Thread: Peter Fitzsimons Column 20/9/08

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Peter Fitzsimons Column 20/9/08

TEAM OF THE WEEK

Ryan Cross. He seems like a very good, rather than completely outstanding centre, but somehow when he has a Wallabies jumper on he just about always find his way across the try line.

Hoppa cheap shot

A Fitzphile was travelling through the Riverina last week, listening to local ABC Radio, when he heard the following conversation.
    Broadcaster I: "Did you see that John Hopoate has become the new heavyweight boxing champion of Australia?"
    Broadcaster II: "Yes, it's good to see him back in the ring … "
    And no, it wasn't Roy and HG!

more of this entertaining article here....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good read- not loving the opening joke though... stupid shire bogans- only grand final Cronulla even made in my time was the Super League one, which they lot anyway.

vCash
    Clearly others have been equally moved. Variety reports that Morgan Freeman is producing and starring in a soon-to-be-shot film, directed by Clint Eastwood, which tells the story of how that World Cup win by the Springboks helped heal post-apartheid race relations in South Africa. Freeman will, of course, play Mandela, while the man mooted to play Boks captain Pienaar is none other than Matt Damon.
    Not so sure about the making of a movie part....who on earth is going to play Percy and Schalk? They will have to find a woman and well, cavemen don't exist anymore so I guess they'll have to go for a bit of CGI on that one.

Not so sure that the win helped heal post-apartheid relations either, maybe people were more accepting of Jake White, but since he got the boot there has been racial slurs about the de Villiers and more arguements over the % of coloured players in the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Good read- not loving the opening joke though... .
    I'm surprised he had the temerity to use it. It's older than me. Only the team names change....."wot abowt dem Rabbitohs,..... Bombers,...... Dockers,......Tahs...........

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Not so sure about the making of a movie part....who on earth is going to play Percy and Schalk? They will have to find a woman and well, cavemen don't exist anymore so I guess they'll have to go for a bit of CGI on that one.

Not so sure that the win helped heal post-apartheid relations either, maybe people were more accepting of Jake White, but since he got the boot there has been racial slurs about the de Villiers and more arguements over the % of coloured players in the team.
    I think you're wrong there laura, the win worked wonders, much of which has unravelled since with the ridiculous, political days-of-our-lives shitpile that is SARU!

C'mon the

vCash
    I didn't think so, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention to SA rugby in the time between when they won the World Cup and the beginning of de Villiers reign.