Thread: G&GRs First Bledisloe Test Preview

vCash

G&GRs First Bledisloe Test Preview

I haven't got much time this morning, so here are the main factors as I see them for the first Australia vs New Zealand Trinations and Bledisloe Cup test this Saturday in Sydney.

1. The ABs are missing McCaw, their No1 cheat and only semblance of a leader (he isn't much chop at that usually anyway). You can see how desperate they were to get him back with the mlarky this week
    2. We're missing our captain and AB backline nemesis, the Evil Wizard Mortlock
    3. We managed to beat them last year at home with much less depth, antiquated coaching and them having all their Eurocrats in the side
    4. They will be mad as a cut snake about losing at home a couple of weeks ago to the Jaapies. Who can imagine an ABs side losing 2 in a row?
    5. If anyone knows how to beat this bunch (a.k.a Dan Carters support team) surely it's Aussie Robbie
    6. Dan Carter kicks goals in his sleep. Dumb penalties from Sharpe and Palu will cost us loads
    7. Apparently all of New Zealand (Bondi) is now rooting for Dingo Deans' Wallabies. ANZ will be rocking for the Green and Gold
    8. It's not in the Antipodeans script to lose this game, and the magic would well and truly disappear if we got a hiding
    9. Our scum didn't disappear up its own ring-piece last week, but does that mean anything?
    10. The AB line-out is nothing short of a shambles. I'd be happier if Vicks was starting, but Sharpe even managed to get to Matfield last week

So balancing all that up, I reckon it's gonna be tight as a gnat's chuff, but the Wallabies are gonna do it, just.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by greenandgoldrugby; 26-07-08 at 03:12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    [*]Our scum didn't disappear up its own ring-piece last week, but does that mean anything?
    What do the Tahs have to do with anything?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    1. The ABs are missing McCaw, their No1 cheat and only semblance of a leader (he isn't much chop at that usually anyway). You can see how desperate they were to get him back with the mlarky this week
    2. We're missing our captain and AB backline nemesis, the Evil Wizard Mortlock
    3. We managed to beat them last year at home with much less depth, antiquated coaching and them having all their Eurocrats in the side
    4. Our scum didn't disappear up its own ring-piece last week, but does that mean anything?

So balancing all that up, I reckon it's gonna be tight as a gnat's chuff, but the Wallabies are gonna do it, just.

Thoughts?
    1. They do lack quality leadership don't they? I'm surprised the NZRU hasn't invested in a time machine to bring back a younger Tana Umaga to cover the two great holes in their team.
    2. We'll cope without Mortlock: Waugh, Sharpie and George Smith make good leaders. The only downside is now Tuqiri and Giteau are the only really experienced backs.
    3. You look at the two sides since the eurocrats have gone and their scrum is weaker without Hayman, their line-out weaker without Jack, their midfield weaker without Mauger. I fail to see how, at home, we aren't favourites.
    4. I wouldn't expect as steady a scrum performance against New Zealand but it seems better than last year and its coming up against a scrum that isn't better than last year. I recall a round 8 clash between the Waratahs and Blues in which the Blues front row of Woodcock, Mealamu and Afoa were smashed to pieces by the Waratahs front row of I can't remember who but it probably had Dunning, Robinson and Baxter. Since all of those players are in the 22s it should make for an interesting chance for a repeat performance.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    What do the Tahs have to do with anything?
    5/8 of our scum are Waratahs

C'mon the

vCash
    1. The ABs are missing McCaw, their No1 cheat and only semblance of a leader (he isn't much chop at that usually anyway). You can see how desperate they were to get him back with the mlarky this week Agreed, Braid hasn't been picked for 5 years for good reason. Smith should gobble him up. Won't miss his captainsy as much
    2. We're missing our captain and AB backline nemesis, the Evil Wizard MortlockAgree, he gets a fair bit of shit on this site but I think most of that is due to Cross, will be missed but Cross should be effective
    3. We managed to beat them last year at home with much less depth, antiquated coaching and them having all their Eurocrats in the sideI flew over for that one at the G. I'm staying home this time so that's canned that.
    4. They will be mad as a cut snake about losing at home a couple of weeks ago to the Jaapies. Who can imagine an ABs side losing 2 in a row?Henry will be hung, drawn and quartered if it is so. Having Thorn and Williams will be a huge boost
    5. If anyone knows how to beat this bunch (a.k.a Dan Carters support team) surely it's Aussie RobbieThere is only a certain amount he can do, its up to the players once they kick off
    6. Dan Carter kicks goals in his sleep. Dumb penalties from Sharpe and Palu will cost us loadsYep
    7. Apparently all of New Zealand (Bondi) is now rooting for Dingo Deans' Wallabies. ANZ will be rocking for the Green and GoldA fair number of NZ residents are behind Robbie, unheard of
    8. It's not in the Antipodeans script to lose this game, and the magic would well and truly disappear if we got a hidingHiding yes, beaten in a tight game, no
    9. Our scum didn't disappear up its own ring-piece last week, but does that mean anything?Just got a visual of scum up ring piece. Ref will determine scrum tomorrow

So balancing all that up, I reckon it's gonna be tight as a gnat's chuff, but the Wallabies are gonna do it, just.ABs by a less than ten

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

vCash
    Sorry Woody but this week I will have to go with the by at least 5

vCash
    I think the momentum thing will come into play this week. The ABs will be feeling the sting of national expectation and we all know they're weak as pi$$ when they're under pressure (replays video of any World Cup victory podium) the will be confident and strong, on the field, Crossy will match what Stirlo's been serving up so far, the only loss will be of leadership potential. That responsibility (in the backline) will now fall to Gits.....Until last week I really thought that would be an issue, but Gits seems to play on confidence and he'll have that. It'll be tight, but eventually the sheep shaggers will crack. Oz by 12.

C'mon the

vCash
    I'd like to Gits, Crossy and Drew line up at some stage before the 79 minute mark, and with Drew at 11 (not 8).

I think those three will be the key to scoring the tries this week. They work well together, they know how each others' style and most importantly they can put together good try-scoring play.

vCash
    to win in a close one.....

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    All Blacks are ripe for the choking - this match has gotta carry as much pressure as any World Cup quarter final....

vCash
    still, i have a bad feeling when coming up against the all blacks, we are missing our captain in Mortlock and also the best lock in Australia in Vickerman, even though Vickerman is on the bench, i think the match would have being decided before he gets on the field.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don;t have a bad feeling, but I certainly don;t have a good one - hope that translates into a good game of rugby ...

vCash
    Apologies for the freudian spelling!

I was in such a rush that I also forgot to mention their shambles of a line-out. Cost them dearly against the Softboks. While I'd be happier with Aussie Dan there Sharpe and Horwill did a good job on the respected Matfield / Botha combo.