Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: where did it all go so so wrong?

vCash

where did it all go so so wrong?

why did it go SO incredibly wrong?

hmm...

was it.. the lack of western force players? who seem to be scoring ALL the points for the wallabies? hmm?

any other opinions? the above one is my favourite, but i honestly think they didnt turn up to play rugby. i dont know what they were expecting from the boks, but they sure gave them more than they were ready for!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    it was poor defence on the nokwe wing

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Lack of experience players in the lineout cost us. Tahu's defence was non existence causing the backline to be dragged in on defence leaving holes on the outside. First up tackles were poor. Also our tactical kicking was woeful. Nokwe was the weak link in their back 3 but we didnt put him under any pressure instead 95% of kicks went to Jantjes. Lack of kick chase emphasised the problem. Lack of intensity at the breakdown when in possession. Changing a winning team for no reason. To many Tahs.

or the short answer? we showed up

vCash
    The scrums was pathetic there was no half back and I think the Aussies only won a third of their own lineouts

If I can call them by name : Dunning, Cordingly were shockingly poor, Waugh was out of form no defence by Tahu and Sharpie not being in the team

vCash
    r u happy PB??

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    The boks deserved to win by playing great rugby, but they were 4 games too late.
    Everything almost seemed to go right for them. Ball bounced the right way, kicks stayed away from the touch line etc.

But the wallbies were shocking.
    Worst game i've ever seen them play. There's no excuse for the dropped balls, the miss passes, the 50-50 passes and the lack of chasing kicks.
    Their fitness might have been a problem, cos playing in Joburg must have gotten them tired by the first 10 minutes.
    Their breakdown work was woeful as was their line out. And the backline just didn't click.
    The front row was horrible, with TPN especially throwing the ball in horribly. (Moore was no better as well!). Hugh McMenimen and Horwill were non-existent. Horwill still looked like he was carrying an injury.
    Phil Waugh as a starter had a horrible game. He just didn't get himself into the game much and was slow to get to breakdowns.
    Elsom and Palu were prob the best of the forwards, but they still werent flashy at all. In fact, the worst games ive seen them both play this year.

In the backs, Cordingley didn't do too badly, and Sheehan just takes too long to get the ball out. We're definitely missing Burgess and his ability to get the ball out of the ruck quickly. Giteau had one of his worst games for the year. Tahu was a shocker and looked out of place. Should have been taken off in the first 20 mins. Mortlock was standard, but once again, still found lacking. And Hynes was aboslutely horrible. AAC just didn't get himself into the game, even though he got himself so much ball.

Definitely a disappointment to watch, but hey, i take comfort in knowing that this game wasn't even a key game. And that the Boks are still 3rd on both the 3nations table and the IRB world ranking(i presume.). And if this game was a record defeat, then i don't know what we should call last year's slaughtering of the boks 49-0 by the wallabies.

Anyway, the way i see it, Deans was keeping most of the team under cotton wool as well. I reckon we'll see Sharpe start next next week. And Smith, Mitchell and Cross all get a start as well. The boys will be fired up from this, and i think itll be a thriller of a game against the kiwis in 2 weeks.
    I'm pretty keen to head down and catch it in Brissie if there's still tickets available!

vCash
    It was a dead rubber (in terms of tri-nations standings). Maybe they weren't completely focussed on the task at hand.

Set pieces - shocking! 7 lineouts lost, both TPN and Moore had shockers. No real standout performances by Horwill and MMM, it didn't appear that we used Elsom as the third lineout jumper.

Defensive Line - Non existent, the number of times players moved out of the line, creating gaps which the yarpies exploited with great success. In the first half, the line was too narrow, allowing Nokwe to get across for a first half hat-trick.

Tackling - I didn't see a stat on missed tackles, but it appeared that we could not bring down the yarpies in a 1 on 1 tackle.

Passing - Lost count of the number of passes behind players, which resulted in losing ground behind the advantage line.

Team Selection - I had a bad thought about this game today were Gits to get injured, as there is no natural playmaker in the backs selected. Greg Martin highlighted this pregame as well. For playing at altitude in Joburg or Pretoria, kicking for territory is the main game plan used in the super 14 and it was going to be used again at test level.

In the first half, AAC was completely isolated on several occasions where all he could do was bomb kicks. There was no organised kick chase, giving SA plenty of time to measure kicks for territory. I felt that Drew should have been brought on earlier, as he has a superior kicking game to all the outside backs in the 22 selected (except gits).

These are just some of my thoughts on tonights game.

We were comprehensively outplayed across the entire width of Ellis Park. Congratulations to the Springboks on fighting back on the criticism that has been heaped on them this week.

Lets just hope after the criticism that will be placed on the wallabies next week, we can come back with a standout performance in the 3n decider.

vCash
    Too many Tahs, the fact is Force players play well as a team, hence their high ranking in Super 14 yet low Aussie rep number. The Tahs however have good individual talent yet cannot play as well as a team, there was ALOT of selfish play tonight.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    how the hell did the boks miss 35 tackles compared to our 32 ???

and we turned over 7 lineout throws, not 4 ???

vCash
    I would have thought that the stats were worse than that.

vCash
    To little to late for the Boks

It was a great game to watch though

vCash
    what i didnt like was: (in more detail...)
    our defence. we didnt work well in defence. noone knew where anyone else was, noone knew were to cover, it was just a mess
    tahu has just proved me right, and i didnt want to be right, but he is still not ready for test level rugby- YET
    our lineout needs sharpie and vicks back. mcmeniman was hopeless
    TPN and moore need to learn how to throw STRAIGHT!
    we took like 3 men to take down one saffa, leaving a massive gap in the hardly-there defence line.
    tahu did not work at all well with gits or mortlock.
    we need burgess desperately. sheenan makes crazy and pointless decisions too much and cordingly is not fast or fit enough for a full game.
    AAC needs to chase when he kick, otherwise its just giving bokke the ball and they are so dangerous when you do that.
    the entire team did not work together. too many new combos, and not enough time to get used to them.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    yeah those stats suggest the game was not such a thumping

vCash
    Just for the record

he Springboks powered to a record 53-8 victory over the Wallabies in their Tri-Nations rugby test played at Coca-Cola Park on Saturday.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast