Thread: Force Finals performances (NSWRU & QRU)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force Finals performances (NSWRU & QRU)

One of the perks of living in the sticks is that I get to have satellite TV and therefore get to watch NSW and Qld ABC telecasts of the local rugby comps.
    Here's my take on the Force players performance in the two Premiership Matches last weekend.

Saturday: Sydney University 41 v Eastwood 5
    University-
    1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Brendan Cannon
    3. Dave Fitter
    8. Tim Davidson
    Hardy, Cannon and Fitter gave an outstanding performance and stable platform for a dominating Uni scrum.
    Hardy did cough up an ordinary knock on however made up for it with some strong tackles and an amazing (well, for a prop anyway!) kick for touch. Would appear to need to work on his ball skills over Summer to be the real deal in '06.
    Cannon had one of his better games since coming back from injury earlier this season. He led the tight forwards well and enjoyed a good run at the throw in.
    Fitter was a deserving man of the match. He had a field day at tight head and was everywhere around the paddock. The highlight of his day was his try from a 15 meter rolling maul. We all know how much a member of the "Front Rowers Union" loves a try! Surely he has earnt at least one go starting in Europe this Spring?
    Davidson capped an excellent season with another Captains stand out performance, including yet another try. Having not even heard of him prior to being drafted by the WForce I have been greatly impressed by his style and standard of play. The leading try scorer in NSW rugby this year (13 in the season, 18 total) I'm sure we will be seeing much of him in '06.

Eastwood-
    8. Scott Fava
    9. Chris O'Young
    A great disappointment on the day was the injury to Fava. Coming in the first few minutes from a seemingly innocent tackle contact he never settled and was an early replacement for the upcoming Leroy Houston at the 33 minute mark. It would be unfair to judge Fava by this performance and he has well proved himself in yet another outstanding year at club and S12 levels. Before going off he did show what he is capable of with some good chasing and great strength though with obvious discomfort and distraction.
    O'Young had a mixed game and I doubt he would be too happy with his own performance.
    There were patches of brilliance with the boot and pass which were countered with an ordinary mark attempt and pressured in play decisions. Credit should be given for surviving one of Phil Waugh’s biggest tackles of the year though!

In all Eastwood were totally out muscled and largely outplayed by a very experienced University XV.

Tom Carter is destined for a great series for the Tahs next season.

Sunday: Sunnybank 41 v Gold Coast 17
    Sunnybank-
    11. Digby Ioane
    Ioane had a great game on the Wing for Sunnybank with some decisive strong bursts resulting in a try and setting up the clincher.

Gold Coast-
    2. Tai McIsaac
    4. Matt Windle
    15. Vitori Buatava
    McIsaac would be amongst the best for the losing side in his 101st Breakers appearance. He had a strong performance all game in the tackle and with some great pick and drives. He had a great day with throw ins and was instrumental in three consecutive scrum penalties by Sunnybank to be rewarded a penalty try to the Breakers pack.
    I actually saw very little of Windle all match and am undecided if that was because he was doing his job (ie, the best forwards are often not seen in play) or had an ordinary game. I'll reserve my judgment and hope it was the former.
    Buatava was, in my opinion, out of position at fullback and was found wanting in a few vital tackles. He had a mixed bag with the boot however, has an obvious great knowledge of the game and I'm confident he will have a rewarding future in WA if he's played in the Inside Backs.

Unlike the NSW Final, this match was competitive to the end and in this case the better scrum did not win the match however the better XV did take the Premiership.

Ben Gollings had a fantastic game for Man of the Match and the Englishman will be Australia’s loss for a NZ or SA Super 14 gain due to our selection policies. Lloyd Johansson also had a strong game and is lining up for an exciting twelve months.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Watching the NSW club rugby final sent shivers down my spine. The Force recruits starred in this match, and I was getting extremely excited for the 2006 Super 14 (apart from when Scotty got taken to hospital). I was particularly impressed with Dave Fitter - he rose for the match, and showed Eddie Jones that he is more than capable of playing solid rugby; contributing well in aspects other than the scrum. If Dave is not selected in the Wallabies XV then something must be wrong!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy

Nice write up there Burgs! Unfortunately, my budget includes NO cable, and NO Satelite - free to air is all I got... :sad2: :crybaby2:

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Nice write up there Burgs! Unfortunately, my budget includes NO cable, and NO Satelite - free to air is all I got... :sad2: :crybaby2:
    Poor you - you'll miss all the away games for the Force.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Poor you - you'll miss all the away games for the Force.
    Sounds like a good excuse to head down to the local and watch it on a big screen to me!