Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Gold Coast team a super idea for rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    there was never an opportunity to represent the state at the same level of Super14. Under 21's and state representation at school level were about it really.
    There has always been a state team, before we got Wallabies games they used to play the touring teams. eg. Ireland, All Blacks etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    DO the Brumbies cop as much flak for their players not all coming from Canberra?
    Apparently they used to be the Eastern states media source of all evil before we came on the scene, so I suppose they are pretty happy we are around atm.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    There has always been a state team, before we got Wallabies games they used to play the touring teams. eg. Ireland, All Blacks etc.
    I remember being at the WACA back in 2001 for the WA State team vs Lions game. Lions won 110-5 i think, good crowd as well was there
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Speaking of WA's rugby past, does anyone have the clip that was shown in the first season of the Force where the Kiwi Ex pat playing for the state team standing in the middle of the Haka challenging the All Blacks? 86 I think it was from, the year I was born but was stirring stuff.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    This has been bought up before - I think there is a post from either the player who did that, or his family here on TWF somewhere....

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    TOCC, how about Sheehan? He's from Geraldton in WA. Now apologise.
    ok im sorry

sheehan is a reasonably good S14 player, but my god he is a embarrasment to the wallaby jumper..

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    By that logic, your team is as littered with non-super 14 players as ours!

and only a slightly higher percentage of "real" super 14 players who can call themselves home-grown....not bad for over 100 years as the premier code in the state!
    exactly, i would not dare call some of the players in the reds S14 players, as every other team in australia. Just because you play a few games does not mean you are a 'S14' player, there are so many players out there in every team that have the token few caps because of injuries to other players, they should not have had the chance to represent there teams.

secondly, Rugby is no where near being the premier code in QLD, i have never said this nor have i ever agreed with, your dillusional on that one. As for the comments regards QLDs history, well history speaks for itself and i dont need to talk up the reds on this one.

vCash
    gotta agree with tocc on that. When i was in Brisbane for the Force vs Reds game this year i found out that Brisbane/Qld love their Rugby League, blanket coverage on TV, i think it was Broncos vs Titans that Friday night down on the Gold Coast. I would have been there had the Force game not been on the Friday night as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    rugby league is queensland, in the profesional sense anyway, in the juniors and amateur parts rugby is actually only slightly behind league, its the professional teams that are the main factor, Broncos have being highly successful the past two decades, the State of Origin is the biggest sporting even in QLD for the year, and the Titans and Cowboys capture the hearts of there home towns.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What a crock, if you put on the Test jersey and run on the park you are a Test player, if you play a S14 match you are a S14 player.
    Find a different descriptor if you want to talk about how much experience they have.

You can add Adam Wallace-Harrison to the WA origin list.

One of the main reasons for a fourth team was to DEVELOP talent, not have a full squad in the first year.
    The other three teams were all happy until they realised the ramifications of what that would actually roll out to mean to them.
    Full marks to the Brumbies (probably due to having been through it themselves) for making sure their squad was pretty much signed up before the Force could get there, the Reds were in a pile of trouble before the Force came along and have off-loaded plenty of juniors and experienced players in the last three seasons.
    With the vast percentage of the 30k+ Senior Male Players in Australia being from NSW it is hardly a surprise that most S14 players come from there.
    The challenge is to be the team to sign them with the most attractive conditions for the individual.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ive always played in teams where they present the 1-22 jerseys at the end of the year, whoever played the majority of the games in that jersey got the jersey.

Its a fair way of acknowlodging the players who played the most througout the season, not completely fair to utlity players and players who get injured, but at the end of the day if you didnt playe enough games you couldnt complain. Not exactly relevant to the current argument but kind of explains where i am coming from.

As for Burgs, i didnt mean they werent 'S14' players, im just making a point that a few caps hardly proves there worth, plenty of useless and crap players have had there 1 hit wonders or made a few caps off the bench but they are hardly S14 standard, i belive until they have played a full season and made 10 or so caps the cant be considered 'real' s14 players.

Its like saying someone who once took drugs is a druggo, or a beer every second week is a alcaholic..

thats my opinion anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    or a beer every second week is a alcaholic..
    I believe the government is working hard to have the official definition reflect this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3