Poll: Which playing positions define your rugby career?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playing Positions

vCash
    Played on the wing at Uni in Bloemfontein, but I'm not all that good though Thinking of joining a Perth side with Cully (remember the Gridiron player?), but I'll have to get a lot fitter first... Maybe next year?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There's been quite a few new members sign on since the last update to this Poll, any updates from the newbies?
    Remember, you don't have to post (although we would all enjoy it if you did!) just cast your "votes" to let us know.
    Same goes for all the Polls on TWF, don't feel compelled to write something if you don't want to, your contribution through just being part of the Poll is greatly appreciated by all

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ive just startedplaying rugby at high school and because of my build was told by the coach i would definately be with the backs. playing afl as a junior meant that my kicking was a strong point and the fact that i played touch rugby made fuulback ideal because i could either run through a gap if i had the chance or kick for touch if i got in trouble

vCash
    When I was 11, i rocked up to rugby training for the first time, the coach said to me, "you're a prop" and i have been there ever since.

vCash
    I suppose there are worse things he could have called you?

I was quite runty growing up so I was back 3 most of the time, cacooned in cotton wool and bubble-wrap.

vCash
    Loose head, tight head, and hooker, Ahhhh, life in the frontrow....Not for the faint hearted. I`ve copped plenty of headbutts, knees, uppercuts, the occasional nipple cripple, face rubs, eye gouges(not nasty ones though thank god), wet willies in the ear, all in brawls, 6.5 foot moari`s with bloodlust, hookers with sharp sprigs in my shins.....etc. BUT, i have loved every minute of it
    I actually played league for 15yrs before playing union at age twenty, so i learnt to tackle pretty well, so was always good in defense, and have always been a front rower, although there was this time in under fives when i played fullback and made the local paper (insert dream sequence here), and there was this other time, when it was the last game of the year for Blakehurst and i had played all third grade, and then all second grade, and benched for firsts, where one of the flankers went down, and lo and behold, there i was playing on the flank, and getting to smash the halfback and number eight, with glee in my eye...Oh the memories
    Sorry, but i could go on for hours with stories, but i have to actually do some work....

vCash
    My first season of rugby last year i started off on the wing, moved to fullback a few games in, this season im switching in between the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    My first season of rugby last year i started off on the wing, moved to fullback a few games in, this season im switching in between the two.

Well don't let that get you down mate. All's not lost. When you fill out a bit over the next few years the coach might let you play some real rugby - in the forwards.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Played Fullback most of the time. I like the real pressure of the game. (Guess who cops it when the fat turds up front stuff up.)

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Dam Kids. To finish. Started at 14 years, the coach tryed to put me in the forwards. 6 foot tall 80 kg. When he found I could run sub 12 sec in boots he decided he could work on my kicking.

vCash
    Your humble scribe played wing most of his patchy rugby career, usually right wing which I found best as a right footed kicker (who wants to kick for touch -- that only lets those fat, stupid forwards hog the ball again). My selection in this position was based on a half decent turn of pace combined with virtually no other skills whatsoever. Thank God for third grade eh?

There was that awful year in Sydney in the eighties that still returns to haunt my nightmares when our second grade was so short of tall timber that the tallest expendable back (ie me) and the tallest expendable prop were combined into a sad parody of a second row and I discovered the true meaning of pain, torment and suffering.

Why does anyone ever become a tight forward by choice? Endless minutes of jogging up and down the pitch, punctuated by short periods of extreme violence and eye-popping exertion -- scrums and lineouts, I believe some people call them -- not to mention kamikaze-like lemming behaviour in thrashing piles of bodies, or rucks and mauls as I believe they are sometimes referred to.

When I shuffle off this mortal coil and St Peter hands me my final rugby jumper, I will know instantly to which plane I have been consigned: 9 - 15, heaven; 1 - 8, hell.

vCash
    I love playing in the front row, out scrumming an opposition prop is one of the best feelings a plus size man could have, and Rick, jogging up and down the pitch for endless minutes is even harder when you're 115kg.
    1-8 is not hell, 4 and 5 is hell, 6-8 are try hard backs, but 1-3 is where rugby is made.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Specially for you RF!

From a current Spiro Zavos Rugby Heaven article: "The French call the front row "the orchestra pit", for deep in the mess of bodies in the pile-ups the rugby music is made."

Jim Tucker, Courier Mail: "Former Wallaby prop Andrew Blades told how collisions with the formidable (Os) du Randt often left his face with red blotches, the legacy of tiny blood vessels which had burst because of the amount of pressure in the scrum."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    never played - complete arm chair critic.. i love the learning curve!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

Cool

Played every number from 4 to 8...

but the moniker is a giveaway to where I hungout for most of my playing days...

Even blown a few whistles from time to time, tho not since I moved to WA from Sydney.

Also did some time at centre-out and front and rear float- but thats a different sport...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast