former Parrmatta player and Widnes half Denis Moran won automatic selection as the eighteenth man after winning Man of the Series at the recent ARL-endorsed Aboriginal Knockout conducted by Wollumbin Warriors in Kingscliff.

The side will enter camp on October 21 and will be involved in a number of community events highlighted by an open Fan Day at Redfern Community Centre on Thursday, October 23.

The Rio Tinto Indigenous Dreamtime Team will play New Zealand Maori at 4.15pm at the Sydney Football Stadium as part of the Rugby League World Cup opening ceremony.

The full squad is:

Preston Campbell* Titans
    Sam Thaiday* Broncos
    Yileen Gordon Bulldogs
    Jamal Idris Bulldogs
    Carl Webb Cowboys
    Ty Williams Cowboys
    Maurice Blair Panthers
    Beau Champion Rabbitohs
    Chris Sandow Rabbitohs
    Rhys Wesser Rabbitohs
    Dean Widders Rabbitohs
    Justin Carney Raiders
    Joel Thompson Raiders
    George Rose Sea Eagles
    Daine Laurie Wests Tigers
    Peter Jensen CRL
    Ian Lacey Ipswich
    Denis Moran Narwan Eels

* Final Medical clearance required

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    IMHO I tihnk things like this below and the annual AFL "Dreamtime at the G" do more for Aboriginal pride etc than a hundred government initiatives.
    Too bad about the disgraceful decision not to televise it then.

Watch for Jamal Idris - 17yo with a bit of filling out to do but has many boxes ticked.

Dunno if Chris Sandow from Darwin is still lesser known since taking the Rabitoh's 9 jersey. But he's got every shot in the book.An up-and coming Preston Campbell.

Ian Lacey is probably the shortest-arsed man ever to play in the NRL and makes Hazem & Matt Utai look like 6 footers. But he punches way above his weight.

Last edited by shasta; 26-10-08 at 12:23.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apart from Campbell, Thaiday, Webb & Williams, they are all "lesser known" to me

New Zealand Maori name strong team to take on Aboriginals

Written by: NZRL media
    October 25th, 2008 5:52am

Former Kiwi prop Craig Smith has come out of retirement to play for the New Zealand Maori against the Australian Indigenous team in the curtain-raiser to the official opening match of the 2008 Rugby League World Cup on Sunday.

Smith, who turns 37 today week (October 31), made 12 test appearances for the Kiwis from 1998-2001 and also played for the Rest of the World against Australia in 1997.

He finished his first-grade career in 2006 after more than 150 NRL matches for South Sydney, Illawarra, St George Illawarra and Newcastle plus 80 games for Wigan in the English Super League from 2002-2004.

He answered coach Luke Goodwin’s call for a replacement after the Maori lost Canberra-bound Wests Tigers forward Bronson Harrison when he was called into the Pirtek Kiwis’ World Cup squad this week.

The Maori have also lost some other players from the side that lost 10-44 to the All Golds in New Plymouth on October 12.

Winger Jason Nightingale was called into the Pirtek Kiwis to replace the injured Brent Webb while Maori fullback Kevin Locke was ruled out with a shoulder injury.

Sydney Roosters outside back Shaun Kenny-Dowall has been moved out to the wing after playing in the centres against the All Golds while former Junior Kiwi Karl Johnson comes into the centres. He’s now playing for the Central Comets in the Queensland Cup.

The new fullback is coach Luke Goodwin’s younger brother Bronx, who has been released by Canberra after spending the last two seasons with the club.

Brought onto the bench is a player with one of the longest names in the game – South Sydney’s Charlie Herekotukutuku.

The Maori will face a high quality Australian Indigenous team which includes any number of NRL stars, among them Rhys Wesser, Ty Williams, Preston Campbell, Carl Webb and Sam Thaiday.

Sunday’s match precedes the World Cup opening festivities and the Australia-New Zealand encounter.

NEW ZEALAND MAORI v AUSTRALIAN INDIGENOUS TEAM

SYDNEY FOOTBALL STADIUM, SYDNEY

4.15PM, SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2008

NEW ZEALAND MAORI

1 BRONX GOODWIN
    (Canberra)
    2 JORDAN RAPANA
    (Gold Coast)
    3 CHASE STANLEY
    (St George Illawarra)
    4 KARL JOHNSON
    (Central Comets)
    5 SHAUN KENNY-DOWALL
    (Sydney Roosters)
    6 ARANA TAUMATA
    (Melbourne)
    7 RANGI CHASE
    (St George Illawarra)
    8 WELLER HAURAKI
    (Parramatta)
    9 BEN ELLIS (c)
    (St George Illawarra)
    10 SAM McKENDRY
    (Penrith)
    11 CRAIG SMITH
    (Unattached)
    12 WAIRANGI KOOPU
    (Vodafone Warriors)
    13 LEE TE MAARI
    (Bulldogs)
    Interchange:
    14 CHARLIE HEREKOTUKUTUKU
    (South Sydney)
    15 JOSEPH CAHILL
    (Sydney Roosters)
    16 CHANCE BUNCE
    (Cronulla)
    17 JAMES TAMOU
    (Sydney Roosters)
    18 KEVIN PROCTOR
    (Melbourne)

COACH: LUKE GOODWIN

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    12 WAIRANGI KOOPU
    (Vodafone Warriors)
    13 LEE TE MAARI
    (Bulldogs)
    Interchange:
    14 CHARLIE HEREKOTUKUTUKU
    (South Sydney)
    15 JOSEPH CAHILL
    (Sydney Roosters)
    16 CHANCE BUNCE
    (Cronulla)
    17 JAMES TAMOU
    (Sydney Roosters)
    18 KEVIN PROCTOR
    Good bloodlines there.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    This was televised in Sydney

a great game to watch

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good old WIN decided on the run not to televise the opening at 8:30 as advised but 9:30 instead...maybe someone didn't adjust their clocks in Bunbury

Would have liked to have watched the curtain raiser but I guess this is WA, Australian Idol is far more important...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Lee Te Maari is a west aussie boy btw, a Joondalup Giants junior

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    Lee Te Maari is a west aussie boy btw, a Joondalup Giants junior
    Along with the coach and his little brother. 3rd generation Aussie Maoris.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Along with the coach and his little brother. 3rd generation Aussie Maoris.
    luke has more than one brother
    luke, bryson (sharks '08, bulldogs '09) and bronx (canberra '08, think hes being stood down but) have all played nrl and are the sons of st. george legend 'Lord' Ted Goodwin and i think he has another son too
    however im pretty sure they moved over so luke could play senior footy with the Reds
    bronx and bryson (and potentially the other potential son) played junior footy for South Perth
    ted also refereed and was a warl developement manager over here until 2000 or there abouts

ed: just remembered pretty sure the fourth sons name is grayson

Last edited by bort; 27-10-08 at 19:31.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Yeah - I am pretty sure Bronx had his contract ripped up after a nightclub incident in Canberra a couple of months ago.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Yeah - I am pretty sure Bronx had his contract ripped up after a nightclub incident in Canberra a couple of months ago.
    yer im pretty sure hes gone
    same night unfortunately saw oustanding (and im not even a raiders fan!) playmaker todd carney removed from the nrl after repeated infringements and blatantly refusing an alcohol ban (sound familiar?)

vCash
    Game wasn't shown in Perth but HOW FREAKING AWESOME WAS THIS?

YouTube - Maori Haka V's Aboriginal War Cry Rugby League

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm sure it's not the PC thing to say Beige, but it all just seems a bit silly to me.
    You can't beat a good team haka, (Kiwi's from next match for example) but all this standing there huffing and puffing while some actor makes a big spectacle of himself and then the Aboriginal team "hiding" behind a line of actors with spears...
    Good theatre I suppose but getting a bit removed from the origin in sport I would think.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    and the Haka isn't theatre either?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was reffering to the whole thing, not just one side, but at least a "normal" haka is carried out by the 13/15/17/22 players, not a cast of extras.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast