Thread: Raft of changes ahead for Wallabies

vCash

Raft of changes ahead for Wallabies

From Bret Harris in Johnannesburg, South Africa
    September 01, 2008

AUSTRALIA coach Robbie Deans is expected to make a raft of changes to the team to play New Zealand in the Tri-Nations decider in Brisbane on Saturday week.

Deans took several selection gambles which backfired in Australia's record 53-8 loss to South Africa at Ellis Park in Johannesburg last Saturday.

It is almost certain that hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, openside flanker Phil Waugh, inside centre Timana Tahu and second-rower Hugh McMeniman will not hold their starting spots against New Zealand.

Deans started Polota-Nau and Waugh ahead of regular starters Stephen Moore and George Smith in an attempt to provide the Wallabies with enthusiasm and fresh legs, but it did not work out as planned.

Polota-Nau struggled with his lineout throwing and his scrummaging, while Waugh was largely ineffective playing in a badly beaten forward pack.

There is no doubt Moore and Smith will regain their places in the first XV in Brisbane, which was always on the cards irrespective of the result in Johannesburg.

Deans opted for Tahu to make his run-on debut at Ellis Park to replace injured inside centre Berrick Barnes, but it became apparent he was not yet ready to start.

Tahu did not receive many opportunities to display his attacking skills and he got completely lost in defence with his opposing No12 Jean de Villiers cleverly exploiting his lack of experience and game sense.

With Barnes unlikely to recover from his shoulder injury for the All Blacks Test, Deans will probably go for the safer centre pairing of Stirling Mortlock and Ryan Cross.

Second-rower Dan Vickerman, who may have played his last Test for the Wallabies, has been ruled out of the Brisbane game.

McMeniman was one of the few Australian forwards who took the fight to the Springboks, but Deans may well decide the team will need the experience of Nathan Sharpe in such a big Test.

Sharpe fell out of favour after the Wallabies' 30-10 loss to the All Blacks in Auckland a month ago and he was originally excluded from the 28-man squad to tour South Africa.

After being recalled as a contingency for the injured Vickerman, Sharpe would have started in Johannesburg if blindside flanker Rocky Elsom's appeal against a one-week suspension had been dismissed.

The changes may not end there. Tighthead prop Matt Dunning's grip on the No.3 jersey appears tenuous after he was hooked early last Saturday and replaced by Al Baxter.

Deans may also consider starting Drew Mitchell on the wing or full-back in place of Peter Hynes or Adam Ashley-Cooper to improve the Wallabies' kicking game in the back three.

From: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    What a surprise....wonder if he planned as much beforehand?

vCash
    More intersting, Drew being touted as a solution to the team's kicking problems!

Even I reckon Drew's a pretty ordinary kicker! The thing he does have is a great chase and a threatening counter whick will make it less likely that teams will try to take out the chase.

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    If I were Deans I would consider putting in a call for someone like Tai MacIsaac. What is the point of keeping Polata-Nau around at this point?? His confidence is shot, and would you really want to bring him on, even for 20 minutes against the All Blacks. If the game were within 20 points I wouldn't want him out there. So what is the point of using a bench spot on a guy that would only get in if the game were a blowout?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    If I were Deans I would consider putting in a call for someone like Tai MacIsaac. What is the point of keeping Polata-Nau around at this point?? His confidence is shot, and would you really want to bring him on, even for 20 minutes against the All Blacks. If the game were within 20 points I wouldn't want him out there. So what is the point of using a bench spot on a guy that would only get in if the game were a blowout?
    Whats happened to the young stars like TPN and Josh Holmes? Both looked so promising but haven't really brought the goods recently. Is it the Waratah taint or is their some other reason?

Tai may not be as great around the field but in terms of line-out throwing and scrummaging he probably is the best in Australia and frankly with TPN's 3 runs and 3 turn-overs you couldn't get too much worse.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Josh Holmes got worse when he lest the Tahs....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Moses, what are you doing posting from BLT's account?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Good. Unload some of the deadwood Tahs.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    The downward spiral began the moment he put on that girl-blue Waratahs jersey. The Brumbies have him in rehab and for anyone who has seen Trainspotting coming off the drugs is always the hardest part.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Isn't he Luke Holmes' brother?
    Or is it just coincidence that there is a Luke Holmes, Josh Holmes and Greg Holmes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Isn't he Luke Holmes' brother?
    Or is it just coincidence that there is a Luke Holmes, Josh Holmes and Greg Holmes?
    Luke and Josh are brothers. Both are from Warringah in NSW. Greg Holmes is no relation.