hi all..
i got the TWF email about the state election and the politics of the afl stadium we'll have to share. by chance i'd heard the "homo head herbalist from tassie" on the radio that day. he had spoken quite well about a number of things.. which made me wonder what the greens pollicy was for the staduim. i've developed the habit of making sure my vote arives at one of the major parties by way of an independant, or minor party candidate over the last few elections. so i emailed the greens to see what their pollicy was. it's not to enlightening, but for those that are interested, here's the responce i got..

I am responding to an email you sent to Greens MLC Giz Watson on Monday.

I share your concerns, both as a member of the Western Force and also because I do not think the development on the local community has been adequately considered.

I see this development as a poor compromise that heavily favours AFL with little concession to "rectangular pitch" sports and I think the Force will suffer as a consequence. We should have a dedicated pitch on another site, for example E Perth. So building a new oval stadium for AFL, as you say, is probably a very expensive white elephant. We may find ourselves in a situation where we will want to build a rectangular stadium in the near future. I don't know if any of the other political parties are in favour of unnecessary and poorly thought out development, we certainly aren't.

The development also threatens aspects of the local community, the plans also show 2 new railway crossings that will result in s significant increase in through traffic to West Leederville and Subiaco. There has been no community consultation to date, and as the plans are very advanced I can only assume there is not likely to be any.

In summary, the development does not provide us with an adequate solution and is has significant adverse local consequences. For both of these reasons we should support a review of this development and suggest that we reconsider our options.

Regards

George Crisp
Greens candidate for Churchlands