Stirling Mortlock raises bar for Europe

Bret Harris | September 20, 2008

THE Wallabies will have to find consistency to navigate what is arguably their most arduous tour of the northern hemisphere when they depart for Hong Kong and Europe next month.

For the first time, Australia will play a Bledisloe Cup match against the All Blacks in Hong Kong en route.

The Wallabies will then play four Tests, including matches against European heavyweights England and France, as well as Six Nations champion Wales.

They may or may not gain some respite against Italy, but they finish the tour with a gala match against a star-studded Barbarians side at Wembley.

"It poses significant challenges," captain Stirling Mortlock said yesterday.
"Anyway you look at it, it is a massive tour.

"There are six fixtures and all the matches are going to be pretty tough Tests.
"Hong Kong is first and then finishing up against the Baa Baas at Wembley.

"I'm looking at it positively and I'm pretty excited about the prospects. It's a great challenge, but a good opportunity for the group to develop and grow and hopefully put in some positive results out there."

The Wallabies have won six of their nine Tests under coach Robbie Deans, but they were up and down in the Tri-Nations tournament, which ended in a 28-24 loss to the All Blacks in the decider at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium last Saturday.

"The volatility that's happening in the global economy has come into our team," Mortlock said. "We'd like to have more consistency in what we do.
"I have no doubt when we play to our potential we can beat anyone, but we weren't able to maintain that.

"Whether that is a reflection of the intensity we have played in the Tri-Nations or whether that is a reflection of this team I'm not sure.

"The tournament was played with a tremendous amount of physicality and express pace.

"It was extremely draining. Perhaps that comes into the equation, but we would like to be more consistent."

Deans is looking forward to having an extended training block with the Wallabies to work on their skills before they depart for Europe.

"The progression we've made has been positive, but there are still things we know we need to work on," Mortlock said.

"To play an up-tempo, up-skilled game, you really need to have improvement in core skills and execution under pressure and fatigue.

"I'm sure that will be a focus point in the lead-up to the tour.

"We need more time as a group to understand what we need to do in certain situations, for instance, when the momentum has swung against us."

Mortlock had no doubt the Wallabies would be motivated for the All Blacks match in Hong Kong even though there was no silverware up for grabs.

"I guarantee it will be a great game," he said.

"Obviously, it's disappointing that it doesn't have as much hype around it as the last match did because the Kiwis have already retained the Bledisloe. "But we are pretty keen to go out there and have a good showing.

"To level at two apiece would be nice, but the Bledisloe (games) are among the biggest matches you can be part of.

"We'll give it all the respect it deserves and hopefully prepare accordingly and take that on to the pitch. It's the beginning of the tour and obviously you want to start on a good note. There is still a lot to play for for both parties."

Meanwhile, medical staff will assess winger Lote Tuqiri in four weeks to determine whether he is fit to tour.

Tuqiri had an arthroscopy on a knee last Monday.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html