Thread: Sharpe denies unrest in the west

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe denies unrest in the west

By Bret Harris

WESTERN Force captain Nathan Sharpe has described reports of a player revolt against coach John Mitchell as a "storm in a tea cup".

The Force is in damage control over a story in a Sunday newspaper that claimed players had complained to management about Mitchell.
    Sharpe admitted a group of players met Force chief executive Greg Harris, but denied it had anything to do with Mitchell's coaching.

"There was a bunch of players and the CEO and the players' representative on the board (John Welborn) who got together just to discuss things, ranging from the administration to the playing," Sharpe said.

"It was certainly nothing to do with Mitch. It was just the performance of the team going forward was what the boys wanted to talk about.

"You can always get better in different areas as an organisation and that's what we are looking to do. That goes from the way we hold ourselves as a club, the way we run our marketing, the way we do our public appearances.
    That's what you want in a coach. A guy who works very, very hard.
    "To be honest, it was very early stages of planning for next year and the guys just wanted to make sure we got on top of things."

Sharpe, who was one of the Force's foundation players in 2006, said he had no problems with Mitchell.

"I get along really well with Mitch," Sharpe said. "He's a great guy and a very good coach. He's an intense fella. That's the way he is. He is competitive.

"That's what you want in a coach. A guy who works very, very hard."

There has been speculation that Force players such as five-eighth Matt Giteau and winger/full-back Drew Mitchell were looking to leave Perth.

Sharpe, who has signed with the Force until 2011, conceded it would be a challenge for the club to retain a large number of players, who are coming off contract.

"Next year is going to be a great litmus test for us to see how many guys want to re-sign and get on board with a team that is certainly on the improve," Sharpe said. "That was always going to be the case when the club came into conception.

"You get players on one or two-year contracts and all of a sudden everyone is coming off contract at the same time."

Sharpe will not be thinking too much about the Force over the next four weeks as he prepares for Australia's upcoming tour of Hong Kong and Europe.

The Wallabies play the All Blacks in Hong Kong and then four Tests against Italy, France, England and Wales before finishing the tour with a match with the Barbarians.

"It's a solid trip, but I think everyone is pretty excited about it," Sharpe said.
    "There's 34 guys going, which is going to share the load between everyone."

Sharpe said the Wallabies were keen to play New Zealand again following their 28-24 loss to the All Blacks in the Tri-Nations decider in Brisbane.

"You always want another shot at an opposition that has just beaten you," Sharpe said.
    "The team will be chomping at the bit to get another crack at them, especially in an atmosphere like Hong Kong."

After being a permanent fixture in the Wallabies second row for the last six years, Sharpe was overlooked for the two Tests against the Springboks in South Africa, although he was recalled for the All Blacks in Brisbane.

Although he is now the most commanding lineout forward in Australia, Sharpe will continue to face competition from younger locks such as Hugh McMeniman and Dean Mumm.

"I can only control what I can do. If I do that, hopefully things will look after themselves," Sharpe said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Finally, a journalist has actually talked to a player to get a story instead of just speculating.

vCash
    http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...651041000.html

Brownie and Rabbit have said much the same thing today- "Its not us complaining"

vCash
    "Two of Western Force's Wallabies"

I'll grant you that Dick Brown has 1 cap for 55 minutes of game time, but when did JOC become a Wallaby?

vCash
    Can he be called a Wallaby tourist once he steps on the plane?

I'm not pushing for him to be a Wallaby, just checking protocols. I seem to remember that there was a time when they weren't called Wallabies until they had toured (or was that the mungos?) I don't know, it's all very confusing!

I guess TOCC'll get on the bandwagon now and start to discuss the difference between a Wallaby and a 'real' Wallaby.

C'mon the

vCash
    Isn't it a case of once a Wallaby always a wallaby - don't we have a clutch of them

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    yeah but how many of the Force boys in the squad have been wallabies?

Untill you get on the field (not the bench) your only a prospective Wallaby
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    "Two of Western Force's Wallabies"

I'll grant you that Dick Brown has 1 cap for 55 minutes of game time, but when did JOC become a Wallaby?
    but he did play well for that 55 minutes, as for JOC i think he'll have to wait for his first cap before he becomes a wallaby, hopefully will happen on this forthcoming tour......

vCash
    So according the story that its 2 of the Force's Wallabies there is:
    Currently: Matt Giteau, Nathan Sharpe, Drew Mitchell, Ryan Cross & Richard Brown
    Past: Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth & Tai McIsaac & Scott Fava still counts in my books.
    Future: Dave Pocock & James O'Connor.

Adding to that Gits, Sharpie, Brownie & J'OC have all denied it and Scott Fava has left.

Whoever has the problem will sort it out PRIVATELY, its probably something minor been blown completely out of proportion.

More importantly we have a ripper of a team at the Force!!!

Last edited by laura; 30-09-08 at 16:17. Reason: fava left

vCash
    scotty's now a waratah, so we can cross him off the list........