Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frontrowers debate, inspired by an idiot

vCash

Frontrowers debate, inspired by an idiot

Check out this link to the Roar, absolute tool questions union props fitness...

Why do union props always look so unfit? The Roar - Your Sports Opinion

Have your say, i certainly did...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Checked out the idiots forum and had my say what a dick head.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Frontrow, this dude knows his rugby. fridgey said | Today | Report comment

Gavin, you truly are a deluded individual…
    Two different codes, two different skillsets…
    I have played frontrow in both codes and can honestly say that league props need to have a supreme level of explosive power and good aerobic fitness to be able to move forward rapidly when required and be able to break tackles, and to be able to run back ten metres, then forward to make the tackles, which is why rugby is totally different.
    Rugby props need to be able to contest all scrums at 100% (as opposed to the farce that is a league scrum), make it to the progressive rucks and mauls, to clear out the offending opposition, or pick the ball up and drive to create a platform for the next phase repeatedly until the backs are ready to use it (and then if you are seagulling in the backline you are instantly prepared to back up the runners or accept the ball yourself if called upon), and this can go on indefinately until a knock-on or infringement or the ball is out of play, thus creating a new challenge to be undertaken, ie scrums, Lineouts, set pieces…So if you see a 110kg plus man breathing heavy and coasting to the next scrum or lineout understand the workrate he is achieving is enormous. I used to think of lineouts as the only time you have to catch your breath, if only for a few seconds as being number one in the lineout meant lifting duties, and being hooker meant throwing in then wrapping around to create a maul, well, you get the point…20 seconds of heavy breathing here or there doesn’t mean we are unfit, just done a sh*tload of work…
    Gavin, you really are an uneducated rugby supporter, thats for sure…

Nice work, from The Roar.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    The Roar is full of bloody drongos, just look at some of the AFL fanboys who seriously think their sport is taking over the world slowly but surely.

Player
    vCash
    i agree with the statement "Two different codes, two different skillsets"
    league props are generally more agile and have more explosive power
    union props generally are required to be a lot bigger to properly contest scrums and form/control the rucks/mauls
    as a result of carrying around more weight union props may on average be less fit (which leads to the sea gulling)
    but thats the price you pay for the size advantage
    to be honest if your not blowing hard your not doing your job properly regardless of which rugby it is, especially if your a forward

vCash
    "I suspect a cultural hangover from the amateur days when the game was an excuse for a drink and I think it’s about time we brought some league props over."

Id like to see that, most wouldn't stand a chance in a real scrum!
    as for open / broken play with rucks and mauls most leauge players that come over to Rugby have a lot to change in there game to be a sucessfull player, Either learning the finer points of tactical scrummaging, the basics of contesting in the ruck (blowing over and counter rucking) and the skills some have immense trouble with is letting go of the ball when off their feet and tackling with arms.

"I’ve been looking at both league and union players over the past couple of decades"

mabey so, But i suspect it has all been from the comfort of his lounge chair.

<>

vCash
    I came in this morning and there is another 20 more posts in relation to this debate in my inbox, this has really struck a raw nerve with a lot of people, and gavin (the dick) has replied to the argument and still maintains he is correct, tosser...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Personally I think they need to come up with different playing position titles for mungo Frontrowers to better describe their playing duties.
    Kudos for the best positive options.

Hit-up
    Follow-up
    2nd Pivot
    maybe....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I still cannot believe this bloke, he reckons league players will find it easier under ELVs to cross over to union as the breakdown will be weakened via the new laws...Complete twat...Not to mention that scrums in union actually engage...

vCash
    Agree with you there frontrow and the fact that there are mauls and the play goes on after a tackle not a 5 second break for everyone so they can all run back to their place and then play it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Hit-up
    Follow-up
    2nd Pivot
    maybe....

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I must apologise to my fellow TWFers as i have used my actual nickname on this ROAR forum, so if your looking for my input it is under the title of FRIDGEY, sorry numbat, i mean Krusher...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not really fishing there Shasta.
    Just looking at changes for the times, Props are Props because they prop up an active scrum as their major role in life, that is no longer the major role of a mungo "Prop".
    A Hooker is a Hooker for his skill at hooking the ball in a contested scrum, that is no longer the realistic role of a mungo "Hooker" where they are really a second Scrumhalf.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Not really fishing there Shasta.
    No arguments here, Burgs. The "scrum" is my major disappointment with modern RL.

As an aside I've seen two fairly hilarious examples this season. One in the NRL where the ref awarded a short arm scrum penalty and said "you can't push like that" and a couple of weeks ago in a Queensland Cup match where, surprisingly, both packs seemed to want to contest scrums. Gerry Collins (The commentator) questioned his colleagues "Are you allowed to do that these days.?"

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    WHO's The numbat?????

Apology accepted ;p

<>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast