Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carter could play for Waratahs

vCash

Carter could play for Waratahs

DAN Carter in a New South Wales jersey could be a reality within two years following a historic decision by the Australian Rugby Union to throw open the doors to foreign stars in the Super 14.

In a move designed to combat cashed-up rugby competitions in France and Britain, the ARU has agreed in principle to allow non-Australian marquee players to play for NSW, Queensland, the Brumbies and the Western Force as soon as 2010.

The move will signal the end of the strict ARU eligibility policy, held for the majority of the professional era, that states only footballers eligible to play for Australia can represent Australian provinces.

The details of the marquee system are yet to be finalised but it is understood the proposal awaiting official board ratification next month would allow two foreign players per team, who would not fall under the ARU's Super 14 salary cap.

One could be a fully fledged marquee star - such as Carter, Brian O'Driscoll or Jonny Wilkinson - who plays for another Test nation and is keen to play in Australia.

This player would be limited to a two-year contract and could be paid on a par with the ARU's top stars like Lote Tuqiri, if the province can generate the finances for his salary.

Asked if he would be interested in playing in an Australian Super rugby province, Crusaders and All Blacks star Carter said he would consider the idea.

"It is not something I have thought much about but I guess so," Carter said while in Sydney last week.

"Obviously you are born and bred in certain areas and have real connections between your home teams. It is always tough to leave that.

"But in the professional game these things can happen. It is something you'd have to look at, the positives and negatives, if that was the case."

Australia remains one of the few countries in the world that strictly demands its players to stay at home to play Test rugby. South Africa and New Zealand (in the case of Carter) have in recent years opened the doors for foreign-based players to return for Tests.

Provinces signing a star like Carter however, must prove to the ARU they are developing youngsters at five-eighth or in the same positions so as not to weaken the future of Australian rugby and the Wallabies.

The proposed second foreign player allowed would even be a player still able to be converted into a Wallaby - a player who has not yet represented his country at a senior level, such as in a Test, A or sevens side.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    not a bad idea, he'd be a good utility bench player who could cover Kurtley and Tim-Tam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    The proposed second foreign player allowed would even be a player still able to be converted into a Wallaby - a player who has not yet represented his country at a senior level, such as in a Test, A or sevens side.
    Isn't this already the case? How else to players like Quade, Leroy and Tahu qualify for Super 14?

Edit: I get it, it's for players who don't hold Australian residency yet, but we'll sponsor them and after a few years they'll qualify for an Aussie passport and Wallaby service.... shall be known as the Georgian prop clause.

vCash
    i think he should play for the force instead..matt giteaus understudy

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    At least it means the Tahs won't have to actually identify thier talent anymore, they can just watch the games and go 'I want that one!'.

vCash
    sounds like the Force management watching the Reds..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    At least it means the Tahs won't have to actually identify thier talent anymore, they can just watch the games and go 'I want that one!'.
    Not true BLT, We all know the tahs pick their players up watching the NRL
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    yep, that's where we got Ryan Cross from... oh

vCash
    just Tuqiri, Rogers, Tahu, Sailor (well technically you nicked him off Qld)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Careful Moses. Your house has way more glass when this subject is around.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I'm still uneasy about this. I don't really see how this can....

combat cashed-up rugby competitions in France and Britain
    Our props are just starting to look a bit better anyway. That's really the only area we're light on talent. Got heaps of backrowers and there's still plenty of Mungos left to convert for the back line.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    i think its a great idea, i bet there would be quite a few foreigners from Europe who would be keen on playing in the S14, they just dont want to play in NZ or RSA.

If the clubs got a big name player like Wilkinson it would bring a hell of a lot more exposure to the team. Not only that it would bring different playing styles and different theories on how to play and train for the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    If the clubs got a big name player like Wilkinson it would bring a hell of a lot more exposure to the team. Not only that it would bring different playing styles and different theories on how to play and train for the game.
    Good points and I'm not 100% anti as I was previously. If we are gonna allow a couple of marquee players maybe there should also be a development spot available for players from 2nd or 3rd tier nations? I'm not sure about this either if it means they will just be hoarded for the Wallabies, AB's etc.

It's on anyway so we'll just see how it pans out I suppose.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    (joke) firepower may be able to pay for all the marquee players..

(serious) why dont they do like the A-League does it, S14 teams can have one marque player outside of the salary cap, whether that be a player such as Gits, Mccaw, Wilko and co. that would not only improve the youngesters coming thru but not riuing our game also.

Hope we dont go down the path of English Soccer and a s14 team can have 15 international players playing for the force or tahs, and not developing local talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Hope we dont go down the path of English Soccer and a s14 team can have 15 international players playing for the force or tahs, and not developing local talent.
    Thats why the English soccer side is crap and I don't think even the ARU is stupid enough to let that happen. For 2 or 3 spots i would encourage this, so long as local talent is being developed. But like benny said, you just have to think what a player like Carter, Michalak or a few meatheaded saffer/english props for example could teach the local lads
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast