Thread: JWC - AUS vs FIJI

vCash

JWC - AUS vs FIJI

Australia were ruthless in the first half against Fiji - Australia had to overcome both a spirited Fiji team and a vociferous Rodney Parade crowd who made no secret of the fact they were backing the underdogs, before returning to the top of Pool C with a 53-17 win and setting up a potentially titanic clash with England on Saturday to determine who progresses to the IRB Junior World Championship semi-finals.

The Fijians play sparkled at times as they played with typical gusto and spirit of adventure, but Australia were simply too skilful and too well drilled and ruthlessly put away their South Sea island opponents.

Australia opened the scoring with a well-worked try for Junior Sovala Futi after only four minutes, but the Fijians delighted the crowd as they responded with a penalty from Sakiusa Malai Bulivakarua and then answered Sovala Futi’s second try with a superbly fashioned score of their own for centre Wiliame Umu.

However, the Australians replied in ruthless fashion as captain David Pocock, wing Blair Connor, full back Peter Betham and number 8 Seilala Lam all crossed before half time with the Fijians simply unable to cope with the pace and power of the men in gold who went in at the break leading 36-10.

The second half proved to be more of a stop-start affair as several injury breaks took their toll on the momentum of the game, although Australia added further tries from Connor and scrum half Will Genia within 10 minutes of the restart before Fiji centre John Stewart brought the crowd to its feet with a superb long range score.

The Fijians looked as though they might wilt in the closing stages as their opponents ground out a penalty try but far from it as the gallant islanders spent the final few minutes vainly pummelling the Australian defence in search of another score.

Australian centre Ben Tapuai caught the eye with a polished all round display and was named Man of the Match, while both wings Connor and Sovala Futi staked their claims for selection on Saturday against England with a brace of tries apiece.

QUOTES

Australia Head Coach Brian Melrose: “I thought we had some nice touches in the first half. I was happy with that and there was some improvement. The second half meandered a bit but full credit to the Fijians who threw the ball around and provided tough opposition. They were always dangerous with the ball.”

Australia Centre and Man of the Match Ben Tapuai: “They gave it to us in the forwards and made it hard to get a platform to go out wide but, fortunately, we play a structured game and were able to come away with the win. A win’s a win but there’s always room for improvement.”

Fiji Head Coach Rayne Simpson: “The game was always going to be physical against a team like Australia laden with Super 14 stars. But we expected that and I thought the boys did a great job. Our team morale is really good and the main focus is now on Canada.”

Fiji Captain Jese Cirikisuva: “It was quite tough and we didn’t play well in the first half. We have to work hard on our defence particularly in the backline where we made it too easy for Australia. But our spirit is good and we’re looking forward to Canada.”

Australia 53-17 Fiji
    (IRB.COM) Tuesday 10 June 2008
    By Duncan Wood
    From Newport

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bring on the stinkers

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Why didn't Haylet-Petty get another go after his 4 try performance in game 1? Or were they just rotating players to give everyone a go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Why didn't Haylet-Petty get another go after his 4 try performance in game 1? Or were they just rotating players to give everyone a go?
    I'd say so....rest the players up for the bigguns...

vCash
    yeah i'd say they're probably experimenting with players or just rotating, see how they all go and maybe choose the best team from that?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    they could be playing up to 5 games in 2 1/2 weeks, definetly need to rotate the squad a bit

vCash
    was this game on foxtel? ireland v's the baby blacks was on this afternoon, final score 65 - 10 new zealand......

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    was this game on foxtel? ireland v's the baby blacks was on this afternoon, final score 65 - 10 new zealand......
    I've been checking out all the games that they are playing on TV here and it looks like only games played in Cardiff are being televised anywhere. Presumably the finals will be played there but I think thats the best you'll do for Australian games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've been checking out all the games that they are playing on TV here and it looks like only games played in Cardiff are being televised anywhere. Presumably the finals will be played there but I think thats the best you'll do for Australian games.
    Yep it seems the rest of the world is at the mercy of whatever the Taffys are broadcasting. Still, it means you get to see some pretty sharp talent from all over.
    Christ it's fast.

Player
    vCash
    You can watch the highlights at the IRB website. Just came across this yesterday. Pretty impressive. Seem to have highlights of all the games!

International Rugby Board

Player
    vCash
    Actually, just looking, only round 1 is up as yet, but should be there soon! :-)