Thread: AFL unveil home ground for its second Sydney team

vCash

AFL unveil home ground for its second Sydney team

AFL unveil home ground for its second Sydney team

THE AFL will today make a bold incursion into rugby league's heartland with the unveiling of the home ground for its second team in western Sydney.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou will be at Rooty Hill today to reveal the first look of a new $30 million stadium for the western Sydney team.

It is only a small project they're working on ($30 million, 10,000 seat capacity) as a joint venture between the AFL and the local council (Blacktown)- It's an interesting approach though, and another addition to the AFL's stadium ownership strategy someone posted on a couple of months ago.

Essendon have Windy Hill, West Sydney welcomes you to Rooty Hill

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Swee_82; 16-07-08 at 11:35.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Sydney's new team will be the proud tenants of a nice new round.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Essendon have Windy Hill, West Sydney welcomes you to Rooty Hill
    Intercourse Heights Arena.

The locals are not impressed.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    A far cry from the AFL trying to buy Homebush a little while ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Intercourse Heights Arena.

Maybe Durex will snap up the naming rights?

vCash
    Rooty Hill. nice. Why does Sydney get two teams, I thought it was a Gold Coast team

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It is. There are plans for 2 new AFL teams in the next 5 or 6 years

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    Rooty Hill. nice. Why does Sydney get two teams, I thought it was a Gold Coast team
    They are setting up a Gold Coast team, with the Sydney team suppossed to start the next year. I feel sorry for Tasmania getting the rough end of all of this- I know they're only small but still reckon it'd be easier to get a decent crowd of Tasmanians to support a team of thier own than relying on the disaffected mungo supporters of Western Sydney.
    I'm assuming they've managed to organise a siren that everyone can hear in the last couple of years.

vCash
    They are setting up a Gold Coast team, with the Sydney team suppossed to start the next year. I feel sorry for Tasmania getting the rough end of all of this- I know they're only small but still reckon it'd be easier to get a decent crowd of Tasmanians to support a team of thier own than relying on the disaffected mungo supporters of Western Sydney.
    I'm assuming they've managed to organise a siren that everyone can hear in the last couple of years.
    The AFL are only interested in money and killing off the other codes in a somewhat imperialistic manner, Tasmania is already a win for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    The AFL are only interested in money and killing off the other codes in a somewhat imperialistic manner, Tasmania is already a win for them.
    Not arguing with that, just saying Tasmanians could be quite justifiably miffed.

vCash
    Not arguing with that, just saying Tasmanians could be quite justifiably miffed.
    In between incest sessions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

i wouldn't have thought the locals would care

A far cry from the AFL trying to buy Homebush a little while ago.
    the debt owned by the ANZ in the stadium would have still ben owned by ANZ so one of the AFL's investors, namely NAB didn't see it as a good idea. (according to something i read anyway)

The Tasmanians aren't happy with it, but the AFL is keen to conquer the biggest market in Australia apparently, regardless of how much they have to spend to do it. The Swans have only recently (last 10ish years) been able to carve out their own corner in the Market so i dare say they may be concered about this as well. The theres AFL in the mindset that they can still get a club to move to Tasmania, probably St Kilda or Hawthorn. Their canning the "Competitve Allowance" handout that allows some Melbourne teams to keep their head's just above water so the AFL is playing hardball with it's established clubs let alont any possible new locations.

They are a touch, but playing hardball with their own "Heartland" won't win them friends. Apparently to idea of a "Celtic" club that was indicated in Saturdays paper had Eddie McGuire up in arms, but that possibly was becasue Collingwood are using Ireland as their own little scouting area at the moment