Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Boks coach hammered for whitening team

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Boks coach hammered for whitening team

Boks coach hammered for whitening team
    By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven | Wednesday, 13 August 2008
    Boks coach hammered for whitening team - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

The colour issue has raised its ugly head in South African rugby again with Springboks coach Peter de Villiers under fire for his selections to play the All Blacks after axing fullback Conrda Jantjes and halfback Ricky Januarie for the vital Tri-Nations match in Cape Town.

Reports in South Africa say Cedrick Frolick, vice-chairperson of the parliamentary sport portfolio committee, is unhappy with Januarie being replaced by Fourie du Preez and Jantjes giving way to Percy Montgomery who will play his 100th test in the match at Newlands.

De Villiers, the first non-white coach to be put in charge of the Springboks, has had few distractions in this area up till now.

But it seems he's under fire for this weekend's home fixture with just four black players in the starting XV - wings JP Pietersen and Bryan Habana, centre Adrian Jacobs and prop Tendai Mtawarira.

Januarie, who got the Boks home against the All Blacks for their historic 30-28 win in Dunedin last month, is on the bench along with Jantjes, who has been in hot form. Prop Brian Mujati is also in the reserves.

"It was Ricky who helped make history in the House of Pain," Frolick said on South African website SuperSport.

Then he put on a selector's cap to offer de Villiers a bit of advice.

"Personally, I think Ricky has proved himself as South Africa's leading scrumhalf. Is it Fourie's World Cup status that now elevates him above Ricky. In my view, Fourie has done nothing to justify a place in the starting lineup."

Frolick said he felt de Villiers had selected Montgomery for sentimental reasons, allowing him to raise his century of test appearances in his old home city.

"Conrad Jantjes is, on present form, the No 1 fullback. It is worrying that people make decisions with their heart to give someone (Montgomery) his 100th test cap."

Frolick made no attempt to hide the race issue and believes de Villiers is being driven by success in results rather than transformation. In Frolick's mind the 2008 Boks are relying too much on the World Cup winners shaped by the previous coach Jake White.

"This creates questions about where we are heading I know Peter wants to win the Tri-Nations but he must realise he will be measured according to his ability to transform the team and to make it representative of the country's population for the 2011 World Cup.

"We have also seen nothing of the new type of rugby that Peter has spoken of.

"It is interesting that coloureds and blacks traditionally support the All Blacks when they play at Newlands.

"Is the team that has been selected of such a nature that it will ensure the support of most South Africans?

"We cannot repeat the cycle of the White era. We must build for 2011. It is easy to fall into a comfort zone. Peter should be reminded of his mandate.

"It's not all about transformation but it (transformation) is an important part of it. Not one black player has let South Africa down this year."

De Villiers, who comes from Cape Town, has a two-year contract. Despite his apparent responsibilities to transformation he was adamant on his appointment that he would always pick the best team, regardless of colour.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Reports in South Africa say Cedrick Frolick, vice-chairperson of the parliamentary sport portfolio committee, is unhappy with Januarie being replaced by Fourie du Preez and Jantjes giving way to Percy Montgomery who will play his 100th test in the match at Newlands.
    so now Percy will be a political prisoner as well??

in all seriousness this is just rubbish, and the in a few things that i have the read the puppet of saffer land has been quoted as saying that he will pick the best team regardless of race/colour? All the coach should have to do is pick the best 22 regardless of all this politics and "transformation" rubbish.

So this Cedrick Frolick fella would be happy to see South Africa lose and have this stupid nonsense in place then actually see his beloved saffers win??

vCash
    this kind of thing happening really upsets me. south africa is a nation of rugby, ive known that all my life, but their politics are getting rid of it from them, by letting their teams be dictated by skin colour. making a team black doesnt destroy their competitiveness, but it kindof makes it... less competitive. this country lives, breathes and dreams rugby, and to take that away from people is so wrong. they should be able to play the best men because of their ability, not skin colour.

from what i last heard (which isnt too recent but still), 80% of employees in south africa have to be black. and people are thinking of extending it to rugby teams too. 80% of the starting XV have to be dark skinned, 80% of the bench and all of it, 80%.

telling a kid he cant play for the boks because he is white is disgusting, and i really really hope it doesnt get to that stage.

Last edited by robyn <3; 13-08-08 at 18:18. Reason: i said 'take that away' 3 times in 3 sentences..

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    o well.....the government better get over it...it might just do the team good

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    o well.....the government better get over it...it might just do the team good
    i doubt they will with lines like this

Quote Originally Posted by ;158262

"This creates questions about where we are heading I know Peter wants to win the Tri-Nations but he must realise he will be measured according to his ability to transform the team and to make it representative of the country's population for the 2011 World Cup.

"We cannot repeat the cycle of the White era. We must build for 2011. It is easy to fall into a comfort zone. Peter should be reminded of his mandate.

"It's not all about transformation but it (transformation) is an important part of it. Not one black player has let South Africa down this year."

vCash
    that is also a load of crap.
    if a player is better than another player, then they should be in the team

vCash
    Heyneke Meyer should have been appointed coach when Jake White left, De Villiers was voted in on his skin colour. It was put to the vote last year how many percent black players should make up in the team but it was over ruled. The coaching spot is all political.

The best man should get the job and it should not be based on skin colour. This is the way the world is turning unfortuately.

South Africa's loss is the Leicester Tigers gain.

vCash
    i dont like how they want a completely black team...if the player is ready or is up to the level they should play....but if they are choosing them for there colour its not right

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Heyneke Meyer should have been appointed coach when Jake White left
    he should of and the government should of asked jake white if he wanted to extend his contract which they should of done but they didnt and thats why jake white was peed off.

BOKKE

vCash
    So a coloured coach is not slated for not picking enough coloured players (isn't white a colour?) in the team?!

The world of South African rugby has officially gone MAD!!!

What next? Will there be a requirement to have a suitable multi-racial mix in the CHEERLEADING squad?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    we will never know

BOKKE

vCash
    I'd like to hear the opinion of that monster of a commentator in SA. Can't imagine he keeps his opinion of things too quiet. Although being on TV I'm sure he keeps it to himself until he's in the pub with his mates.

He is one Bok loving monster of a unit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Heyneke Meyer should have been appointed coach when Jake White left
    aparently the South African Players Association were surveyed as to who they wanted as the new coach and Meyer polled 77%

Peter de Villiers names Boks first black coach - Telegraph

just confirms the opinion that he is a puppet

Last edited by jargan83; 13-08-08 at 18:49.

vCash
    ahaha he sure is!!!

BOKKE

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    (isn't white a colour?)
    It sure is and round is a shape.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast