Thread: Opposition lashes out at stadium indecisiveness

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Opposition lashes out at stadium indecisiveness

Opposition lashes out at stadium indecisiveness
    • Joseph Sapienza
    • October 24, 2008 - 3:58PM
    The State Opposition has lashed out at the Government over its continued indecisiveness on the stadium issue following Premier Colin Barnett's meeting with AFL chief executive officer Andrew Demetriou today.
    The Premier could not confirm whether - and when - an entirely new stadium would be built on Kitchener Park in Subiaco or if a staged redevelopment of Subiaco Oval would take place.
    The AFL says it will work with the Government no matter what decision it makes on the contentious project, although it is believed the League favours a new stadium being built from scratch.
    The Opposition's spokesman for Sport, Ken Travers, says it is important WA gets a new stadium rather than a redevelopment of Subiaco Oval.
    "I'm concerned the Premier may be softening us up to walk away from the stadium (proposal)," Mr Travers told WA Today.
    He said a new stadium would not be suitable for just AFL, but also for rectangular sports like soccer and rugby with its proposed retractable seating.
    "The new stadium is the cheaper option for the State (as well)," he said. "With a redevelopment, it's throwing good money after bad."

He also asked the Premier to read the Langoulant Task Force report on Perth's need for a new sports stadium.

"The Premier needs to read the report, which says the cheapest and best option long term for the State is to build a new stadium for all sports. They need to get on with it," he said.
    "It is outrageous the Premier didn't read it. Before making comment, he should do his homework.

"There was clearly bi-partisan support for (the stadium) before the election, and there was never any indication by the Liberals that they would not be supporting a new stadium.
    "The Premier needs to honour that commitment."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/op...1024-5850.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mr Travers can be contacted on

ken.travers@mp.wa.gov.au

vCash
    Mr Travers,

In reference to your comments in The West Australian.

I did not vote for the current governnmment. But I agree with their decision to revisit the stadium issue. I believe that reports such as the one from the Langoulant Task force can be pretty much predetermined by their terms of refernece. Had the Labour Party in government stood up to the AFL & WAFC and told them that an INDEPENDANT management structure would run the new stadium, many of us would have had a bit more faith in the process. I believe your party bowed to pressure from them by handing them the managent rights and have been actively campaining for a reappraisal ever since. Please visit Western Force Rugby or We Need Corners - A Rectangular Stadium For Perth! to see what many Rugby, League & Football supporters think of the taskforce report.

Name & Address supplied.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David