Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Injury ends Caleb Brown's Force career

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if we could teach Usain Bolt to carry a ball?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Wonder if we could teach Usain Bolt to carry a ball?
    21 000 rugby players in Jamaica - there must be some sprinters in that lot

Rookie
    vCash
    To The Man.
    Read Nick Taylor's story. There was get out clause.

Rookie
    vCash
    This reporters pretty good. Look at his other stuff he seems to know what going on and gets a lot of stories first before the west

vCash
    sheesh, western force is really loyal to there players huh..

the poor bloke up rooted his life in queensland to move over there and as soon as he gets injured they cut him loose, what kind of example does that send to other potential recruits and current players.

vCash
    He was on dodgy legs at the reds and the had only just finished paying Lachie for his three games (years)

He knew about the injury clause when he signed!

C'mon the

vCash
    im under the belief though that many players actually sign with clauses like that, its not a hugely unusual thing to have in a contract, especially for older players and young unknown players...

i understand its a professional world these days, but to cut a player loose so early in his career is pretty harsh, his such a promising player and i was looking forward to seeing him suceed even though he left the reds.

I mean they havent left him in a very good position, in regards to rehabilitation and that sort of thing his in the cold a bit.

vCash
    realities of the business TOCC, the don't really have the cash to be paying the rehabilitation for three years. They have to look after the club or nobody has a contract.

Those things are in contracts for a reason, and we don't know everything about his medical report, but it is obvious that he wouldn't be an option which would end up in the black if you know what I mean. It sucks for the bloke, it surely does, but just like a player wouldn't have concern for the team if he was planning to move, once the decision is out there, it's better for all concerned to just cut ties and move on.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    sheesh, western force is really loyal to there players huh..

the poor bloke up rooted his life in queensland to move over there and as soon as he gets injured they cut him loose, what kind of example does that send to other potential recruits and current players.
    As apposed to the Reds who cut a really great guy, and good player, like Julian Huxley loose when he wasn't even injured? At least we had an excuse. I don't expect the Reds to have been at all different. Considering the amount of long-term injuries we've had (Lachie Mackay, Junior Pelesasa, Pat O'Connor to name a few) I think the Force has been pretty decent to its players.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    As apposed to the Reds who cut a really great guy, and good player, like Julian Huxley loose when he wasn't even injured? At least we had an excuse. I don't expect the Reds to have been at all different. Considering the amount of long-term injuries we've had (Lachie Mackay, Junior Pelesasa, Pat O'Connor to name a few) I think the Force has been pretty decent to its players.
    hmm, yeah so cutting a bloke in his prime where he has no shortage of contract offers is the same as cutting a bloke when he is down out and injured...

am i not the only one who see's something wrong with that?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd assume (with no knowledge of how these things work whatsoever) that if he injured himself during training, Western Force would have some sort of liability/obligation to get him back on his feet (literally)?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    hmm, yeah so cutting a bloke in his prime where he has no shortage of contract offers is the same as cutting a bloke when he is down out and injured...

am i not the only one who see's something wrong with that?
    No shortage? It wasn't like everyone was jumping at him to make him an offer. He had been a loyal servant to the Reds for years. Brown on the other hand had been at the Force for a few weeks and the Force would definitely made clear that if his problems flare up the deal is off. I happen to think the Force offered Brown a life-line, do you honestly think the Reds would have given him a full contract for the next season after such serious injury problems?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    No shortage? It wasn't like everyone was jumping at him to make him an offer. He had been a loyal servant to the Reds for years. Brown on the other hand had been at the Force for a few weeks and the Force would definitely made clear that if his problems flare up the deal is off. I happen to think the Force offered Brown a life-line, do you honestly think the Reds would have given him a full contract for the next season after such serious injury problems?
    actually julian was told that he will only be playing fullback, if he didnt like that then he could leave, i liked him as a player and it was one of many mistakes eddie jones made whilst coach, anyway he was signed within a week of leaving... yeah real unfortunate for him

regardless, how is huxley any different to james stannard, where is he these days? maybe him and brown can share a house together to meet there rent payments.

Last edited by TOCC; 02-09-08 at 03:41.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    actually julian was told that he will only be playing fullback, if he didnt like that then he could leave, i liked him as a player and it was one of many mistakes eddie jones made whilst coach, anyway he was signed within a week of leaving... yeah real unfortunate for him

regardless, how is huxley any different to james stannard, where is he these days? maybe him and brown can share a house together to meet there rent payments.
    Tell me TOCC does it get windy all the way up there on your pedestal?

Huxley isn't at all different to the James Stannard situation and I've not said it is. All I'm saying is that having to cut players who cannot play is a reality of professional sport and you can't say that the Force is any worse than the Reds or the Waratahs or the Brumbies. Just as choosing not to renew a contract if the player isn't right for you or the team is too.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm told Stannard is playing for Gordon in the Sydney Competition. That's the former club (he had a management role there) of RugbyWA manager Mitch Hardy who plays for University in the WA comp.

Can't vouch if this is actually the case, though Sydneysiders could easily confirm or deny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast