Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Springboks logo set to be axed

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Springboks logo set to be axed

Springboks logo set to be axed

South Africa rugby jerseys are set to sport a flower instead of a Springbok next year after the country's Parliamentary Sports Portfolio Committee decided to ditch the iconic emblem.

Committee Chairman Butana Komphela told a radio station that delegates supported the call to have a uniform national sporting emblem and for the Springbok to be replaced by South Africa's national flower, the protea, from next year.

"All the other national teams no longer use the Springbok and the last time the national rugby team runs out with the Bok on their chests will be on the end-of-year tour to the UK," Komphela told Metro FM radio.

"The decision has been made and there will be no negotiation and I know that SA Rugby will say that it will result in a huge loss in revenue, but our investigations have actually indicated that the opposite will happen."

The CEO of SA Rugby, Johan Prinsloo, told the same radio station that they had not taken part in discussions because the subject had not been on the agenda.

"We do have our own opinion as SA Rugby and the Springbok is a huge brand, so it would have drastic consequences for rugby if it were to go, but we will discuss the matter at the President's Council to determine what to do."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    im so angry at this!
    the springboks logo has been around for ages and now they have to change it for some reason!
    now i cant say go bokke!

dammnn u south african government

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I think they will always be "The Springboks" to the Rugby fraternity.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Now they'll have to shout, "GO THE PROTES!!!"

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They join the list of teams with poofy flowers on their chest as an emblem.

vCash
    yeah sadly
    im still going to refer to them as the boks
    and not some flowery thing

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    The "Pansies" name won't scare teams.

vCash

BOKKE

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I hate to sound ignorant - but I am going to ask a stupid question.

Is there a chance that the Springbok logo can be seen to be connected to "apartheid" in any way shape or form?

I have no desire to disrespect South Africa or its people, I am just wondering if there is an underlying reason for the change.

Rugby Union has always been very strong on its history - it would be a shame for the game to lose a little piece of it.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    im not liking this situation one bit

BOKKE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Is there a chance that the Springbok logo can be seen to be connected to "apartheid" in any way shape or form?
    I think that this is the reason for the change, because it was seen as an "elitest" sport in South Africa. This has been coming for several years, on the back of the quota system that has been employed for both Cricket and Rugby. I don't see how they could be referred to as the proteas though, because Australia doesn't have two national teams with the same nickname (to my knowledge).

Tradition is everything, the logo might change but the name springbok will always be associated with SAfr rugby.

vCash
    South Africa’s ANC opposes scrapping of Springbok emblem
    11th October 2008, 15:45 WST

South Africa’s ruling African National Congress and the main opposition Democratic Alliance rejected a call by a senior legislator to scrap the emblem of the country’s world champion rugby team.

Butana Komphela, chairman of the parliamentary sports committee, said yesterday there will be “no negotiation” on the abolition of the design, which depicts a leaping Springbok, an antelope indigenous to South Africa. The 102-year-old symbol was worn by South Africa’s whites-only national sporting teams during apartheid and retained by the South African rugby team after the advent of democracy in 1994.

“The ANC would like to state categorically that it would not like to see any replacement or change of the Springbok emblem until sufficient debate and consultation of all stakeholders, including rugby supporters, has taken place,” ANC spokeswoman Jessie Duarte said in an e-mailed statement today.

The Springbok emblem “divided” South Africans and should be scrapped in favor of the King Protea, which is worn by all other sporting codes in the country, Komphela said at a national sports conference in the coastal city of Durban. “I want you to observe the arrogance of white people on the Springbok emblem.”

South Africa’s national rugby team was first referred to as “The Springboks” in 1906 during a tour of Britain and France, when captain Paul Roos coined the nickname in interviews with the British press. Since then, the team has worn jerseys sporting the badge on their left breast pocket.

“There is no need to scrap the Springbok emblem,” Donald Lee, a Democratic Alliance lawmaker said in an e-mailed statement. “If the Springbok emblem was good for Nelson Mandela, then it is good for South Africa.”
    Mandela Chant

Mandela, the first black president of South Africa, famously wore a Springbok jersey at the 1995 Rugby World Cup Final in Johannesburg, in which South Africa defeated New Zealand to become world champions. Mandela’s gesture of reconciliation prompted the mostly white crowd to repeatedly chant his name.

Full Story: South Africa’s ANC opposes scrapping of Springbok emblem : thewest.com.au

Posted via space

Champion
    vCash
    But aren't the SA cricket team called the Proteas?

vCash
    This is utter bullshit, killing one of the world's most recognised emblems and over a century of rugby tradition in South Africa. I am beyond angry at this. I was born in South Africa and have been a Springbok supporter for most of my life, until this year when I decided it was time to change. It will not only be a loss to South African rugby; but to world rugby. Dad will be there on the UK tour later in the year I think this will even move him to being a Wallabies supporter after the tour.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    im not terribly impressed myself, and i dont even really like the boks anymore. rugby is like another religion in southafrica (if i can say that without sounding rude) and there will be a few bad reactions to this change. i dont think the public will be calling them the flower power boys myself, it will take alot for anything other than 'boks' to be their team names. well, to me they will stay the boks. the eye-gourging, biting, wallaby-bashing boks.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast