Poll: Defining Moments In Australian Rugby 1991-2001, choose your favourite moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defining Moments In Australian Rugby 1991-2001

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Defining Moments In Australian Rugby 1991-2001

In looking for something else I came across the following memorabilia piece and thought it would make a good poll.
    Of the seven moments below, which do you rate as THE defining moment of the decade?

Champions - Rugby Union - The Golden Decade

Defining Moments In Australian Rugby 1991-2001

Lynagh's match-winning try

In the World Cup quarterfinal, Michael Lynagh single-handedly snatches the game away from the Irish with a try created from sheer willpower.

Campese's miracle pass

In the World Cup semi-final, David Campese twists the All Black defence in and out, then throws a bold, brilliant 'no-look' pass to send Tim Horan in for a decisive try.

Gregan's match-saving tackle

Four minutes left on the clock, and an All Black Bledisloe Cup-winning try seems a certainty… until a young George Gregan comes to the rescue, with a ball-popping, eye-popping tackle.

Larkham's unforgettable drop goal

Deep into extra time in a World Cup semi-final with the scores welded together, and Steve Larkham chooses this moment to try his first drop-goal in international Rugby. A very good choice, as he puts Australia back on the road to ultimate glory 1 week later.

Eales' Bledisloe-winning penalty

Another Bledisloe cliffhanger. Time has run out… Australia are 2 points adrift… and the regular kicker is off the field. Miss the attempt, and lose the Cup. Make the kick, and win the Cup. Up steps John Eales…

Mortlock's Tri-Nations clincher

In an almost identical situation to the Eales kick 3 weeks prior, Australia's choices are again, simple: miss the kick, lose the Tri Nations Cup - slot the kick, and win it. However,.. regular kicker Stirling Mortlock is ON the field this time.

Harrison's Lions line-out steal

Playing in his first Test, and with the series teetering on the next passage of play, Justin Harrison makes a crucial steal from a rampaging Lions team, and makes the game… and the series, safe for Australia.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Toutai Kefu's try in the Bledisloe in Eales last match surely must be there....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well it's not, so choose from the seven

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Jeez make it easy why don't ya Burgs.......Campese Gregan or Eales.....hmmmm, this will take some thinking (Lynagh's try is a bit before my time, the other's don't match the emotion).

Kefu's try is the only one which comes close to these three and it should've made the list!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For me, Lynaghs try was an absolute master stroke.
    I loved watching it live (ie TV) but I have read a description in a Bio somewhere which describes them standing under the posts waiting for the kick.
    Lynagh (as acting Captain, I think Farr-Jones had gotten injured) gathered them around, ignoring the kick.
    Basically he said, "Right, this is what we are going to do to win this match" and it unfolded exactly as he told them, brilliant Captaincy and brilliant Rugby.
    And I guess you could say that without Lynagh's try there would never have been a Campese pass...
    Hopefully some of tech heads will find footage of it and the others.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I tried to look for it before as it proved how great minimalistic commentating can be but couldn't.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Eales kick, especially after reading about it in his biography...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Champion
    vCash
    Any one of them would be worthy winners but for me it's Lynagh's try against the Irish. As Burgs says there wouldn't have been Campese's pass if they hadn't won that game, and Lynagh's coolness in that situation was magnificent also I have to admit that I've had a crush on him for years ( I'm showing my age now). In 2nd spot it would be Eales kick. I was at the game and the celebrations after were huge, the AB fans were gracious in defeat, I'm not sure I would have been!
    I would love one of those on my wall (Hint hint Mr PG )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    For me, Lynaghs try was an absolute master stroke.
    I loved watching it live (ie TV)
    I've gotta say, for me, it's all about the emotion of the moment....I wasn't aware of rugby in Michael Lynagh's era so I wouldn't 'get it' I reckon.

Let's face it, Nobody's kick was nothing special out of context......he lobbed over a pressure kick from the edge....big deal, that happens a couple of times every season.......put it in the context of watching it on the telly within the excitement of the moment.....well the earth moved as it sailed over the posts!

You just can't transfer that feeling with words!

I finally went for Gregan's tackle, because I relive the amazement EVERY time I see it, the footage helps to build the climax of the moment, and the sweetness of holding onto the victory despite the Blacks thinking they had us done.......Brilliant!

C'mon the

vCash
    I picked Campese's try as, for me, that's the catalyst for Australian rugby's resurgence in popularity in the early 90's.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I finally went for Gregan's tackle, because I relive the amazement EVERY time I see it, the footage helps to build the climax of the moment, and the sweetness of holding onto the victory despite the Blacks thinking they had us done.......Brilliant!
    I think the footage of that tackle is what made it even better.. he just comes out of no-where!! lol

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I'm kind of following the Gigs theory in picking the best moment here, so I can kind of rule out 1991 since I was a bit young to really know what Rugby/the Wallabies were about.
    If Kefu's try were there I would have picked it- I was at the game and that moment is permanently inscribed in my mind. It's probably down to Eale's kick or Bernie's drop goal, though I can remember being very excited about Harrison's steal too, especially since the Lions tour had started not so well (for us) the week before (Ballymore (I think) covered in Red anyone??)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, in terms of context it's interesting no one has gone for Googies lineout yet Swee.
    At the time it was massive and as I recall totally saved the match.
    The other tries were sensational but my biased past forwards second vote would probably go to Harrison.
    Though that said the Gregan David and Goliath tackle was pretty amazing too, fortunately for me I had a clear winner!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I think the footage of that tackle is what made it even better.. he just comes out of no-where!! lol
    and the look on Wilson's face was possibly the most satisfying thing I have ever seen. He didn't know where George had come from either!

Tough call to choose this one but I have to go with the tackle because it was one of my first distinct rugby memories and had a lot to do with me falling in love with the game well and truly.

I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nope, the Eales kick for mine...most of the other contenders were sensational moments, but it was the building suspense up to the kick that made it for me (and being in a pub of repute with a 50-50 mix of hard core Wallaby and AB supporters all hanging on the result)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast