Thread: Yanks are full-time on circuit

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Yanks are full-time on circuit

The International Rugby Board (IRB) has announced that the United States (US) will play in all eight events of the 2008/09 IRB Sevens World Series.

The new season, which marks the 10th anniversary of the Series, offers the US a first outing as a core team, having replaced Canada to join the other ever-presents on the Series: Argentina, Australia, England, Fiji, France, Kenya, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa, Wales and reigning champions New Zealand.

"Being able to grant US Sevens core team status is testament to the growth of Rugby that is taking place in their country following strong performances in the tournaments they have participated in over the last couple of years. Now they will be aiming to build further on their success and move up the Sevens rankings to put more pressure on the other core teams," said IRB Sevens World Series Manager Beth Coalter.
    The IRB Sevens World Series, along with Rugby World Cup Sevens 2009, is an integral part of the promotion of Sevens Rugby to the world's sporting community, including the International Olympic Committee as the IRB continues its campaign to have Rugby re-introduced into the Olympic Games.

Full story here
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe sounds a little political, but good luck to them. Wonder how Canada feels about it though

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Maybe sounds a little political, but good luck to them. Wonder how Canada feels about it though

Obviously "strategic" issues are in play but the USA did finish above Canada last year so fair enough...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    They did have to qualify and they qualified above Canada so I say tough bikkies Canuks

C'mon the

vCash
    Well;;; as much as I'd like to say the same (tough bikkies) to the Canucks; I really wish they were invited along with us.. as an (almost) impartial rugby fan, I'd love to see a 7s stop in the North - besides, I got to hang out with Canadian supporters last year in San Diego... they're alright, but the fact that the US can't beat them tends to upset me a little..which leads me back to "I want Canada to compete regularly in the IRB 7s if for no other reason than the US MAY finally win a match against them"- (plus it's fun to drink Mexican beer with the Northern Breed!) PS: Yea us! we finally got something right!

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 25-09-08 at 13:41. Reason: ps
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Oh I wasn't saying it's a good thing they're not there.....well in a way I was but only in that it means that whole continent is becoming a lot more competitive and that's only a good thing. Would it be good to see Canada and USA involved,......well yeah, but would be just as good as seing it with neither involved. It's the impartiality of entry that I like, the most capable nations compete and the other nations compete for the right to 'go to the show' That's surely an example of all that's good in sport!

C'mon the

vCash
    Well said; but I must selfishly say that having the IRB 7s in San Diego is great!! The US or Canada's position as full-time players probably won't prevent the event, but if both sides are "top-notch" then maybe more of us will fill that baseball park- which, by the way, is a pretty good rugby pitch!

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin: