Thread: ELV Insanity Continues

vCash

ELV Insanity Continues

The ELV's were designed in Stellenbosch by a panel appointed by the IRB and led by Rod MacQueen. Perversely, the reason for their design was to simplify the game of Rugby. While this simplification may eventually lead to less confusion around the contest for possession, it's the manner and timing of their implementation that has led to this current state of insanity.

I've spent half the afternoon when I should have been working putting together this handy table of which ELV's apply and when. Perhaps the teams, players and referees can print it out and refer to it at the bottom of mauls and when passing the ball back into their 22.
    My biggest beef with the implementation of these new laws is, as with all things IRB, politics. The laws were trialled in the 2007 ARC and the players, referees, coaches, media and IRB observers all agreed they were mostly good, however there was contention over the ability to pull down mauls.

As such, the Super 14 adopted the new laws minus the pulling down of mauls. All rejoiced at the greater understanding at the breakdown, the extra minutes of ball in play, the increased turnovers in the constant battle for possession. We were happy that the fundamentals of the game hadn't changed - it was still a game for all body types, dominant scrums still dominated, and Richie McCaw was still a cheat.
    Now we find ourselves having blooded the ELV's at ARC, Currie Cup, NPC and Super 14 levels. It's been an overwhelming success. Alas, bar the Scots, the Northern Hemisphere have shown little to no interest. The Poms (especially Jeremy Clarkson[/URL]) seem to believe the whole ELV 'scandal' is one perpetrated by Australians in order to make their scrum competitive. Fair point, our scrum has been woeful in recent memory, but perhaps one could watch a game of the Super 14 before passing judgment.

After a great Super 14 season we now find ourselves at the June Internationals with the Northerns coming south in search of Winter. To appease them we're going to revert to the old laws. Yep, for 6 weeks only the all you can eat 3 point penalties are back on the menu. If we're lucky England and South Africa can replay the RWC final.

So, what to do for the Tri Nations then? SANZAR have pulled a rabbit out of the hat here by seamlessly sliding back to ELV's, but for good measure pulling out a further two ELV's. Until this point SANZAR had making the best of the situation, but why the f'uck would they introduce 2 extra ELV's and not the final 3 ELV's?
    Now we'll go from 8 to 0 to 10 to 13 ELV's.

Here's an example of the clarity that the ELV's have given us. The 1st rule determined that Touch Judges should be referred to as Assistant Referees for the Super 14. Then period between 1st May and 17th July they'll revert to Touch Judges for the June International Tests, before switching back to Assistant Referees within SANZAR while retaining the Touch Judge title elsewhere for the Tri-Nations period. From the 1st August they'll be Assistant Referees everywhere. Glad we cleared that up.

If you're interested in what these new laws actually are, here's the list of
    2008 Super 14 ELV's and heres the Final ELV List from August 1st 08

---
    If you appreciate this blog post, click here and comment on the Author's website

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Moses; 04-06-08 at 14:30.

vCash

vCash
    Mate, where's the one about most offences being a free kick rather than a penalty....That in my opinion was the telling rule which opened the play up and made the game more entertaining, that one probably sufferes worse treatemnt than all the others because I think it's not allowed in the final trial!

or am I wrong...this ELV shit is confusing the heck out of me now!

C'mon the

vCash
    im all for the elv's surely the touring team should play by the host nations rules.......good effort on that table moses......

vCash
    our coach tried explaining some weird flaw in the elvs about when stealing the ball of a tackled player, e.g the opposition fullback, the best option is to get the ball,turn and roll the ball back towards your team because all the opposition is still offside hence they cannot play the ball. it was very strange that he was telling us this and after my weekend i was falling asleep anyways but it just seems like a silly thing to do. wouldnt it be best to get the ball and continue going forward instead of rolling the ball back like a grenade waiting for the enemy to go near it and blow up....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

or am I wrong...this ELV shit is confusing the heck out of me now!
    I thought I had a handle on them until I saw Moses' table. If that's correct then the Tri Nations will be played under differing laws (sections 3, 7 & 8) within the one tournament. Unbelievable.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    LAW 6, 1b is so pretentious.

Also for the two week period of the tri-nations using the modified laws, the have to play with these laws twice, whereas the cuzzy bros and yarpies only play once.

vCash
    I think we're actually using the 3NELVs for the duration of the 3N, they we'll be alinging with the northern hemisphere at it's conclusion for the end of year tour.

So... the new ELVs apply everywhere, except SANZAR from 1st August, I think. Either way, we'll probably just have a captains agreement prior to kickoff and decide on the day which ones we'll play.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe this could be something the TMO could handle. He could buy one of Moses' charts and then whisper into the Ref's ear as to the rules that apply for each phase of play

Great write up Moses.

I still can't work out why we have to change when ELV's are coming into force anyway.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Player: Ref I am off side or aren't I?
    Ref: I don't know! It's a pen...free...scrum...Oh! Kick it, let's have a beer!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I know its a whores handbag at the moment, but things will settle down and all for the betterment of the game.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing