Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bravo brilliant Boks

vCash

Bravo brilliant Boks

When Ricky Januarie burst through the All Black defenders to score what proved to be the winning try, pressure visibly lifted from coach Peter de Villiers. This could be his career defining moment – not because of the rugby his men played, but rather that they were able to dust themselves off from a disappointing showing a week ago.

The importance of this 30-28 victory – the first in a decade on New Zealand soil – cannot be underestimated. Not only does it throw the Springboks into pole position in a Tri-Nations where winning the away games usually proves decisive, it will also galvanise the spirits of a new management team and their talented group of players.

The Boks were infinitely........... read the full article here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    woooooo go boks!!!!
    januarie was sooooooo good!!!!
    sooo proud and bring on the wallabies!!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Wow - that was unexpected, I'll have to watch this one!

vCash
    apart from goddards penalty fest, the boks defence was particularly impressive. the other standout was carter having a quiet game with ball in hand.

boks will be hard to beat .....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    apart from goddards penalty fest, the boks defence was particularly impressive. the other standout was carter having a quiet game with ball in hand.

boks will be hard to beat .....
    To Goddard's credit every one of them was justified. Yes it killed the game for a while but it isn't his fault neither team was disciplined.

I don't think the Boks will be any harder than usual to beat. Neither team seemed that great out there and Januarie's try was just a gem in an otherwise average performance. If our scrum doesn't completely crumple we'll be fine.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It is the first time ever that the Boks won in Dunedin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    To Goddard's credit every one of them was justified. Yes it killed the game for a while but it isn't his fault neither team was disciplined.

I don't think the Boks will be any harder than usual to beat. Neither team seemed that great out there and Januarie's try was just a gem in an otherwise average performance. If our scrum doesn't completely crumple we'll be fine.
    i repeat ..... boks will be hard to beat

my beef with goddard is he over refs to the point of insanity and plays piss poor advantage. he has no feel for the game. the game only really opened up when the whistle stopped blowing after every minute indescretion. the kiwi commentators said it all . i don't know if it was because of last weeks kerfuffle or what but the first 20mins was frustrating to watch as goddard felt the need to warn every player for every penalty and matfields yellow was ludicrous. i mean it was barely a tackle let alone vicious enough for a yellow .... rugbys going soft

Last edited by NTT; 12-07-08 at 22:50. Reason: removed inflammatory remarks

vCash
    i'm fairly certain that the visting side has only beaten the All Blacks at Dunedin 3 times in 100 odd years before tonight pieter

so tonight makes 4
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    i repeat ..... boks will be hard to beat

my beef with goddard is he over refs to the point of insanity and plays piss poor advantage. he has no feel for the game. the game only really opened up when the whistle stopped blowing after every minute indescretion. the kiwi commentators said it all . i don't know if it was because of last weeks kerfuffle or what but the first 20mins was frustrating to watch as goddard felt the need to warn every player for every penalty and matfields yellow was ludicrous. i mean it was barely a tackle let alone vicious enough for a yellow .... rugbys going soft
    How was the yellow ludicrous? Both teams had been warned heaps of times about high tackles and Matfield still put in a high hit. Whether or not it did much damage isn't the point its dangerous to tackle around the neck and he wasn't listening to the ref about it. I'm glad Matfield was pinged- he's the best line-out jumper in the world but it wastes all that by being perpetually poor with his discipline and leadership. I mean what the hell was he doing when he ran in front of Luke Watson and knocked-on that ball in the second half?

I'm not saying I like Goddard as a ref but most of his calls were necessary even if he did crap on a lot and tried to explain each one. His voice did get annoying though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Pieter, well done to your boys.
    Although I found Goddard (he's a funny little prick, like the teacher's pet at school)frustrating at times I think his calls were fairly consistant. It's up to the guys on the paddock to adjust to the whistlers idiosincrasies (?). Victor's 10 minutes could've been the deciding factor (wasn't)which would have been an injustice.
    Januaries try was "remembered by" moment.
    Personally (and I was surrounded by fellow kiwis) I thought it was a fast exciting absorbing test match, easily the best of the season to date. Puts SA in drivers seat. Bring on next weekend then we'll see where Aussie Bob is at.

vCash
    james,
    the yellow was ludicrous because some of the tackles being executed were some of the softest i've ever seen. i mean if you tackle someone with one arm over their shoulder and one arm around their torso then it's difficult to generate any real power to drive someone into the ground with force. i mean these guys are pro rugby players for god sake, an accidental tap to the chin ain't going to hurt them ( but those refereeing calls are fine in junior rugby ) and over policing it to the point of players being afraid to tackle is ludicrous. watch the replay, the first thing lauaki does is appeal to goddard for penalty not seek medical attention when matfield tries to wrap up lauaki torso to prevent an offload and / or steal the ball. it's lucky the yellow didn't affect the outcome as then the springboks would continue on with their outcries from the 1st test.

vCash
    cont,
    if anyone should be frowned upon for wasting their talent it should be bakkies botha. some of his ' enforcer ' tactics are severely cynical and unsportsmanlike and should warrant extra scrutiny. i mean cheap shots behind play and rubbing opposition players faces into the ground at rucks is more against the spirit of the game then one or three high tackles that lack any real intent or maliciousness and which are played up by the players to get a penalty from pedantic referees. i'd like to see phil kearns suggestion of getting the players to show the referees how much impact some of these allegedly dangerous tackles really have ....it is test rugby after all

but that's my opinion and i accept yours james

vCash
    i think we will have a good game against the boks. their defence last night was really strong, but it was a bit of a penalty-fest from both sides. they will give the wallabies a run for their money, for sure.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    i think we will have a good game against the boks. their defence last night was really strong, but it was a bit of a penalty-fest from both sides. they will give the wallabies a run for their money, for sure.
    You'd say that statement if the Wallabies were favourites, we'd be lucky if we gave THEM a run for their money....we'll have to move from 2nd gear to 5th if we want to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    You'd say that statement if the Wallabies were favourites, we'd be lucky if we gave THEM a run for their money....we'll have to move from 2nd gear to 5th if we want to do that.
    it called supporter-bias i was trying to word the fact that we will have a close game and be ver lucky to win with a positive spin to it

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast