Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Monty to start his hundredth

vCash
    earlier on his career there could have and probably were better/more expierienced players, can't blame the other players for keeping him out of the starting side can we??

I just think it cheapens the National jersey of any country in any sport for players to pick and choose when they do and don't play. Obviosuly if there is injury or they have a form slump and don't get selected you would understand someone missing out, but just so someone can feel a little bit warm and fuzzy when they run out in a milestone game is stupid. Anyone can shoot me down if they think it doesn't but thats my opinion and i'm sticking with it

Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post

He made a huge boo boo in Wales in 2003 when he pushed over the touch judge and was banned for two years which meant he missed the 2003 world cup.
    so he would have notched up 100 Tests 2 years ago only god knows where? so what if he was 2 test away from doing it and 7 tests away from playing at Newlands? He would have set out that long then decided to come back and play?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Isn't it the same as someone that wants to play his last game in front of his home crowd to say thanks for the support of his club and his people ??

It shows respect towards his club and his province and his people !!

If you haven't at least played for a premier side for a season and if you haven't experianced the bond that exists when you are part of that family then you won't understand.

vCash
    OH, and what would have happened if his replacement had amazing games?
    "yeah mate, you played better than perc has all year. but we are still giving him his number 15 back, so piss off"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Isn't it the same as someone that wants to play his last game in front of his home crowd to say thanks for the support of his club and his people ??

If you haven't at least played for a premier side for a season and if you haven't experianced the bond that exists when you are part of that family then you won't understand.

it doesnt show respect for the team though. which to me is the most important thing.
    fans appreciate the effort either way. did we boo george for playing his last game in the RWC? and not playing here again this season?

vCash
    WTF!!!!

It's a bloody proud day if you make 100 first grade rugby games let alone what he has achieved over the years.

Look at his record over the years. If one of my team mates was up for his 100th game and it was away and he said to me "Look do you mind if I play my 100th at home next week"? I'd be more than happy for him to do it. He has earned the right to ask for such requests and so has Percy.

When you go to war with your team mates each week a certain respect is built. He was the highest points scorer for the Boks at the last world cup and they should be thanking him for his role in securing the cup.

Not one player on that team would be saying anything negative about Percy's 100th.

Last edited by welshrugbyfan; 12-08-08 at 21:14. Reason: Earnt is spelt earned

vCash
    apart from the player who effecivley minded the jersey.
    "your not the first choice, but perc doesnt want to play, so wear this until he does"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post

Wasn't George Gregans 100th test here in Perth? so was he showing disrespect for the people who have supported him from Canberra?

sorry i don't play premier grade Rugby, so I obviously don't understand depsite playing Cricket for 18 years (the last 9 at the one club, obviously i can't choose where i'm living/playing when my old man's job moves us all over the country) and Rugby untill i had a near fatal stroke at 16 so apparently i will never understand right?

Obviously it is too hard to get everyone at one Rugby club to head to another ground should someone bring up their 100th Test away from home

vCash
    congratulations to prince percy on getting to 100 tests.

who gives a crap where he plays his 100th? if the SARU want to give something back to percy after hes given so much to them then fine with me. its not like this is the 1st time its happened.

vCash
    why are you guys so upset about this
    Are you guys even aware of the fact that Percy was on the bench vs Argentina and that it was Peter de Villiers's desision not to play him but to bench him to give Conrad Jantjes more game time.

vCash
    Also he was replacement 5/8 not fullback for that match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post

who gives a crap where he plays his 100th?
    Percy Montgomery obviously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Percy Montgomery obviously
    hes earnt it i think

vCash
    de villiers knew where he wanted to have his 100th, and if you note. he didnt come off the bench
    and where he was replacement for has nothing to do with this, as a cap is a cap.

and i am upset because rugby is a team game, how dare a player insult his team mates like that.
    or dishonour his country by choosing not to play in a game where he, at any other time would have been selected.
    its an honour to play for your country. not something you do on your shedule. ask spanner, or sheps. they would have wallabies jerseys now if they could.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    hes earnt it i think
    no one earns the right to pick when they do and don't play. If he were injured I wouldn't care, but it cheapens jerseys when it happens in any country and any sport

vCash

Veteran Montgomery to earn 100th cap against All Blacks

Veteran fullback Percy Montgomery will earn his 100th Test cap on Saturday when the Springboks face the All Blacks in a crucial Vodacom Tri-Nations Test match at Newlands.

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers today named Montgomery as no.15 against New Zealand and the popular fullback will run out in front of his home fans to become the first South African player to earn a magical one hundred Test caps for his country.

Montgomery was recalled to the side in place of Conrad Jantjes, who now takes his place on the reserve bench, while Bryan Habana also returns to the side to wear the no.11 jersey in place of Jongi Nokwe who made his debut last week against Argentina in Johannesburg.

Read the rest here

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast