Thread: Wallabies Thumped in Jo'burg

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Thumped in Jo'burg

A return to a more structured approach paid dividends as South Africa thrashed Australia 53-8 at the fortress Ellis Park.

A proud 45-year record against the Wallabies remains intact, and the Boks will certainly feel they’ve regainied some pride with a commanding eight-try victory. Australia looked disinterested for the most part, and will begin their preparations for the Tri-Nations decider next week. However, when you look at this match in isolation, you have to commend the Boks for reverting to a more structured approach.

The tactical kicking was always going to be a factor at altitude. The Bok team looked light on kicking options ahead of this fixture, but the three boots they did possess were outstanding. Conrad Jantjes’s positional play was superb and his kicking out hand constantly had the Aussie defenders under pressure. Fourie du Preez was another who used the conditions to his advantage, finding space with metronymic regularity.

But the best man in this area was Butch James, who clearly thrived when asked to play to this pattern. His decision-making was spot on, and those nudges behind the Wallabies line were well followed by his chasers. James was the general in an army that were 10 times more efficient thanks to a winning battle plan. The what-ifs shouldn’t take the shine off a good win, but had the Boks played a game akin to the World Cup brand earlier in the competition, the results in Cape Town and Durban may have been very different.

The Bok scrum demolished the Aussies and after 31 minutes Robbie Deans made the tactical decision to replace Matt Dunning with Al Baxter. The lineouts were a mess once again, but the Boks often recovered the loose ball or pilfered an inaccurate Aussie throw. When they did get it right, South Africa used this set-piece as a launchpad for a multi-phase attack. Does this mean this approach is back for good? Hopefully a victory will convince Peter de Villiers of its necessity.

Phil Waugh failed to have as big an impact as expected, and credit must go to the Bok forwards for their accurate cleaning at the breakdown. Schalk Burger carried the ball strongly while Pierre Spies had his best Test of the year in an exemplary all-round display. The defence at the tackle point was impressive with Juan Smith dishing out some bone-jarring hits.

The ball rarely moved past Jean de Villiers when the Boks were in their own half, but when they were within striking distance they capitalised on their opportunities. Jongi Nokwe rounded off three first-half tries while Adi Jacobs cut the line and stepped the defence shortly after the break.

The Aussies were never in this contest, and it appeared as if they had been instructed to go out and have some fun. They played with very little structure and made some extremely poor decisions that were perhaps an indication of their standing in this competition. The heavy defeat will not impact on the Tri-Nations finale on 13 September, at least not from a log standing point of view.

The Boks gained the consolation victory but also won back the respect of their countrymen. Booed off in Durban last week, the rowdy Ellis Park chants built to a clamour as the score mounted. Nokwe was stretchered off after scoring his fourth try, but the acknowledgement he received from a 54 000-strong crowd was a tribute to both a man and team that provided some clinical and entertaining rugby.

The power-play and intelligent kicking for territory proved effective in the first half, and when the game opened up in the second, the Boks’s expansive style came to the fore.

The Boks return to Currie Cup action in the coming weeks but there is still the UK Tour to come in November. They’ve regained some pride with a big win at Ellis Park, but they must not forget how this victory was achieved.

The structured approach was what won them the 2007 World Cup and it was this strategy that blew the Aussies away in Johannesburg. Let’s hope this approach is here to stay.

Springboks - Tries: Andries Bekker, Jongi Nokwe (4), Adi Jacobs, Ruan Pienaar, Odwa Ndungane. Conversions: Butch James (3), Percy Montgomery (2). Penalty: James.
    Wallabies - Tries: Drew Mitchell. Penalty: Matt Giteau.

From Keo.co.za

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    go boks
    well deserved
    so glad they didnt listen to the coach otherwise they would have lost

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Lessons Learnt tonight - didn't work:

Waugh has done what he can time to move on
    Lineouts need people like Sharpie
    TPN doesn't preform well at this level perhaps in time

There is nothing like a good defence - Tahnu needs more game time

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    go boks
    well deserved
    so glad they didnt listen to the coach otherwise they would have lost
    HAHA, can't admit that a black man coached you to a victory?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    There is nothing like a good defence - Tahnu needs more game time
    preferably in Sydney club rugby

vCash
    but its true...they threw everything out the door and played what got thrown at them
    and it payed off...they should play like this more often i say

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    but its true...they threw everything out the door and played what got thrown at them
    and it payed off...they should play like this more often i say
    How do you know the puppet didnt tell them to play like that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    HAHA, can't admit that a black man coached you to a victory?
    Wrong If you look at the game plan that was played you will see that it wasn't anything like what Deilliers wanted them to play Word has it that the Boks went out onto the field with a gameplan based on the world cup gameplan and it payed of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How do you know the puppet didnt tell them to play like that?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It was said by the comentators in the beginning of the game

vCash
    disregard my last statement

Couldn't hear the commentators where I watched
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    It was said by the comentators in the beginning of the game
    Worse than that - the players got a real bad time last week from Press and Friends - the players sat down together and came up with last night's game plan - SA Rugby has bigger problems than even we imagined.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I don't recall seeing any shots of de Villiers in last night's Foxtel coverage. Were there any? Was he there?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I don't recall seeing any shots of de Villiers in last night's Foxtel coverage. Were there any? Was he there?
    i saw none
    i think the crowd booed when he came onto the field

BOKKE

vCash
    I would say Deans was keeping his starting team for NZ in 2 weeks fresh. I think we'll be seeing Cross back in the centres with stirlo moving in, IF Barnes isnt right yet. We'll also see Drew take his spot back on the starting XV again. And a Sharpe return to the locks, alongside Horwill, cos Hugh just didnt work out. And most importantly, Smith back into 7.

And i totally agree Waugh needs to move on. I don't see him playing a huge role in the wallabies anymore. I think it's time for someone like Pocock to be given a go.

To me, it was obviously a little disappointing to see the wallabies lose, cos it means it gives the bok fans something to cheer about.... finally.
    But then again, I take comfort in knowing that this was a dead rubber game and just didn't have any effect at all on the 3Nation standings. The boks are still 3rd on the table, and the wallabies are still in the running for the trophy.

If the boks did really not listen to the coach, then i think they shld do that. Cos they looked similar to the style they played last year. Safe rugby that relies on kicking for territory.

vCash
    Its a poor shame and poor form that none want to give the coach credit. What do we know of the team? Were we at the training sessions? Do we have some "inside knowledge"? There was similar pattern to this game and the one in which the Boks beat the ABs in New Zealand earlier this month, and it was interesting to see some of the players playing out of their skin. Now, say what you must regarding the politics of the game in SA but bottom line is he is the coach (whether its him or the people around him) and HIS team beat the Wallabies hands down. Congrats to Peter de Villiers and the team.