Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roff and Grey As Replacements!

vCash

Roff and Grey As Replacements!

Dont know if you have seen or heard the rumours but both Joe Roff and Nathan Grey are being bandied about as possible replacements due to our injury problems in the backs.

Now while I would love to see Big Joe line up for us I think that bringing him on board could slow down the development of players like Digby and Cameron Sheperd.

But getting Nathan Grey (who was the Waratahs best centre last year) could be a real bonus. He is an exceptionally hard runner and is exactly what we need to straighten up defences and give our wings a chance to make some plays...

On another note I was very pleased to see Mitchells comments about the game, as I thought we went backwards a long way from the week before in New Plymouth.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Nathan Grey would be brilliant for us.........is he not contracted to a Japanese club though?

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Aparently he is back in the country after doing his stint in Japan... And they are talking about both he and Roff... Saw an article on Fox Sports that mentioned it... But I dont think it is very likely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    If Grey is back you can bet the tahs will throw lots of money at him.

Roff would be a good signing, he's still pure class.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well Roff has put the kybosh on half the rumour, said he was never seriously considering it
    For the situation that we are in I think Grey would be the better option anyway, we don't really have much of a problem on the wing, it's the centres that need a good defensive leader. In my mind Grey was the best of all the Australian players last season in defense and would be pure Gold if he signed up.
    Would love to know who the players are who have made the approach over the last couple of days?!
    With such a young squad there must be a few dollars left floating around for wages to a top player.
    Matty Burke springs to mind immediately as someone still at the top of his game with a point to prove to Australian Rugby.
    Manny Edmonds was mentioned however I think if he was interested he would have signed in the initial squad rather than in a "crisis".

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Matty Burke is an absolute legend, what are the chances ?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Slim to none I would think, first there is his Newcastle contract (FT may know the time frame on that?) and then there is him actually wanting to.
    Before the team started to be drafted I had him as the first signing as I rate him still as one of the best couple of current Australian players.
    Either at Fullback or in the Centres his experience, leadership (for the backs) and boot would be absolutely invaluable.

vCash
    Burke re-signed with Newcastle for 2 years. Sorry guys.

Also I figure he'd be the same as Roff, he's a NSW boy through and through and fully expected to finish his career a waratah until he was cut loose.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought that would have been the case re contract Sage but in terms of "through and through" there are plenty of case studies in WA now who probably never thought they played rugby in WA let alone pictured themselves living here.
    Burkey left NSW in controversial circumstances, still at International standard and I would imagine quite a bit to "prove" to Link and the old crusties in NSWRU. He didn't just sail off into the sunset happily ever after.
    With a new Wallaby coach looking for tougher players there would be a fair carrot there for him to return.... if it wasn't for the Falcons contract.
    If no one pops up in the next couple of days, I would prefer them to stick with the current player group and start building towards '07, even if it means losing a few Members along the way.

vCash
    Well who knows what would happen if Burke was off contract, I'm just content in my thinking that Burke would come back one day so don't ruin that for me. We could use a centre in the Waratahs ranks and I for one would have laughed at Link if he tried to re-sign Burke (I never agreed with cutting him loose in the first place).

It's sometimes better to stick with the players you have, it shows faith in the players and helps the team bond. It's just really unfortunate with all the injuries. You have Lachlan MacKay for 5 minutes and you break him.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, still no word from Grey that I know of, but the Sunday Times reports that the Force are in talks with two players, one in Australia and one overseas but O'Meara can't comment on any names as one of them is currently under contract with another Club.
    Sorry Sage, but the first overseas player under contract that comes to mind is Burkey
    An exprienced name that keeps coming to mind is Mark Bartholomeusz who was under consideration by many commentators for the original Squad as an Utility Back.
    One outsider to consider would be Brendan Williams who is making a return to Australian Rugby in the Commonwealth Games Squad.
    Although he is a Full Back/Wing it may allow James Hilgendorf to come forward or Scott Staniforth in and generally add pace and attack to the backline:

To hell and back in search of gold

A GIFTED player sacked by the NSW Waratahs four years ago has beaten drinking and personal problems to win a place in the Australian Sevens rugby squad at the Commonwealth Games.

Attacking maestro Brendan Williams has completely turned his life around after hitting rock bottom when he went through a painful relationship breakdown which threatened his promising career.

And following his resurrection in Italy, the 27-year-old answered an SOS from coach Glen Ella to join the Australian squad chasing a gold medal.

Ella says the Aussie side needed someone else who was capable of turning a game.

"I'm just hoping if he's fit and ready to go he could be the difference," he said.

After being on fire at the start of 2001, Williams crashed, culminating in being disciplined for turning up late for three Blues training sessions.

"It was very disappointing for me. It was like being in first class and then getting dropped back to economy," Williams said of his axing by NSW.

"I think everyone has been through tough times; you have your ups and downs and you overcome them. You've only got to go forwards; you can't go backwards. I've stepped forward and stepped up."

When he was released from his ARU contract in 2001, Williams took the punt and headed to Italy in a bid to pick up the shattered pieces of his career.

"I wasn't running away – I just got that opportunity to play in Europe," he said.

"It was a gamble to leave all your friends and your family."

The Mediterranean culture is a world away from where he grew up at Redfern's notorious Block, in inner-city Sydney, but he hit the ground running.

On-field, Williams rediscovered his old spark, being named Italian player of the year for the past two seasons as well as top tryscorer for the past three.

"Rugby has changed me a lot, especially being overseas and being independent," he said.

"I never spoke a word of Italian, but now I can order a cappuccino. I love it and the people are amazing."

Williams lives in a two-bedroom apartment with his fiancee Natalie, a Sydney girl who is expecting the couple's first child.

And these days the only time he drinks is if he has a glass of wine over dinner.

"I've got responsibilities now. I've got to look after myself and my missus," he said.

But he admits it was a great surprise when he received Ella's text message asking if he was available for the Games.

"To be recognised again has just blown me away and I jumped at the opportunity," he said. "It was like a second chance; it's just amazing."

Ella says Williams has settled down well and got his life together.

"He's an exceptional player who can go from a standing start to flat out in two seconds. He can stop on a sixpence and turn around and go in the other direction just as fast," he said.

Starring in the Commonwealth Games could be the catalyst for Williams to win another start in Super 14.

"There will be plenty of exposure and publicity, so it's up to him now," Ella said.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    According to my mates Grey has turned down the offer. Had a chat with Peter O'Meara the other day but he wasn't giving anything away. I'll explain that later.

Just happy to be here

vCash

Question

I've never given this idea of who might be on the shopping list much thought.

How are the current players contracted? How many only for one season? IIRC there is a limit on squad numbers so what can The CEO currently offer players to come here?

With this in mind I woulda thought blokes who are finished in Japan or wherever would make valuable stop gaps for the short term, returning for any on-going commitments. Nathan Grey would be fantastic. We REALLY need someone at 12 to run straight at the line and commit a couple of defenders or break the line. He's just the ticket. But I won't hold my breath

If we can't get Grey or a similar player nearly as good, I prefer developing the blokes we have. It's been a damned unlucky start but for all that they aren't getting flogged. Just remember what they did against the Cheetahs. And the Cheetahs have looked pretty good since. I'm in for the long haul.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Currently the Force Squad are contracted to 1, 2 or 3 year terms.
    My understanding is that the following are on one year terms: John Welborn, David Fitter, Luke Doherty, Tajhon Smallman-Mailata, Pek Cowan, Vitori Buatava, Tim Davidson & AJ Whalley.
    I am unsure of David Puseys term but the rest are on two or three years contracts.
    I imagine the Apprentice players would be a year by year prospect.
    From what I've read the replacement player will be on a special contract for the season by permission of the ARU and will be an extra member in addition to the existing squad but replacing Junior as a playing option.

vCash
    Sage as usual is spot on about matt resigning with the Falcons, must surely be his last major contract see here http://www.newcastle-falcons.co.uk/3...e5f865c25b04b8

Personally I hope he is in the Newcastle side that I will watch lose to Bath this Saturday and I can appreciate why you would want him back in Oz but these players see the Guinness Premiership as a way to top up their pension fund...you cant blame them.

By the way (probably on about 10 other threads i have yet to read) but the rumour is that Bath will supply another member of the Australian coaching staff with Mike Foley joining JC as the forwards coach(announcement expected Tuesday). I know Burgs has firm views on how the Wallabies will perform under the new management but I fear for those of you who like expansive 15 man rugby, this will be the same management partnership that created the best pack in the GP but in a team that couldn't score a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast