Poll: Would you get involved in a TWF Golden Oldies Team for Sydney '10?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: World Rugby Festival 2010 - Sydney, Australia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

World Rugby Festival 2010 - Sydney, Australia

World Rugby Festival 2010 - Sydney, Australia

26 September - 03 October

There is no better place to stage the 18th Air New Zealand Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival than Sydney, the famous gateway city to Australia. Air New Zealand in conjunction with Tourism New South Wales and Australian Rugby Golden Oldies look forward to hosting you in 2010.

Sydney, the gateway to Australia, is one of the worlds great cities. Easily accessible, modern and sophisticated, it has world class infrastructure, facilities and services. This, combined with its beauty and cosmopolitan lifestyle, make it a most desirable and highly regarded destination to stage the 18th Air New Zealand Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival in 2010.

Sydney is Australia's Rugby heartland, and home of the Australian Rugby Union. It is also the home of the highly competitive Super 14 franchise, "The Warratahs" and also hosted the semi finals and final of the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

The rugby for the 2010 Festival will be played on Sydney's Centennial Parklands located less than 5km from the centre of Sydney. The Parklands cover more than 360 hectares, and there will be provision for over 30 rugby fields within the Parklands. A central hospitality area will be created at the venue providing food and beverage, entertainment, changing facilities, information and Festival merchandising.

An official Festival Brochure is currently being compiled with a detailed version of the weeks activities, package options and pricing, as well as the official entry form. So keep an eye on the website for these details.

So dust off your boots and tell your mates to head to Sydney in 2010 for a Fair Dinkum Aussie Golden Oldies Rugby experience.

So here's the thing.
    One concept I've quietly been sitting on for the "right time" has been for TWF to form a Golden Oldies team.

Of the vast membership we enjoy, surely we could get twenty odd over 35 year olds together for a bit of fun and a beer with mates, new and old?!
    And I think we may have come to that "right time".

With just over two years to the Sydney Festival it gives us plenty of time to gather our thoughts and, if we decide to do it, plenty of time to organise a team and our lives to get to Sydney.
    As Paul Kelly likes to sing, from little things, big things grow.

Now with the '08 S14 Season out of the way things are bound to quieten down around here soon, so this could provide a focus for us all.
    Personally, I am committed through to October, but after that I am happy to help drive the project if there is enough support.

While the players need to be 35years and above that doesn't stop any of our younger members being involved with organising the show or just being supporters in getting to Sydney or even joining the proposed team at the Festival.

So, what we need for starters is a feel for if the interest is out there and if there are a couple of crew prepared to carry a little of the load.
    Give us your thoughts and we'll see what comes out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Would be a hoot to do - I will enjoy watching some of you grovel for the "pink" socks after a night out with the Innforcers - would be an excellent excuse to see Ranwick and Eastwood (?) clubs

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I'm a bit too young and a bit too female, but I'm happy to organise the cheer squad for you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, not exactly a roaring success to date but I live in hope that some of player age may show the enthusiasm of our fledgling Supporter Group!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm in (will play every minute if necessary).

Regarding organising, I'm be the grunt so I'll let you guys think it through and will contribute if and where possible.

I guess I should mention I haven't played contact in 4 years..but willing to put body on the line.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 05-06-08 at 14:01. Reason: The truth

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    How much will I get paid to play?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure you'll get paid out plenty if you play, Fulvio...

Last edited by Darren; 05-06-08 at 14:01. Reason: typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    How much will I get paid to play?
    Ask not what your favourite rugby site can do for you but what can you do for your favourite rugby site - else think of the compensation claims that will require processing

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Is that a definite nothing or is there room for negotiation? I do bring a certain amount of experience to the issue...

No, seriously, it's a great idea, made greater by the fact my son and his partner live in Sydney and I'll have somewhere to park the wife...

A few social functions spread over time, a quiz night or two, a raffle or three, and bingo, it's a reasonably inexpensive holiday with excellent company.

vCash
    Fulv, so where does that put you? From above, I place you in either "Would love to play." or more likely "Absolutely, I'm there to play and am happy to help organise too."

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I think TWF can throw it's support behind fundraising ventures to help subsidise airfares and/or accomodations for a TWF team

vCash
    First, get 20-30 couples, individuals committed.
    Second, reinforce that commitment with a non refundable $100 pp deposit early on.
    Third, get a $50 p mth compulsory (refundable) contribution fund started.
    Fourth, organise a function committee of 5 - 6 to arrange one fundraising function every 2 - 3 months. Draw on participants/friends/relatives to attend/donate/help organise functions.Use contacts within TWF, and the rugby clubs many are associated with, for venues/facilities.
    Fifth, centralise all funds/expenditure approval through one officer for control purposes. The buck and fiscal responsibility stops there.
    Sixth, don't waste time and effort with dreamers on committees - if you want a job done, get busy people to do it.
    Seventh, appoint a playing manager to organise entry into SCRUM and games for next year to keep the momentum, energy and a modicum of fitness up.

Stating the above is the easy bit.

The next step now and over the next few weeks is to get a list of names of those definitely wanting to be involved, and convening a meeting to start the ball rolling once they are identified.

Someone more computer savvy than me can set up a portion of this site for the collation of names ph. email, addresses etc in a suitable and privacy friendly manner.

I'm not volunteering to run this, but will do my bit as required.

All BS aside, I've been down this track before, know how it can be done, and have had a ball doing it.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great to hear Fulv.
    Hope you didn't type out those first few para's, virtually word for word off the Goldies site

As someone who self admittedly needs to pull his finger out and get fitter before getting much older, I see this as a great opportunity and time is on our side if we start it rolling this season.
    As stated above, I am pretty much unavailable through to October but, after that, I would be as fully involved as my location allows.

With a bit of negotiation with the relevant party I would imagine we already have a potential "jersey sponsor". Especially if we were to be taking on the Irish Expats who are based at the Irish Club

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Do you have to have played contact.....ever?

I've played several seasons of touch, but have never been tackled by anybody older than my under nines........I'd be keen to have a look at ti though and would make a final decision based upon how much I suck!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Here's a few sites if you aren't familiar with the Golden Oldies concept and want a bit more info:

Golden Oldies International site http://www.goldenoldiessports.com

Australian Rugby Goldies Australian Rugby Golden Oldies

WA Rugby Goldies Over 35s Rugby Union In Western Australia

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast