Thread: PUTTING RUGBY FIRST

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow PUTTING RUGBY FIRST

This week, over a thousand rugby administrators around the world will receive a report authored called, “Putting Rugby First” .

The report is being sent to players, administrators, government ministers, high-profile supporters, journalists and commercial partners.

It is being made available on the web at to encourage as many people as possible to read it.

http://www.puttingrugbyfirst.com

The report coming out of the UK by Spectrum Value Partners, a management consultancy, and Addleshaw Goddard, a law firm, is intended to start a debate among rugby’s stakeholders about how to become truly global and secure the future of this great game.

So what do you think and who should take charge of this implementation and fulfilment?

Some FAQ's

Q: Who has written this report?
    A: The Putting Rugby First report has been written by Spectrum Value Partners, a management consultancy, and Addleshaw Goddard, a law firm.
    Spectrum Value Partners
    Spectrum is the technology, media and telecoms (TMT) practice of global consultancy Value Partners. Founded in 1994, Spectrum Value Partners is one of the largest TMT strategy consultancy practices worldwide, with expertise covering corporate and commercial strategy, organisational change, cost transformation, public policy, regulation, and M&A support. Specifically, Spectrum Value Partners has substantial experience within the sports industry including commercial strategy, policy and regulation, governance, organisation and rights management.
    Addleshaw Goddard
    Addleshaw Goddard LLP is a full service UK law firm. It advises clients (including public sector bodies, major commercial companies, institutions, sports governing bodies and private individuals) on a wide range of legal needs including banking and finance, commercial litigation, competition, construction, corporate finance, corporate restructuring and insolvency, defamation, employment, IP, IT, pensions, PFI and projects, private client, private equity, real estate, sport and tax. Its sports business group is acknowledged by independent legal rankings as amongst the leading practices in the UK, working on a wide range of matters for rights holders, sponsors and other sports stakeholders.

Q: Who has commissioned the report?
    A:The Putting Rugby First has been commissioned by a group of concerned rugby supporters who wish to ensure that the great game of rugby reaches its full, global potential. No individuals within the group seek any personal gain whatsoever in terms of finance, status or position.

Q: Who has the Putting Rugby First report been sent to?
    A: The report is being sent to over a thousand rugby stakeholders around the world, including players, administrators, government ministers, high-profile supporters, journalists and commercial partners. It is being made available on the web here at Putting Rugby First to encourage as many people as possible to read it. Please feel free to share the report widely.

Q: What can I do about the issues in the Putting Rugby First report?
    A: The report is intended to start a debate among rugby’s stakeholders about how to become truly global and secure the future of this great game.

If you are an administrator – make sure that these issues are on the agenda of your local, national or international representative body.

If you are a player or referee – discuss this with your colleagues and make sure your views are heard within your leagues and federations.

If you are a commercial partner – make sure that the rugby bodies you work with know that you believe in a global vision of rugby’s future and how your mutual interests can be best aligned.

If you are in the media – open some of these issues up for debate on your pages or airwaves.

If you are a supporter – make your voice heard within your rugby club, your personal networks in the game and through the media. Please share this report with others.
    It can be downloaded here >

Please take up the debate on web message boards and forums so that the views of all rugby supporters worldwide are heard.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TonyM; 28-07-08 at 05:24. Reason: more elaboration of the breaking news.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    This looks to be an interesting read - 80 pages is a bit hefty, but the font size is large

Thanks, TonyM

vCash
    i am sure jargs has 'reviewed this document' at work at least twice.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger84 View Post
    i am sure jargs has 'reviewed this document' at work at least twice.
    I have done no such thing

I didn't see this thread till now
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AVAILABLE

There is an Executive Summary which is a quick read and explains this research.

It basically questions the IRB's inability to manage the game globally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    It basically questions the IRB's inability to manage the game globally.
    Given the extent of the attack on the IRB (hiring UK lawyers and consultants doesn't sound cheap), does anyone know who the group of 'concerned supporters' with deep pockets are?

I agree with their objectives (and efforts), but the absence of any information about who is funding this was very conspicuous.

If this is just about petty empire building and axe grinding, then I can see why the backers might wish to remain anonymous in the public's eye. But if it's about genuine change, why not name names, and throw support behind it publicly? Very interesting!

vCash
    The chairman of Sale Sharks is one person involved. Given who posted this thread, I'm pretty sure I could name a second person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    The chairman of Sale Sharks is one person involved. Given who posted this thread, I'm pretty sure I could name a second person.
    I think you need three people for a conspiracy, right?

vCash
    well in retrospect it is a bit crazy the way that the system is currently set up with the top countries having a much larger representation on the IRB board then smaller countries.

The bigger countries are always going to protect there own interests which may come at the cost of the small ones.

All in all i dont think that the IRB is doing a bad job at managing the game, giving the 2011 RWC to NZ was a bit of a farce in terms of expanding the game, it really should have being sent to Japan or another developing country.

Apprentice
    vCash

DREAMER...................

Beige - You are way off the mark - nice try though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    well in retrospect it is a bit crazy the way that the system is currently set up with the top countries having a much larger representation on the IRB board then smaller countries.
    Substitute "countries" with "states or provinces" and swap IRB for ARU, NZRU, SARU, NRL or AFL and you have the same old same old. Which is probably repeated all over the world.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Beige - You are way off the mark - nice try though.
    In that case I apologise. I just worry that you have your "CEO" hat on sometimes.

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow The Authors are from the UK

Interesting reading of the full 80 page tome. And highly informative for your analytical pieces.

More often than not we are "fed" releases from Dublin and the headquarters of other unions and because of the fast paced world of rugby, a lot of it is this indoctrination of the rugby fundamentalists and especially the media.

This is not CEO-Speak but rather a rugby voice who fears that insular thinking by adminsitrators will lead to the game becoming incestuous and you know that the offspring of such unions become genetically impaired and of the mutant variety.

We are not there yet - but you never know what has being going on behind closed doors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Substitute "countries" with "states or provinces" and swap IRB for ARU, NZRU, SARU, NRL or AFL and you have the same old same old. Which is probably repeated all over the world.
    yes thats true, they almost need a independant body with no historical links to rugby union