Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warnbro Electorate

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    the "managed by a trust" is bullshit isn't it?

Wasnt that the purpose of the meeting with the AFL and Demitreiou?

The AFL got the managing rights for a few years to "see how it would go?"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 22-08-08 at 23:49.

vCash
    Paul,

I've just read your reply to a Mr R Hill on this website.

Warnbro Electorate - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site

I hope you consider the other issues detailed in his reply more carefully. $1.1 billion is a LOT for a stadium so it would be an unforgivable mistake in the eyes of we taxpayers and voters to get it wrong. It's not just the minority code supporters who think you've got it wrong. Just about every professional sports commentator thinks so as well.

(Name and address supplied)

The link to Papalia's e mail is

Paul Papalia

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    the "managed by a trust" is bullshit isn't it?

Wasnt that the purpose of the meeting with the AFL and Demitreiou?

The AFL got the managing rights for a few years to "see how it would go?"

That's a line very worthile persuing with the pollies too. I'd suggest we get in the ears of as many political or sports journos as we can as well.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 22-08-08 at 23:50.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I just got a phone call from Mr Papalia, he wanted to be sure I wasn't going to savage him in the papers I guess.....bad call, he stated (and I quote) "I am definately Pro Stadium and some people aren't" When I questioned him about the issues with the stadium and the fact that the WAFC had to be paid off to become priority tenants of said stadium, he couldn't comment about that...It seems Mr Paplia can't comment on anything outside the ministerial press releases. It appears Warnbro has Mr Carpenters hand controlling our Labour candidate

C'mon the

vCash
    Don't suppose he could help with the origin of the $450 million figure either then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Don't suppose he could help with the origin of the $450 million figure either then?
    Was it mentioned in a report somewhere...maybe a press release, he seems to be really good at reading the stuff Alan Carpenter wants him to read!

C'mon the

vCash
    i cant find it.... the numbers I found in the taskforce report were about ongoing operating costs (and those magnificent assumptions about how MORE people will go watch S14 at the Albino pachyderm (28k)than at a dedicated 35,000 seat stadium(26k), having previously said Rugby WA's figures at a rectnagular ground were too optimistic(30k)) but none on construction costs- though at the time, the MPS was being quoted at 600 million, so do'nt konw how much faith to put into those number anyway.

Last edited by Swee_82; 21-08-08 at 17:00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    i cant find it.... the numbers I found in the taskforce report were about ongoing operating costs (and those magnificent assumptions about how MORE people will go watch S14 at the Albino pachyderm than at a dedicated 35,000 seat stadium) but none on construction costs- though at the time, the MPS was being quoted at 600 million, so do'nt konw how much faith to put into those number anyway.
    I didn't put any faith in those numbers swee. Let's face it if 600 mill can blow out to 1100 mill for the one they want 445 mill can easily trim down to 250 mill to build the one they don't want!

It's all creative accounting and the massive smoke and mirrors exercise that was the Major Stadia Taskforce.

One thing I was interested was the comment in Papalia's reply which said the Government was committed to a TWO STADIUM policy with a 35,000 seat rectangle being built as soon as the business case supports it. Now I asked him to commit to supporting this on the phone and he obviously didn't have a bloody clue what he copied and pasted from John Kobelke's email and the blurb at the bottom that Julian Grill told him would look good, He wouldn't commit to anything but being "pro-stadium" whatever the hell that means. I guess he feels that he's serving his constituents by ensuring that a large chunk of State revenue is spent in an electorate 45 minutes drive north of his.

C'mon the

vCash
    For those keeping score at home, The Greens candidate was at least honest. Somehow his lack of a commitment to anything sounds a lot more positive than Labour's strong commitment to a two stadium policy which will never see the light of day. I note with interest he mentioned his sports fan status, that at least means he actually gives a toss what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Booth
    Dear Mr Hill

Thank you for your enquiry.

As a football (soccer) fan I am very much aware of this issue!

The Greens (WA) do not have a formal policy specifically relating to this subject. We do, however, believe that all sporting codes should have equal access to government funding whether it be in the form of subsidies or infrastructure etc.

The Green (WA) are a community based political party who value the opinions of the wider public. After the election, one of our parliamentarians will have a dedicated sports portfolio. Who that person is will depend on the election results but I would encourage you to contact that person with your thoughts on this subject.

I hope that is helpful.

Regards

Colin Booth

The Greens (WA) candidate for Warnbro

C'mon the

vCash
    I dare say that is the most honest response you have got yet!

vCash
    at least it's an honest answer. Unfortunately it does nothing to dispell the theory that the Greens have no policies about anything other then the environment
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    at least it's an honest answer. Unfortunately it does nothing to dispell the theory that the Greens have no policies about anything other then the environment
    Posted via Mobile Device
    And legalised marijuana, bloody hippies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    One thing I was interested was the comment in Papalia's reply which said the Government was committed to a TWO STADIUM policy with a 35,000 seat rectangle being built as soon as the business case supports it.

Problem is, if a rectangular stadium is approved, the ass falls out of business case for the grand ediface to Carps that is the MPS and it's fancy bloody WCE/FFC coloured lights outside.

Nowhere is anyone interested in realising the premium in revenue that would come from hosting rugby in a suitable bloody venue!!! (i.e. the 50% of people who dropped memberhips cos of the crap view would be inclined to take them up again)

Last edited by Swee_82; 21-08-08 at 17:07.

Apprentice
    vCash

Response from 'He whose number was lost but is now found'...

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Shane Bathgate - Liberal
    Ph - not known
    email - shane.mitchell-bathgate@wa.liberal.org.au
    Jeez that was like pulling teeth!
    Seriously, I'm on the phone to the Liberal Party now....they don't know either!
    On hold again, it's been like ten minutes now!
    Hi GIGS20,

As Shane Bathgate, the ordinary bloke who went to school in Queensland and was brought up on a steady diet of Rugby, I have to say straight up that fans have received a raw deal for far too long.

Who else went along to the Western Reds games and cheered them on at the WACA? The chant of "c'mon you reds", albeit borrowed from the EPL, was about all that kept your teeth from chattering in the rain. With the launch of Western Force there was once again much enthusiasm that long-suffering fans would finally get a decent rectangular stadium. To date there have been many promises made and extensive consultative processes sought, but as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow we are still no closer to a truly first class home for a number of sports, not just rugby union.

As Shane Bathgate, the resident of Secret Harbour, I say think outside the square. Why not build a train station at Secret Harbour and develop the Lark Hill Sports Complex into a centre of sporting excellence? The people of the Warnbro electorate deserve fair and open representation and what could be fairer than bringing Super 14 and International rugby closer to home?

As Shane Bathgate, the Liberal Candidate for the seat of Warnbro, I say the State Government has lost its way over the past eight years, lacking the initiative and foresight to move forward. It is quite clear that they take the people of Warnbro for granted and fail to engage with the very community which they are supposed to represent.

Despite being one the best sporting complexes in Western Australia, the Labor Government failed to include the $26M Lark Hill Sports Complex in their proposal to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games. What possible hope do rugby fans under Labor have to realise their dreams of a decent rectangular stadium they can call home?

For anyone who is interested here are my personal contact details:
    Ph: 0412 012 811
    Email: smbathgate@aapt.net.au

Regards,

Shane Bathgate
    Liberal Candidate for Warnbro

Last edited by ShaneWarnbro; 22-08-08 at 23:40. Reason: That is one G not two in GIGS20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneWarnbro View Post
    Hi GIGS20,

Who else went along to the Western Reds games and cheered them on at the WACA? The chant of "c'mon you reds", albeit borrowed from the EPL, was about all that kept your teeth from chattering in the rain. Regards,

Shane Bathgate
    Liberal Candidate for Warnbro

Well Shane thanks for the reply. Now if only Colin Barnett would let us know what is your party's official line many of us could make an easy decision on who we're gonna vote for.

I used to love that call at the WACA. I was wondering if I'd hear it at Lark Hill last Saturday night. Maybe me and jono should have started it ourselves. I thought it was borrowed from the Salford Reds.

Last edited by shasta; 23-08-08 at 00:16.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast