Thread: Force Opinion from Greg Clark

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force Opinion from Greg Clark

Force be with us

Opinion from Greg Clark, Host Fox Sports Rugby:

When it was announced that Australia would field a fourth team in the Super 14 competition, some critics were quick to question whether we had enough depth to put another competitive team on the paddock. Those same critics will now be saying, "I told you so".

I'm happy that we have a fourth team despite the lack of success from Perth. Players like Gareth Hardy and David Fitter are getting a start and our front-row stocks are growing. Loose forwards Luke Doherty, Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown are also getting a chance at the elite level.

Matt Henjak is no longer warming the bench for the Brumbies and if we didn't have a fourth team all those young backs wouldn't be gaining valuable experience.

It's an interesting argument. Force has too many youngsters, but without a fourth team, it wouldn't get the chance to develop the skills of those players.

I hope the Perth fans give John Mitchell and the team the time it takes to build a competitive side. On paper it looked like a reasonable team, but nobody counted on so many injuries in the early weeks.

Having said that though, they have let themselves down badly in the basic skills department. Control the ball and things will improve dramatically.

FOX SPORTS

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't say it clearer than that!

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the last sentence is the key "Control the ball and things will improve dramatically".
    We do not have a squad of crap players, there have been some very promising signs over the first six matches, they just haven't retained the ball enough to ensure they maintain momentum.
    For mine the two biggest issues have been a) not using our forwards (our apparent strength) for enough phases before feeding the backline and b) not running on to the pass in the backs. The flow of the ball through the hands of the backs has continued to be stilted. I'm not talking about crap passes behind or overhead, what I mean is the passes are going to the player rather than a metre in front to run on to it. Now I was a forward but I remember that as a basic from schooldays, run onto the ball, top speed! Because you can bet your jaw that the tackler is coming the other way at top speed!
    I really believe that with not that much improvement at training that we will be back in contention soon enough.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Now I was a forward but I remember that as a basic from schooldays, run onto the ball, top speed! .

In my school days we didn't have balls that stayed in the air long enough for a forward to get to top speed.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Didn't say I did it, just that I remember it as an ideal

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I always get the impression that our backline is either rushing their moves or they are being rushed. Plus they are very set in their game plan, against they ACT brumbies Our #10 always passed the ball on, last week he always kicked it. there was just no variety, no options he has decided what he is doing before he gets the ball no matter what.

Maybe taking options will come with experience

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Prospect
    vCash
    Hi,

I think that the team is performing better than most people had expected, particularly in the front row.

Cheers

Jer

vCash
    Greg Smith's assesment is on the money. Our forward pack, lineout and scrumming seem pretty solid but our inability to hold onto the ball and the lack of continuity in our backline play means that we spend most of the time defending inside our own 22.

Injuries haven't helped and I get the impression the squad is still gelling (sp?). Would love to have Matt Giteau in the squad next year!

Zimbabwe will never be a colony again!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    G'day Jeremy Beynon and Uncle Bob, welcome to TWF!
    Look forward to your contributions.
    I agree with you both and I think if we stick it out the team will improve really rapidly once the bugs have been ironed out.
    Word is that the replacement outside back should be named by Friday, some more experience out wide will be a major step in strengthening our defence and sharpening our attack.
    Regardless of injury, most of us knew before the first match that the outside backs were our weakness in terms of depth.
    The play of Staniforth, Hilgendorf and especially Ioane has been a bonus because, on paper at least, the results could have been far worse considering the opposition outside backs we have played against!