Thread: Storm slapped with record fine

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Storm slapped with record fine

Storm slapped with record fine
    Saturday, 27 September 2008
    Storm slapped with record fine - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

The NRL have imposed a record $50,000 (NZ$580,521.67) fine on the Melbourne Storm for comments made by coach Craig Bellamy and chief executive Brian Waldron following their team's 28-0 preliminary final win over Cronulla last night.

NRL chief executive David Gallop described the remarks by Bellamy and Waldron as "an unprecedented premeditated attack on the NRL and its judiciary system."

"The accusations that they made were irrational, baseless and at times bordered on hysterical.

"Those accusations attack the integrity of the NRL and its judiciary system and for that reason on Monday they will receive a breach notice for the sum of $50,000."

The fine is a NRL record amount handed out to a club for commenting on the game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Saw bits of his tantrum on the news, very funny stuff. How dumb is the bloke, it's finally clicked with him that the media will blow stories so far out of proportion that the story forgets what it's about.

vCash
    considering he waited 2 days after the guilty verdict I don;t understand his timing? Possibly becasue he will be missing one of his most important players for the decider next week. If they play like they did last night I don't think Cameron Smith's absence will matter.

I agree if he thought the media wouldnt blow it up he can't be too smart

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hate to see his response after a loss...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Im not a huge NRL watcher but i understand Cam Smith is the Storm, Kangaroos and a State of Origin (i don't know which state) captain. He won the Dally M medal too i think?
    He was suspended for a 'grapple' tackle, a technique that has been scrutinised all year, yeah?
    You gotta wonder why the Coach doesn't blame the player for being silly enough to get caught for this tackle after the fuss surrounding it all year.

But one thing i did agree with in his outburst is giving the media some curry for how rediculously stupid their stories get and how much influence the media wrongfully has in pushing it's own agenda.

vCash
    QLD captain

I definately agree with the last point about the media. The practice has been under scrutiny this year and last year, Cam Smith was retarded for doing it in the first place, espeacially during finals when there is always bound to be more scrutiny on such stuff.

Most of the media coverage in regards to this has been about how "wrestling techniques" are ruining the game and saying that stuff like the "grapple tackle" should be put out of the game, and I agree that they should be stamped out BEFORE someone does get a serious injury, wrenching at the head and neck isnt good for anyone

vCash
    What Smith did to Thaiday deserved a suspension. Like I said to you though jargs, 2 weeks seems a bit harsh especially when it includes the GF. But that's the carry over points system at work. Tough. I can see why they are pissed off though because there have been many instances where similar tackles have not been actioned by the Match Review Comittee. Had they hauled players in all season and had the referees sin binned players for grapples, this probably wouldn't have happened.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What Smith did to Thaiday deserved a suspension. Like I said to you though jargs, 2 weeks seems a bit harsh especially when it includes the GF. But that's the carry over points system at work. Tough. I can see why they are pissed off though because there have been many instances where similar tackles have not been actioned by the Match Review Comittee. Had they hauled players in all season and had the referees sin binned players for grapples, this probably wouldn't have happened.
    Unfortunately it would appear to be hard to prove. I agree that the judiciary needs to be more consistant, I think it's only the third time a player has been suspended for a "Graple Tackle", the second time Smith has been done for it though, he can't exactly complain about it, If he has to miss a Grand Final I say stiff shit

vCash
    nobody else got him suspended. the coach should be directing his rant at the player who brought his suspension on himself when he broke the rules.
    the consistency thing is a bit of grey area though. he was probably unlucky to get 2 weeks. but he did. he should have learnt after the first one. thats not really the issue at hand though is it? he did the wrong thing and this happened to be one of the times a player was pulled up on it. its his own bad luck and stupidity for breaking the law isnt it?

i'm thinking that he will be working on his tackling style over the break though. so it wont hurt him as a player in the long run will it?

vCash
    I liked David Gallop's comment: “Here's some leadership today - $50,000...”

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I liked David Gallop's comment: “Here's some leadership today - $50,000...”
    Coming from a guy who is running a league the size of the NRL I thought is was a cheap shot and showed how petty he really is. The Boss if a business like the NRL should have just let the fine do the talking. I bet this bites him on the arse one day.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.