Thread: Palu positive he'll be putting in an appearance on tour

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Palu positive he'll be putting in an appearance on tour

Palu positive he'll be putting in an appearance on tour

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | September 30, 2008

AS WYCLIFF PALU hobbled into the Wallabies' team hotel wearing a large knee brace on his right leg yesterday, he insisted: "It's not as bad as it looks."

Appearance-wise, the No.8's chances of participating in Australia's November-December tour of Hong Kong and Europe seemed slim. But Palu was adamant, as he arrived for a four-day training camp in Sydney, that time should work in his favour, since a decision on whether he can tour does not have to be made for at least another fortnight. By that time, the brace will be off and he should be running, jumping and no longer standing still.

What is more, Wallabies management will give Palu every chance to prove his fitness since the squad, which will be involved in five overseas Tests, has only one other No.8 - Richard Brown, who has just one Test appearance to his name.

Palu needs no reminding that when his knee gave way in the Brisbane Bledisloe Cup Test, Brown, who came on to replace him, used the remaining 47 minutes to prove he was a genuine candidate for the Test No.8 position, being one of the few Wallabies standouts that night.

Palu knows the dangers of giving Brown too many opportunities in his spot. However, he might be powerless to prevent him taking the field when the tour starts in Hong Kong on November 1 with the fourth and final Test against the All Blacks.

Palu admitted yesterday he was doubtful for that historic game.
    "It's a four-to-six-week injury, so it is up to them [the Wallabies management] whether they take me or not," Palu said.

"I will be touch and go for the first game, but I reckon I'll be right for the rest of the tour matches. I'll probably have the knee brace on for another week, and then go from there."

Lote Tuqiri, the other key Wallaby with knee problems, is also uncertain whether he will be touring. His hopes revolve around a visit to his surgeon tomorrow to determine how he is recovering from his recent operation, and several meetings with team medical staff this week. Again, the Wallabies will take their time in making a decision.

"I'm hopeful," Tuqiri said yesterday. "The point is that I really want to go on this tour. We've broken a few hoodoos this year, in particular winning in South Africa, and I would like to be involved in a tour where we can continue to show we can win away from home."

Tuqiri's knee problems have allowed him to spend some time at home and concentrate on the NRL finals. His tip for the grand final? "I hope Melbourne Storm, after all the shit they've been copping."

The news for another former Brisbane Bronco - Berrick Barnes - was more certain, with the utility back adamant the shoulder problems that forced him out of the Johannesburg and Brisbane Test losses are past him, and that he will be available for Hong Kong. As soon as Barnes arrived in camp yesterday, he met with team medicos.

"The doctor has had a look at it, is happy with it, and that's really positive," Barnes said.

While the Wallabies are relieved that Barnes is back, with the past two Tests defeats showing how crucial he is to the team's structure, the player is equally delighted he will be able to pass on a pest. At last year's World Cup, Barnes - as the youngest squad member - had to carry the team mascot - a stuffed Wallaby - around for more than a month. It was a dubious honour, especially as every teammate took it as their prime duty to try to steal it from him.

Now he can hand it over to James O'Connor, who, at just 18, is the tour novice. To make the handover ceremony easier, Barnes and O'Connor will room together this week.

"He [O'Connor] will be a good little colt to play a few tricks on," Barnes said. "Bernie [Stephen Larkham] was the king at playing tricks on me [with the mascot], and now we'll have to find someone to give him [O'Connor] some grief."

The Australian Schoolboys yesterday defeated Tonga Schoolboys 22-13 in Tongatapu.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i would like brown to get a few more games...palu on the bench i say!

BOKKE
    Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smits captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!- Jake White

vCash
    at least there is one tah who acknowledges that he isnt God's gift and that it is up to the STAFF whether he gets chosen, not when he thinks his knee is better. palu is gonna be waring with brownie bout who gets that jumper, and brown should get the first shot at it!! with a debut like browns how could you not get the jumper first...

lote please just go back to NRL and play for storm. not us. please.

thank goodness berrick is ok. he has made himself such a vital part of the team and it showed during those painful last two games. look after that shoulder please berrick!

james sounds like he is in for some fun with the mascot

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry