Thread: Somerville latest AB to jump ship

vCash

Somerville latest AB to jump ship

Somerville latest AB to jump ship

Greg Somerville - New Zealand's most-cap prop - is the latest All Black to head to Europe after a deal with Gloucester was announced on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old Crusaders prop will move to Kingsholm in December on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

"I have achieved virtually everything possible in New Zealand rugby and to have represented the All Blacks will always be something very special to me." he said.

"But this opportunity has developed and the chance to experience a new culture for myself and my family, and contribute to a side that is already right at the top of the English Premiership was an exciting opportunity to take up.

"I am looking forward to contributing to Dean Ryan's side and prove myself in different conditions and against different opponents.

"Gloucester's front-row options are already very talented and I am looking forward to adding to that mix next season."

Somerville follows the likes of Carl Hayman, Luke McAlister, Jerry Collins, Aaron Mauger and Nick Evans to Europe as experienced All Blacks who've decided to move inside the last year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My opinion is that following:

Seeing that NZ rugby is currently having financial difficulties they allow all top players to play overseas and earn some money Leaving NZ rugby time to recover financially
    Calling all the boys back for the next world cup of coarse

vCash
    yes the man as to look after himself and family in a long retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    My opinion is that following:

Seeing that NZ rugby is currently having financial difficulties they allow all top players to play overseas and earn some money Leaving NZ rugby time to recover financially
    Calling all the boys back for the next world cup of coarse
    thats a great point PB, but when it comes to world cups we all know what happens to the all blacks bottle then........