Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fighting for nation he left behind

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Fighting for nation he left behind

DAVID Pocock is about to make his Wallabies debut, but his heart still beats to the rhythms of Africa and bleeds for his native Zimbabwe.

At the end of the tour of Hong Kong and Europe, the Wallabies will take European vacations or return to the surf and sand of an Australian summer before pre-season training.

But Pocock will travel to his homeland in southern Africa to give succour to members of a village in the politically and economically bankrupt country, which he affectionately calls "Zim".

"You can't forget where you come from," said Pocock, who is only 20 but carries himself with the maturity of a 30-year-old.

"That shaped who I am. All my childhood memories and stuff. I'm very fond of the place and the people.

"It's tough to see what's happening. People have no options. They can't move to Australia for a better life. They are stuck there.

"People have been saying since 2000 it is going to get better, but almost nine years later it is getting worse. We are looking at helping out a community over there. It's overwhelming because there are five million people starving. Who do you help? You think if I help 100, what difference does that make? You can't think like that. You've just got to do what you can."

Pocock has the same moral strength as Springboks flanker Luke Watson, a champion of black South African players, so it is not surprising they have formed a friendship through rugby.

"We meet every time we are in the same city," Pocock said. "He's a great bloke."

Pocock's humanitarian endeavour is an expression of his faith. Along with Western Force team-mate Luke Holmes, he established a charitable organisation called "Why Generation", which has distributed soccer balls to an orphanage in Durban and provided sleeping bags for the homeless in Perth.

Pocock would be entitled to feel bitter towards Zimbabwe after his family was forced off its farm, an 8000-acre spread in the midlands of the country, during a land redistribution program.

"In theory it was very good," Pocock said of the land grab that ended his idyllic childhood. "Give land to people who used to own it so they could farm it.

"Our farm, some police officer lives on it now. It's not being farmed. It's such a waste. People are on the brink of starvation and there's millions of acres not being farmed. It's such a shame."

The Pocock family moved to Brisbane in 2002 and young David brought his passion for rugby with him to Church of England Grammar School.

Pocock had always played in the backs in Zimbabwe, but "Churchie" first XV coach, former Wallabies number eight Tom Barker, switched him to openside flanker and he represented Queensland and Australian Schoolboys in the No 7 jersey.

On leaving school, Pocock made another big move to join the Super rugby expansion franchise, the Force, in Perth, declining an approach from Queensland Reds.

"In Year 12, I was talking to both of them," Pocock said.

"With the Reds I would have been in the academy, but with the Force I would have been training with the top squad.

"It was a massive opportunity to learn in the top squad and Mitch (Force coach John Mitchell) made it clear I would be playing in the trials and getting that sort of exposure.

"John Mitchell was a massive drawcard and the players they signed, Brendan Cannon and Nathan Sharpe, and just being part of something new. It's the best decision I've ever made."

Pocock, who was 17 at the time, played for the Force in a trial match against the Cheetahs in Perth, but the ARU stopped him playing any further games because of a rule which stated Super rugby players had to be at least 18.

As a result of the fuss over Pocock not being allowed to play, the rule was subsequently changed so that players under 18 are judged on a case-by-case basis.

But Pocock had to wait until the second last round of the 2006 Super 14 series to make his official debut for the Force, against the Sharks in Durban.

"It was weird. I was run on. I wasn't even on the bench," he said. "There you go. Do what you can do.

"I remember being so nervous. We lost, but it was a massive high."

Pocock has been the regular starter at openside flanker for the Force for the last two seasons, competing against George Smith, Phil Waugh, and New Zealand captain Richie McCaw.

While he is as physically talented as McCaw, Smith and Waugh, Pocock probably lacks their craftiness, which will come with experience.

"You are always up for those games, playing against guys you have been watching since I don't know how old," Pocock said.

"You are always trying to test yourself and see how far you can push it. Every time I play McCaw or George Smith, I always pick up one or two little things that they do and you think, 'yeah, maybe I can do that'."

Pocock was physically and mentally ready to play Test rugby at the start of this year's international season in June, but coach Robbie Deans thought he would benefit from playing in the under-20 world championship in Wales.

In what was undoubtedly a pointer to the future, Pocock was named captain of the team.

He later led the Force on a five-game tour of the UK. It is not unreasonable to speculate that Pocock may not only start for the Wallabies at the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand, but also be captain.

"It's not something I actively seek out, but I'm pretty comfortable with it," Pocock said of captaincy. "If the coach thinks I can lead the team well, I'm happy to do it."

Pocock is one of five rookies in the 34-man squad for the tour to the northern hemisphere.

As the third openside flanker behind Smith and Waugh, Pocock will be fighting hard for game time.

"I don't really have any expectations because I know how many blokes go on the spring tour and never get on the field," Pocock said.

"My goal is to make the most of any opportunity I get, try and improve my game -- and, away from rugby, see the sights and experience the culture.

"They (Smith and Waugh) have 150 Tests between them and I've got zero. They have been by far the best two opensides in Australia for however long. I'll grab any opportunity I get and at training I'll be going my hardest."

Smith, 28, and Waugh, 29, are both veterans and Pocock is sure to be snapping at their heels.

Pocock is as skilful as Smith and as hard on the ball as Waugh, combining the best features of the two senior flankers.

Once Pocock makes his Test debut, which will probably be against Italy in the second game of the tour, he is likely to wear the gold jersey for a long time.

While his rugby career comes first at the moment, Pocock is considering studying medicine, which will enable him to help people in his homeland even more in the future.

"I'm passionate about helping people and I'm against injustice," Pocock said. "I've always wanted to do medicine so I can go over there and help. It's all very well going over there, but if you've got no skill, you aren't much help."

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I am, as ever, in awe of this boy. So many other people in his position would dissapear so far up themselves you'd need a mine search and rescue team to find them. Should (when?) he make it as captain of the or the he will be an absolute credit to either team, and the game. In these days when the job of 'role model' seems to be thrust upon sportsmen, you couldn't ask for much better than have the kids look up to our Bam.

vCash
    what an amazing person. i know how he feels about africa, it's wonderful that he is going back to help those people

swee, its only a matter of time before he captains both those teans, and it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

dave's a legend

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    he is just one inspirational and amazing person
    he does such great work on and off the field
    hes so full of giving and i take my hat off to him

and hes friends with schalk

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    the boys all class.........

vCash
    Dave is fantastic at what he does and im so proud he chose Australia to represent.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Champion
    vCash
    this boy is perfect

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I heard he once pulled a thorn out of a lion's foot.

Didn't he also feature in a ripping yarn in Boy's Own Weekly?

vCash
    I also heard he was a direct descendant of Cecil Rhodes....

vCash
    bam bam=ledgend

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    And Mother Teresa...

vCash
    and awsome

BOKKE

vCash
    I can only concur Lara. Do you think he'll succeed Mugabe as President? Will he power share with Morgan Tsvangirai?

vCash
    o he will
    i wish he would

BOKKE

Player
    vCash
    did bam bams mum write this?!
    not that i disagree with it (because i dont!) but thats by far one of the most positive articles ive ever read

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast