The start of the new Australian rugby dream, and any meaningful success comes down to this one test in Brisbane on Saturday. A loss, and the only difference from 2007 is the South African Hoodoo broken, but at the cost of a record thrashing. A win, and regardless what happens in Honkers or Europe, this is the most successful year since 2001, with further glory to be had.

So what to expect?

I've read all the "thrashing is just what we needed" and "Robbie will come back even harder" stuff, largely pumped out by the Kiwis to try and somehow grab an underdog card. Well, let's face it, as much as we'd like it to be true, it's bullshit.

Let's face the facts.

When we won it in 2000, our losses were by 5 and 1 points. In 2001, one loss in RSA by only 5 points. There were no 45, or 24 point beltings, not by a long way. Thrashings are not good signs. Ever.

The wins? By 7 at home in Perth, over a McCaw-less ABs also at home, and then a pathetic Springboks in Durban.

Don't get me wrong, I see the progress in this team. The beginnings of where Aussie Robbie wants to take it along with the promising mix of talent that's coming through in the likes of Burgess, Barnes, Horwill, Robinson, Palu and Elsom.

But with three key injuries - to Burgess, Vickerman and Barnes - all of a sudden it's gone from an x-factor to make-do. Mortlock's playing at 12 for about the first time ever, and is the designated cover for our one remaining play maker and 10 - renowned concussionist Matt Giteau. This is with an ongoing experiment at full-back, broken line-out, fragile kicking game, worsening defence and against a full strength All Black team in a do or die match.

Our lifeline? Well, nothing short of a spectacularly ballsy performance with the right rub of the green and Giteau's radar spot on. And if someone could find Susy the waitress and get her to Brissy, that wouldn't hurt either.

link