Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Socceroos to call Queensland home

vCash

Socceroos to call Queensland home

I have put this up for another reason then point out that Football in Australia is waking from it's slumber. The fact that Townsville could possibly host a Socceroos game is just another slap in the face of fans of Football in Perth and those who feel that the State Government's ignorance of Rectangular codes has gone on too long. I have never visited Townsville but it looks nothing more then a regional centre, possibly similar to Albany or Geraldton etc. The ground there (Dairy Farmers Stadium) holds 25,000 at capacity since a re-vamp in 2003 (Australian Stadiums :: Dairy Farmers Stadium) and with a population of only 169,484 (as at 30 june 2007, http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/resources/...townsville.pdf) and yet a regional centre in far north Queensland will possibly be recieving Fixtures for the Socceroos and again Perth is left behind in the cold again.

The lack of a Dedicated Rectangular Facillity in Perth whether it be a re-vamped Members Equity Stadium or a new facility once again has cost Perth a chance to attract a fixture that would probaly attract either some form of tourism be it International or Hardcore Football fans from the rest of the country, and a fixture that would give Perth some form of International exposure as most International sporting events do. I think it is a rather sad joke that regional centres over east may be competing and beating Perth in regards to attracting events of International Quality

Socceroos to call Queensland home

September 16, 2008

A NEW five-year deal has locked in five Socceroos matches for Queensland - and ramped up Australia's bold bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) boss Ben Buckley announced the deal with the Queensland government that sealed at least four Socceroos matches for Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and another for either Townsville or the Gold Coast.

But Buckley also hinted that showcasing Queensland's venues to a predicted television audience of millions would help Australia's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

We are actively going to seek the right to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup - we would like to showcase stadia like we are at today, he told reporters at Suncorp Stadium.

Socceroos to call Queensland home - Football - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 16-09-08 at 22:23.

vCash
    Last time the Socceroos played here, only 13 000 people turned up - JO'N (when he was with the FFA), Frank Lowy and the head of the Asian Football Confederation were all at the ground that night so it was quite embarassing. I was there though... cheering for the other team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Last time the Socceroos played here, only 13 000 people turned up - JO'N (when he was with the FFA), Frank Lowy and the head of the Asian Football Confederation were all at the ground that night so it was quite embarassing. I was there though... cheering for the other team
    Well if the Glory start getting a crowd more then abysmal then the FFA would think about it, until then it won't happen.

vCash
    i was at that game as well. Horrible weather that day but it was pretty dry come game time, and the fact that most of the "A" team didn't play after the game on the saturday before against Iraq.

I just think its a joke that in terms of Infrastructure Perth is well behind the 8 ball and rates behind country towns over east
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Well if the Glory start getting a crowd more then abysmal then the FFA would think about it, until then it won't happen.
    I don't see how the Glory are to blame. Government organsations bid for stuff like this, in WA I think its "EventsCorp"?? I doubt Perth would come close to meeting the criteria. There is no stadium here. FFA dont want to play at Subiaco and the alternative ground is crap. Hence why the Force dont play there
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 16-09-08 at 22:55.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I don't see how the Glory are to blame. Government organsations bid for stuff like this, in WA I think its "EventsCorp"?? There is no stadium here. FFA dont want to play at Subiaco and the alternative ground is crap. Hence why the Force dont play there
    A large support would give the FFA a business case to come to Perth, they want to make the most money, like why we don't get Bledisloe's. It's just the way business works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    A large support would give the FFA a business case to come to Perth, they want to make the most money, like why we don't get Bledisloe's. It's just the way business works.
    So your arguing that Perth wont get a Bledisloe because the Force have crap crowds?

Despite still attracting good crowds and having some of the best corporate support in the land??

It is a well known fact that Perth doesnt get a Bledisloe test as one of the requirements/criteria for a Bledisloe test is a stadium that can hold 50,000 or more punters
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 16-09-08 at 22:57.

vCash
    So your arguing that Perth wont get a Bledisloe because the Force have crap crowds?

Despite still attracting good crowds and having some of the best corporate support in the land??

It is a well known fact that Perth doesnt get a Bledisloe test as one of the requirements/criteria for a Bledisloe test is a stadium that can hold 50,000 or more punters
    As I said, the business model for both cases aren't there, the Bledisloe is restricted by the stadium, the Socceroos are restricted by the stadium AND the crowd numbers, so it's not happening in a long time either way. Remember it's only until recently we got Wallaby games despite the pretty large support...

vCash
    as opposed to North Queesnaland that has no side in the A-League at all. I'm sure when the Glory stop playing like shit the crowds will return, Perth is the "Bandwagon Supporter" Capital of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Remember it's only until recently we got Wallaby games despite the pretty large support...
    What support was there for Wallaby games when Perth got it's first one in 1998 (against South Africa)? There was no Force then, and I doubt that they went by Club Rugby crowds. EventsCorp or whatever they were known as back then, in association with RugbyWA probably blew so much smoke up their own arse to get the game.

The main point I was higlighting was that in term of Infrastructure and luring events like this to Perth, it looks like Perth is way behind the rest of the nation

vCash
    North Queensland has room for expansion in the A League, Perth doesn't.

There are tons of English in Perth but the over-whelming majority support the teams from the old country. The Glory have a supporter base of a few ethnics and basically the people who aren't blind AFL fans. The growth of the game is fairly minimal as the A League hasn't really been embraced in Perth as in other places, probably because we have been so shite.

Remember with Rugby they would see the large amount of Kiwis and especially the large amount of Saffas (of which they seem to think make the majority of the populace) there was always a large potential for growth in Perth. ARU tested the waters through sending a touring side or two every now and again and were obviously happy enough with what they saw. Rugby was going great guns mostly to do with the form of the Wallabies and they obviously wanted to expand and broaden the potential opportunities to expand through out Australia.

The FFA are concentrating on gaining a solid foothold over East so will constantly throw money to stage matches there as frankly, from what Perth have shown, they don't have the supportership or the quality of player depth to be as important to the survival of football in Australia. The FFA don't have the old boys in NSW and QLD to prop them up, supporter-wise in case they failed like the ARU did.

Considering that whenever relegation in the A-League comes up in various articles the first team mentioned is just about always the Glory you can see where we sit at the A-League table. We are essentially the Dunedin of Australia without the proud history. I foresee us getting screwed over for a long time, much like Dunedin, I just hope one day the FFA is stable enough to expand in a speculative way towards Perth.

vCash
    The similarities between Perth and Adelaide continue with every day.

This was the article on the back page of today's Advertiser.

Facilities cost SA soccer coup
    A SOCCEROOS fixture bonanza that Football Federation Australia boasts has "put Queensland on the world football map" highlights Adelaide's future as a backwater without a new, multi-purpose stadium.

AdelaideNow... Facilities cost SA soccer coup

vCash
    North Queensland has room for expansion in the A League, Perth doesn't.
    I dont know why the A-League would need to EXPAND in WA considering there is a team here? Consolidate is the word i would use for Football here in WA.

The FFA are concentrating on gaining a solid foothold over East so will constantly throw money to stage matches there as frankly
    Once again Various state organisations attract the events, they bid for the events, FFA doesnt pay them to take them. Sydney and Melbourne are duking it out to see who gets the World Cup Qualifier vs Japan next June (i think)

The Glory have a supporter base of a few ethnics and basically the people who aren't blind AFL fans.
    Ethnics?? Ahhh yes becasue it's only wogs and ethnics that like Football in this country. That view is so stereotypical and I would expect anything else from a bloke who several months ago trash talked Vietamn Vets with a comment about a log ride and then trash talked the discovery of the resting place of HMAS Sydney.

I don't know when you last went to a Glory game but there were plenty of "non-ethnics down at MES at the weekend

from what Perth have shown, they don't have the supportership or the quality of player depth to be as important to the survival of football in Australia.
    Neither does Perth when it comes to Force in regards to Player depth. Perth is "Bandwagon centra;" when it come to sporting teams, and both home games have shown an improvement in Glory attendances this season. Still nothing flash, but improvement is better. On player depth the Youth League is to start at the end of the month and several of the kids the Glory have actually signed chose not to go overseas to trial but to stay in Australia so obviously the Glory and FFA are doing something right.

Considering that whenever relegation in the A-League comes up in various articles the first team mentioned is just about always the Glory you can see where we sit at the A-League table. We are essentially the Dunedin of Australia without the proud history. I foresee us getting screwed over for a long time, much like Dunedin, I just hope one day the FFA is stable enough to expand in a speculative way towards Perth.
    1. Relegation in Australia will probably never work, as much as it pains me to say the only competition in Australia at the moment that could sustain a Promotion/Relegation scenario would probably be the AFL

2. Every time the arguement comes up in Australia regarding Football I don't usually hear any clubs named, and in fact have not heard it for some time as an 8 team comp isn't the best for promotion/relegation.

Like Dunedin without the proud history? 10 years of history is still history mate, I am proud of the Glory for what they achieved in the past and hopefully what they achieve in future

The old NSL didnt really require large amounts of corporate money, the A-League does and unfortunately playing at MES where there are no real corporate facilities.

I wasn't pointing out the shortcommings of FFA when i posted originally, but highlighting the lack of Infrastructure in this state. I feel that if we had a decent stadium that Perth would be able attract events. So BLT I feel you have missed the point completly.

Just one more point, considering that FFA have only been an organisation for about 4-5 years they aren't doing a bad job. They have just lauched the W-League (games start at the end of October) and the Youth League, which also starts at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    The similarities between Perth and Adelaide continue with every day.

This was the article on the back page of today's Advertiser.
    ]
    unfortunately it seems the Sporting facilties stop after the Vic/SA border, even Melbourne will have a 30,000 seat rectangular stadium next year. I don;t know if the Melbounre Victory are to be using the ground through the A-League but I know the Melbourne Storm are moving in next year

Last edited by jargan83; 17-09-08 at 20:53.

vCash
    I dont know why the A-League would need to EXPAND in WA considering there is a team here? Consolidate is the word i would use for Football here in WA.
    Consolidate what? It's not like people don't go to Glory games because they don't know it's on, they go because they don't want to. Do you think the FFA are happy with the Glorys average attendance? It's not like 20,000 people show up when they are winning, it's always just at a general low plateau week in week out.
    Ethnics?? Ahhh yes becasue it's only wogs and ethnics that like Football in this country. That view is so stereotypical and I would expect anything else from an asshole who several months ago trash talked Vietamn Vets with a comment about a log ride and then trash talked the discovery of the resting place of HMAS Sydney.

I don't know when you last went to a Glory game but there were plenty of "non-ethnics down at MES at the weekend
    As I said, in Perth the support is ethnic plus people without large support of other sports. The English, of which the FFA would see as a HUGE reason to bring a game to Perth as of their large numbers mostly see the A-League as low quality and still support the EPL, if the Glory could get them on side then I could see a Socceroos game here. Keep in mind I went to an Ethnic school and went to a game or two back in the old days so am fairly in with the make-up.

As for the Vietnam thing? Care to quote it, I don't know what you're on about.
    And I clarified the HMAS Sydney comment that I wished them to be given a proper memorial as war heroes but my post was deleted.
    Like Dunedin without the proud history? 10 years of history is still history mate, I am proud of the Glory for what they achieved in the past and hopefully what they achieve in future
    Proud history of big matches, internationals etc. Otago is getting screwed over by the NZRU because of their crap crowds and poor form compared to the old days. I mean, to consider taking away an All Black game away from them was sacrilege but now there are other places the NZRU would benefit more from putting them, such is the same with the FFA, it's way down the list of possible places, hell, Adelaide will get a game before we do.

It's alright being all pie in the sky but let's be realistic, these are businessmen and do you honestly think they would put a Socceroos game in a place that has some of the lowest crowds in the A-League? Even if we had a great rectangular stadium there isn't much precedent at the moment that we'd come close to selling it out, or Subi for that matter. We need to get behind the Glory before we get the Socceroos. First they need to not put games on Sunday, a good Friday or Saturday night game with decent advertising would surely bring in decent crowds.

vCash
    youve missed the point again of there being no infrastructure for any game. And the main point of the original post was that Perth is nothing more then a country town as highlighted by the fact Townsville is higher in the pecking order. Adelaide wont get a game either because they have no infrastructure, unless they play it at Adelaide Oval, which in regards to capacity probably wouldnt stand up to what FFA wants. When the Glory were winning, the old Perth Oval would be full to bursting point. And i dont care about Otago, if they can't keep up with the pace of the modern world they can be left behind, i can see comparisons between Perth and Otago.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    youve missed the point again of there being no infrastructure for any game.
    If there was a business case for it the FFA would put a game in Perth, much like they are doing in Townsville, the ARU took the leap because there was enough support and they thought they could make money from it. The FFA doesn't see such a case, I think you are trying to take the situation to suit your own purposes but the fact is the FFA would put a game in Perth if they wanted to, proper infrastructure or not, but when they are getting 70,000 people coming to a dead rubber verse China and good A League crowds in the East it's a safe bet, the stadium isn't the issue it's the lack of A League crowds and the need for the FFA to consolidate their large gains over East.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast