McCaw won't turn his back on black
By JENNI RUTHERFORD in London - Sunday News | Sunday, 21 September 2008
McCaw won't turn his back on black - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Daniel Carter's imminent sabbatical to Perpignan will be closely monitored by Richie McCaw before he makes any decision to exercise his option to take time out from New Zealand rugby.

The All Blacks captain, in London for the announcement of the Barbarians squad to play the Wallabies at Wembley on December 3, remains resolute that he is not contemplating taking a sabbatical as Carter will do after the end-of-year tour to Great Britain.

"I haven't ruled it out but it's not in my thinking at the moment," McCaw said in London.

"If I did, it would be 18 months of rugby. I'll ask Dan how he found it when he gets back home.

"For me the clause (in his contract) was more about having a break but I'll see how DC gets on."

McCaw, who is in London to watch girlfriend Hayley Holt make her debut in the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing programme, said after his media commitments for the Barbarians he would not be going near anything rugby related while he was there.

That included going to Twickenham for a high-profile Help for Heroes Challenge match, which was to feature dad-to-be Jonah Lomu, who had to give up his place on the International XV bench because of an ankle injury, after flying out especially for the charity game.

McCaw will also be able to pick the brains of his Barbarians team-mates Jerry Collins and Carl Hayman, who are playing for Toulon and Newcastle Falcons respectively, after turning their backs on the All Blacks jersey.

Josevata Rokocoko completes a strong Kiwi contingent for the match.

World Cup-winning coach Jake White has accepted an invitation to coach the composite team for the Olympic centenary match, which includes seven Springboks including John Smit and Percy Montgomery.

McCaw, who last week agreed to play in the match that will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the London Olympic Games when Australia won the gold medal in rugby, jumped at the chance to represent the Baabaas.

"It is something I've always wanted to do," he said.

"It is something that I haven't had the chance to do because of playing schedules. But adidas are also involved and obviously there is a relationship with the All Blacks and my personal relationship and they were pretty keen because they are backing it. (Adidas are providing the special centenary replica jersey the players will wear.)

"This is a totally different set-up. There is nothing riding on it. Playing test matches you have all the other stuff that goes with it, whereas this is the game where you can actually be relaxed going into it, playing with some top players. And that's what I'm looking forward to.

"This game appeals because you can go out and play a game of rugby where you can have some fun.

"You still have to do it right, you can't risk getting hurt. I think it will be good fun and something different."

The clash against the Wallabies in Hong Kong at the beginning of November will be another different experience for the All Blacks but the intensity will be the same as usual.

With rugby competing to attract a worldwide audience, McCaw realises the commercial value of taking the All Blacks off-shore but questions the principles.

"For New Zealand and Australian rugby to keep surviving, if that's the way they have got to do it at the moment that may be the only option," he said.

"I can understand the reasons but whether it's ideal...?"

The match in Hong Kong will kick off a testing end-of-year tour to Great Britain, where Graham Henry's men will aim to complete another Grand Slam in three years to become the first team to beat the four home nations for a second successive time.

"No team has done it twice in a row and it is something we will strive for," McCaw said.

"It's not easy and you have to do it dead right.

"Throw in the Munster game and the Hong Kong game and that's five weeks of test rugby where if we are going to come out with the Grand Slam at the end of it and tick the other couple of boxes we need to get it right. That's the challenge."

After a triumphant Tri-nations and retaining the Bledisloe Cup, a victorious end to the season would help to heal the wounds of World Cup failure, McCaw said..

"We were all so hugely disappointed 12 months ago so you just want to get out on to the field and get it right for your own sake. It would be hugely satisfying (to win all six matches) but it will take a lot of hard work."