Thread: AFL team signs Rugby Union Player

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

AFL team signs Rugby Union Player

from Sydneyswans.com.au

Cross-code Canadian becomes a Swan

THE SYDNEY Swans have signed Canadian rugby union player Mike Pyke on a two year international rookie deal.

The 24-year-old scored a stunning try for Canada against the All Blacks in the lead up to the 2007 World Cup as well as playing every match for his country in the tournament itself. Pyke has since played for his country in the Churchill Cup this year and has just finished a two year deal with French club US Montauban. Previous to that he spent two years with Scottish rugby side the Edinburgh Gunners.

“It’s all happened quite quickly so I’m just really excited about it all,” Pyke said.

“The guys have been great. It’s been brilliant so far.”

The 200cm tall, 105kg rugby full back completed a one week trial with the club at the end of June and will remain in Sydney working one on one with the coaches to develop his skills before starting his first AFL pre-season in November.

The Swans have Pyke’s best friend and Canadian ex-pat Matt Woodland to thank for the acquisition. Woodland became enamored with the game during his time living in Melbourne, and came to believe that Pyke was a perfect fit for Australia's indigenous code.

“He really encouraged me and said that I would be perfect for it and that I should investigate it,” Pyke said.

Woodland then emailed Michael Quinlan of Top Dog management. One thing led to another and soon the Canadian was granted a trial with the Swans.

“Because the Swans have been so successful in fast tracking the development of other foreign players from different codes, like they have with Tadhg Kennelly, they’re an ideal club for Mike,” Quinlan said.

“Through researching him it became clear that he was suitable: he’s a 200cm guy who can run a hundred metre sprint in under 11 seconds; he’s got great agility for his size; he’s got a great ability to run with the flight of the ball and catch the ball.

"Against the All Blacks he intercepted the ball in the last line of defence and ran the length of the pitch to score a try.”

Quinlan believes his professional background will help him adjust to the new sporting code.

“He’s not coming from an amateur sport. He’s coming from a professional background so his diet is perfect, he’s meticulous in his preparation. He’s travelled the world to play rugby so relocation is not such a big issue for him.”

The rugby player’s time in Sydney isn’t his first brush with Aussie Rules. During his time playing with the Edinburgh gunners he spent time with Michael Byrne, a former Swan who was working as a rugby kicking coach in Scotland.

“I did a bit of work with him or ‘Mick the Kick’ as he’s called in the rugby world, when I was younger, so I sort of knew a bit about the mechanics … When I came here a lot of the stuff they told me was similar to what he had done with me.”

Pyke now looks at his chance encounter with the former Swan as perhaps sealing part of his fate.

“It’s amazing how things happen like that, and everything intertwines. So there probably was a reason why I met him.”

The Canadian cites the ruck as his possible future position and is certain that his rugby skills will help him adapt to AFL.

“There’s so much running, kicking and catching involved which are a lot of the components that go into being a full back in rugby.”
    Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    How long until he realises the game is shite?

vCash
    only a matter of time

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon it's WaratahJesus they've recruited ....

vCash
    aha

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    How long does it take to get Residency in Australia??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    To play AFL you just need a lobotomy and a 457 visa - they can't get any lobotomised locals any more...

vCash
    He will show them how to tackle

vCash
    GAYFL is like a game of chess, in which there are 18 queens on the board for each team.

vCash
    y would u go to afl anyway.......RUGBY IS WAY BETTA!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    How long does it take to get Residency in Australia??
    Why would he need that? Not for national selection that's for sure.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    How long until he realises the game is shite?
    probably depends on the paycheck they give him

Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    y would u go to afl anyway.....
    he can probably make more money playing cross country basketball then he would playing Rugby in Canada, unless he is picked up by a club in Europe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    y would u go to afl anyway
    money is needed to do that whole eating thing he is so fond of

vCash
    aahaaa

BOKKE

vCash
    I know another Canadian with great kicking skills.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvMKkC1kjA[/YOUTUBE]