Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby League & Rugby Union, what lies ahead?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rugby League & Rugby Union, what lies ahead?

Jamie Peacock, England Rugby League Captain: "I don't want to play rugby union and never have, but you cannot help but feel jealous about how their top players are rewarded and that England get to play regularly in front of about 70,000 people at Twickenham."

How the worm turns, for generations it was League that was held in awe by Union players for "how players are rewarded".
    Can't help but wonder what the Rugby (L & U) landscape would look like today if the Union power base had changed the code to professionalism in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc.

Would there still be two codes?

Will there still be two codes in fifty years time?

Certainly JO'N has suggested that one of the four codes will have to give in Australia, but how about globally, is there enough room and point of difference to sustain two similar codes into the future?
    After all, our global population is still booming and global GDP better than ever?

Interested in comments that AREN'T just bashing one code or another.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Can't help but wonder what the Rugby (L & U) landscape would look like today if the Union power base had changed the code to professionalism in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc.
    Rugby types were far too highly principled to let that happen........apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

A possible way that might happen is that as RL clubs run into trouble financially they may be "cherry picked" relocated and offered a spot as a Rugby franchise by the likes of JON. If that happens there may well be a stampede in order to not miss the boat.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    how about we follow the advice of the all-knowing lote and smush the two rugby codes together?

after all, he would NEVER be wrong

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    A possible way that might happen is that as RL clubs run into trouble financially they may be "cherry picked" relocated and offered a spot as a Rugby franchise by the likes of JON. If that happens there may well be a stampede in order to not miss the boat.
    Interesting, hadn't thought of that concept

In Australia, do you think we are now at full potential for NRL clubs?
    If so, would that then give a glass ceiling for many juniors with only so many palces per pro team available and a potential increase in juniors available to Union and another go at ARC/APC?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I reckon if League dies in Australia, it'll be consigned to a slow, painful death across the globe. Australia might be the most competitive market for the codes, but the NRL is also the most quality competition, if NRL can't compete with Super 14 given the sheer number of teams, players and matches (by comparison) then League won't match it elsewhere. If a formula can be found in Sydney, then it will likely be applied Worldwide.

C'mon the

vCash
    It would take some considerably seismic shift in both the international and local sporting landscape for League to die. Forget the top level, league's strength (in those areas where it is the stronger code) is in its grassroots support. The game means too much to too many people for it to just disappear.

My dad was the biggest rugby snob you can imagine but even he was involved with the rugby league club in Lightning Ridge - just because he saw how important it was for the community at the time.

I'd be interested to see what happens if rugby makes the Olympics...

vCash
    It's all just a guessing game at this stage, isn't it? But I think JON's comment about one of the football codes going under is a real possibility. The cold hard fact is that there's only so much money in the pot and the NRL would already be consigned to the scrapheap without Foxtel's money (as would be S14). Even with that money NRL clubs are under tremendous financial pressure.

I doubt there's any real possibility of expansion. You'll just see more of the present clubs playing in Perth, Adelaide etc trying to chase a some decent gate takings. Sydneysiders take their NRL for granted in many ways. They love having it around and it's the main cribroom talking point but they don't actually get out and support the game as much as they once did.

If the expansion of S14 proves a success and Rugby starts drawing an increasing slice of the financial pie that financial pressure might begin to tell.

That Rugby League is stronger than Rugby at the grass roots level, especially in Queensland, is a no brainer. But at the top level the salary cap is already having an effect.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    nrl needs to knock off 2 sydney teams (or let them knock them selves off financially) and then it will be sweet and those two teams can relocate or be replaced outside of the east coast
    AFL wont die, soccer is too important globally to go down easily
    so it really comes down to Union and League
    if they were 'smush'ed together itd be a right up there with soccer as a global juggernaught of a sport

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    A 'smush'ed rugby may well be much bigger in Australia - but do you think it'd increase in stature globally by much?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    How big have the crowds been at the Tahs trials so far??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    How big have the crowds been at the Tahs trials so far??
    Tahs trials? what trials?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Oops sorry. Rugby League World Cup was what I meant

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    The Australia - New Zealand game was not sold out at the SFS, which I think could show the dedication of RL fans to the concept of a world cup, when only three teams can realistically win it.

vCash
    3 teams? Your joking there surely Ox, because I can't see Australia losing it
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    RLWC Crowds:

10'700, England v PNG (Dairy Farmers Stadium)
    9'000 est. France v Scotland (Canberra Stadium)
    34'500 Australia v NZ (Sydney Football Stadium) 75% capacity
    6'165 Tongan v Ireland (Parramatta Stadium)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast