Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Slow sales allow shoppers see Wallabies for free

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Slow sales allow shoppers see Wallabies for free

Sluggish ticket sales for the Wallabies’ Test against France on Saturday have resulted in a Sydney shopping centre giving them away with a purchase from any of its stores.

The Rhodes shopping centre in Sydney’s west is giving customers who spend $80 a double pass to the match as part of a promotion with ANZ Stadium.
    The “silver passes” normally retail for $69 each.

Conditions allow customers to collect a maximum of four tickets each day.

rest of article here....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ha ha Sydney. not so good now are you

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    ^^^ how could it possibly be funny that our national side is having to give away free tickets??

some people on this forum would rather see the national side suffer at the exspense of having the pleasure to laugh at Sydney. Thats pretty pathetic if you call yourself a wallaby supporter.

vCash
    i think its pathetic that to get people in Sydney to support their national side they have to give tickets away. I remember the ARU taking the piss out of the NRL a few years back when the kiwi embassy/consulate was handing out tickets to kiwi's that showed them their passports.

I think some of the people over there including so called supporters deserve out comtempt. Rugby heartland my arsehole.

Over here we would kill to see the wallabies more than once
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    No TOCC, people here are jsut sick of getting the short end of the stick for not being the 'heartland' of rugby union, when the heartland isn't exactly holding up their end of the deal either.

vCash
    well you realise that is Sydney interest in the sport declines, then the sport in Australia will drop as well..

Im not even from sydney and i recognise that it is the biggest market, it is where the majority of the revenue is generated and rugby union needs sydney to be strong for the game to be strong.

Dont let you personal dislike for Sydney get in the way of progressing the game in Australia.

vCash
    Shit, wish I was in Sydney this weekend on a shopping trip. Anyhow, Sydney's west sounds suspicious..first, is this a league strong-hold (hence trying to break into the market there? Not farmiliar enough with Sydney so enlighten me please). Second, the socio-economic group targetted..can they normally afford to go to the game/s? Again, Chook, somebody, enlighten me.

I guess it might be a case of, "can't let boring facts get in the way of a good story"..or perhaps, my head's stuck so far up my arse, its a conspiracy against the good Game everywhere I look.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 26-06-08 at 12:24. Reason: additional comments

vCash
    i'm from Sydney Tocc, as is Swee. Personally i think its one of the best places on earth. Were not looking for cheap points mate
    Posted via Mobile Device

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ^^^ how could it possibly be funny that our national side is having to give away free tickets??

some people on this forum would rather see the national side suffer at the exspense of having the pleasure to laugh at Sydney. Thats pretty pathetic if you call yourself a wallaby supporter.
    No one wants to see empty seats at a wallabies game, we ridicule the sydneysiders in the hope that they will do something about it.

That being said the folk in Perth didn't do too well when Fiji played the wallabies here last year - we only just cracked 20K, that's less than Force games!

vCash
    Going beyond the Sydney vs Perth debate, there's a few reasons the ARU should have seen this coming.

* The Beldisloe is back in town this year- people want to go to it. As discussed before- tickets for the international season are quite pricey- $69 for a silver ticket. If you're a diehard supporter, yeah, you'll buy tickets to both, but if things are tight, clearly you'd go to the All Blacks. If things are tighter still, and you want to take your family to a football game, that kinda cash will get ALL of them into an NRL/AFL match rather than shell out for what many people are calling a second-strong French team (with all due respect).
    *Venue- I'd assume that they're locked into playing internationals at ANZ Stadium, but it's crap. Huge venue, half empty, no atmosphere. In the middle of nowhere- It's a generalisation, but realisitcally most Rugby supporters are concentrated in the northern and eastern suburbs (N.B. Yes it's a generalisation- FWTW this doesn't apply to Jargs or myself, or a number of other ex-and-current Sydney people here, I know), but all of these people have to travel quite a way to get to the game. Very few options for places to go out before/after the game to make a night of it.

None of these in themselves might be reason enough not to go, but add them up and Ch7 (in Sydney at least), a mate with a flash TV and a few cartons start to look like a pretty good option.

Maybe the matches like this, where you can see small turnout coming a mile off should be the ones where prices are dropped, tickets given to schools/rugby clubs etc. Once the decision is made to host the game, surely bums on seats (whether they paid a pittance for the ticket, or not at all) are better than no-one showing up at all. There's still potential to sell them food, drinks (for the stadium) or mechandise (for the ARU) not to mention a bit of goodwill that wouldn't go astray in a hostile sports market.

Coach- yeah the crowd for the Figi game was pretty bad last year- which I'd also put down to exxy tickets (70 bucks to sit up in 308 from memory), absence of a marquee team (the Springboks game shoudl draw more Aussie supporters who want to see a contest, as well as all the Saffa's that will show up) and that they rested alot of Force players in anticipation of the SA tour- from team management perspective I assume it was necessary, but from a marketing perspective wasn't too bright.

Thus endeth the lesson (sorry for prattling on)

Last edited by Swee_82; 26-06-08 at 13:01.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am from Sydney and as I have stated before - due to financial constraints I can afford to go to the Bledisloe or the France Game. not both. I only have one spare $144. does that make me a bad person?

and Since when is the Rhodes Shopping Centre in Sydneys West, its closer to Sydney then Parramatta

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    no offence to Fiji Coach, but they wouldn't draw a crowd in Sydney. Not a team you want to have playing in an area your looking to grow the game in.

If the ARU were truely looking to grow the game they would be backing up the investment of a Super 14 side in Perth with quality international action.

I dont see how revenue is generated from giving the tickets away. Obviously they have done a deal with the ARU but they won't be paying market value.

Wheres the Rugby heartland support to justify the investment??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    and no Exile, it doesn't make you a bad person
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    No one wants to see empty seats at a wallabies game, we ridicule the sydneysiders in the hope that they will do something about it.
    ha, reminds me of highschool.. "we only bullied the kid to make stronger sir"

vCash
    sounds like crappy justification for defending a city that doesn't support it's teams
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast