Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand launches Pre-Emptive Strike in Rugby with new Tournament Format

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow New Zealand launches Pre-Emptive Strike in Rugby with new Tournament Format

Unions keen on trans-Tasman rugby
    By TOBY ROBSON - The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 05 August 2008

Super rugby could be bound for the scrap heap with a new 14-team trans-Tasman competition and an international Heineken Cup-style format being mooted by a powerful group of nine New Zealand provincial unions.

The Dominion Post has learned representatives from North Harbour, Wellington, Canterbury, Auckland, Waikato, Otago, Hawke's Bay, Taranaki, and Southland have been meeting behind closed doors for the past six-to-eight weeks.

It is unclear whether the NZRU has been kept abreast of the discussions, but it's understood Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill was briefed at the weekend on the group's plans.
    The eight unions are scheduled to meet again this week or next to "finalise their thoughts".
    The source, who did not want to be named, said the unions have been working on a professional template that would see Super rugby and the Air New Zealand Cup replaced by a European-style structure running from March to October.

"The unions are absolutely unanimous that Super rugby has reached the end of its life. It's served a purpose, but it needs to be completely revamped. Super rugby and the Air New Zealand Cup would be scrapped and it would be the end of the franchises."

The "Heineken Cup" tournament would run at the same time as the trans-Tasman competition, with matches played every four weeks being contested by 24 teams in four pools of six.

It would include the top sides ranked on the preceding season's results and would take in teams from New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, the United States, the Pacific Islands and perhaps Hong Kong.

A playoff between the southern hemisphere's champions and the northern hemisphere's actual Heineken Cup winners could be played at the end of the year.

The source said former All Black and now Japan national coach John Kirwan had played a role in discussions.

The trans-Tasman trophy would include nine New Zealand provinces and five teams from Australia, played on a home-and-away basis.

Each New Zealand team would include 35 players, centrally contracted by the New Zealand Rugby Union with an entry fee, possibly as high as $5 million.

It would be proposed that the competition coincide with South Africa's Currie Cup, the Japanese league and a Pacific Islands tournament. All Blacks would be "released" by their teams to compete in test matches during the June international window.

Club rugby would run from March to August with provinces not involved in the professional competition playing in an amateur Heartland-style tournament.

The source said New Zealand's players had been consulted and were behind the concept.
    Sample draws had been made and there were people now looking into the costs of the competition and potential sponsorship.

The group did not anticipate any protest from Saru, which recently signed a lucrative five-year deal with banking giants Absa for the Currie Cup. South Africa are the major contributors to Sanzar's lucrative five-year broadcasting deal with News Ltd.

That deal ends in 2011, but there is a feeling the money generated from Japan and America would make a the new format an attractive one to would-be suitors.

The group's preference would be to have the new competition set up next year, but a more realistic date would be 2010.

News of the radical shakeup comes as the NZRU prepares to unveil the new format and structure of the ANZC, expected to be either today or tomorrow. Tasman are expected to be culled, but it is unclear what other steps the union will take.

WHAT'S PLANNED: The Group of Nine's template: One professional window from March to October: 14-team trans-Tasman trophy home and away (Nine from New Zealand, five from Australia): Heineken Cup style tournament (to run alongside trans-Tasman trophy): Matches every four weeks with 24 teams in four pools of six made up of teams from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Japan, Pacific Islands and America.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    this is what i have being talking about for a while! IMHO this is exactly what is needed in Australia.

I just never thought that the New Zealand clubs would support such a concept.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Sounds pretty good, and backs up a lot of what JO'N has been saying. Love or hate the guy - there is no denying he is one smart cookie.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    No mention of Argentina. I'd have thought they would be a great fit in the Heineken Cup style tournament. Even without some of their NH pros. A full strength Argentina wold be very hard to beat anywhere and almost impossible in Buenos Aires at this level.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    the idea sound great, costs could be a major factor and the Sydney clubs asking for compensation. Would be great for the game on both sides of the ditch.

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

Champion
    vCash
    Its funny to see that the NZRU is fond on this idea, espically when they pulled out of co-hosting the world cup with Australia back in 2003 cause of money concerns (costing too much) and then they "almost" handed back the world cup what they are hosting due to cost of hosting it by themself.

If this is the case, we (australia) need a 2nd tier started as soon as possible. There is too much of a gap in between S14 and club rugby in Perth and some of states.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Its funny to see that the NZRU is fond on this idea, espically when they pulled out of co-hosting the world cup with Australia back in 2003 cause of money concerns (costing too much)
    They didn't pull out, benny. They couldn't, or more accurately wouldn't, provide clean (of non IRB advertising) stadia and the IRB withdrew the co-hosting rights because of that.

They blamed JO'N for it and held the grudge for a long time. Recent developments suggest there are enough pragmatists in the NZRU to, at least publicly, move on from that for the good of the game in the SH.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    where would we play these games in Perth at this time of year.Members equity will be used by the Glory who do not want the ground messed up by rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSEEN View Post
    the idea sound great, costs could be a major factor and the Sydney clubs asking for compensation. Would be great for the game on both sides of the ditch.
    cost factor would for a transtasman comp would be less considering they dont have the exspensive flights to RSA, the only thing that makes it more exspensive is that the season goes longer, that would be measured into the broadcast agreement though.

If this is the case, we (australia) need a 2nd tier started as soon as possible. There is too much of a gap in between S14 and club rugby in Perth and some of states.
    i dont see how a 2nd tier is needed with this comp anymore then the S14, actually i think having a longer season actualy lessens the need for a 2nd tier.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    where would we play these games in Perth at this time of year.Members equity will be used by the Glory who do not want the ground messed up by rugby
    yeah they outted Perth Reds from the stadium as they wanted it to be picture perfect for game one of the new A-League for Glory. Glory players would have more luck scoring a cold than scoring a goal (last 5 games, 1 goal, from penalty), i dont think it would cause a headache if the track is carved up a bit, have a look at subi after the force play, the track is still playable for any sport, dont know why they are moaning so much, more income for the ground. less than 10,000 fans are going now to M.E. I would of thought they would be paying Rugby League, and Rugby Union to use there ground at any time for more income and to develop the stadium to be on the Australian Stage (was going to say International, but not likely at the moment)

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i dont see how a 2nd tier is needed with this comp anymore then the S14, actually i think having a longer season actualy lessens the need for a 2nd tier.
    This would be ideal for both fans and players a like, but if it doesn't happen then the fringe players will be playing in local grades around australia and when it comes to step up to S14 or international, they will crumble under the pressure (due to the different coaching styles, speed of the game and rules)

But i'm hoping as well as many others that the season gets expanded longer than the existing 13 rounds.

vCash
    This would be ideal for both fans and players a like, but if it doesn't happen then the fringe players will be playing in local grades around australia and when it comes to step up to S14 or international, they will crumble under the pressure (due to the different coaching styles, speed of the game and rules)

But i'm hoping as well as many others that the season gets expanded longer than the existing 13 rounds.
    i understand the difference between club and professional rugby, but what im saying is i dont see how a 2nd tier is any more important for this trans-tasman comp then it would be for the S14.

Having a longer season would actually lessen the need for a 2nd tier as well, the games would be as tough as they are in the S14 once you factor in player fatigue and injuries.

vCash
    apparently this plan has been or will be shot down on OUR side of the tasman, i just read an article on the Daily Telegraphs website (if someone out there on a computer can put it up please )
    Posted via Mobile Device

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyWA
    RugbyWA has today confirmed its full support for the ARU in its commitment to expand the Super 14 competition.

RugbyWA CEO Greg Harris said that the expansion of the Super rugby competition is the best way forward for rugby.

“We strongly support the ARU’s position on the enhancement of the Super 14 competition being the best direction for the future of the game,” said Harris.

“Reports emanating from New Zealand today suggested there is a proposal for a replacement Trans Tasman competition however RugbyWA had no knowledge of this proposal and supports the stance of ARU CEO John O’Neill on this matter.”
    In teh great words of Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    apparently this plan has been or will be shot down on OUR side of the tasman, i just read an article on the Daily Telegraphs website (if someone out there on a computer can put it up please )
    Posted via Mobile Device
    the NZRU and ARU deny having any knowledge of it, and wouldnt support a comp with RSA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast