Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drugs in Local Rugby

vCash
    im feeling bloated right now...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    i didn't know we had a testing policy and to be honest it doesnt bother me one bit at all - i know my club will be safe, we are lucky if half the team even does extra training outside of your tuesday, thursday standard sessions.

if there is tests to be done so be it, i think it is highly unlikely anyone will test positive for performance enhancing drugs - unless there is something in those nasal decongesting sprays
    That's the bit that bothers me - from peps who get tested for their jobs here there are a few instances where you get a false positive -so it is imperative to do it properly to ensure the innocent remain innocent - the best one I heard was one guy who drinks nothing but water (tee total to boot !) and his sample was so diluted he ended up be tested 3 days running then taken of work with pay and made to drink cordial -(which his collegues enjoyed enormously as they kenw he is tee total) - which he hates to do a proper sample !!!!!

The point is that to drug testing properly would be beyond most clubs (complete with isolation procedures to ensure the samples presented are belonging to the person who it claims to be would be expensive, invasive and to some demeaning). It would be incredibly unlikely that you would get many positives to performance enhancing stuff but you are likely to have embarrassing (for rugby) positives to dope - even one would be enough to get the media going about the Wild wild west again.

Surely before a contract is presented to a young person then it would be part of his contract that they are "clean"

As for amateurs and drugs - if I suspected that anyone was taking performance enhancing drugs - I would be waving the brochures from the drug hotline under their noses or forcing them to read em if I could - because that stuff can do a lot of damage.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    yep drugs are bad and can ruin one's life - alot of people my age are playing around with the so called "party drugs" and i'm observing them slowly lose control of themselves. its not good at all.

As for drugs in the local rugby scene im sure there is some drug users around the place but that is not what our competition is about and i dont think it ever will be. for me rugby has always been about getting on the field and going to war against the opposition then having a beer with them afterwards - and thats the way i hope it stays!!

vCash
    im feeling bloated right now...
    Whatever you do, don't take a 'water' pill....apparently they're not just water!

C'mon the

vCash
    i never took roids or anything when i was playing rugby seriously, this is back in Brisbane schoolboys/colts rugby, but it was definetly there, i got offered some roids by a team mate but he never came through with it, but there was massive competition back then, especially because when you are colts/schoolboys you have some blokes develop faster then others, you have some players who feel the need to compensate this with a little extra supplement.

Nearly all the blokes in the team were on creatine or protein supplements, and we were training 4 fitness sessions a week in the off season with weights sessions 3/4 tiems a week on top. It was pretty incredible how some people changed because of it, i lost about 10kg though that was mainly my baby fat, i put on serious muscle mass and i was stronger then before and the whole team was about 15% faster then the season before.

I bring that up, because its that type of training regime that tips players into steroids and other drugs to enchance there performance, its so intense you need supplements to keep training, especially younger blokes who dont know any better.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    especially younger blokes who dont know any better.
    I can't see how anyone could use that as an excuse today. There is so much press and info out now that you would have to be living on Jupiter not to hear about it.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I can't see how anyone could use that as an excuse today. There is so much press and info out now that you would have to be living on Jupiter not to hear about it.
    yeah but the full effects are still rather vague, there is no complete clinical diagnosis of what steroids actually do to you. There are cases where people have taken roids way to much, and they have had bad outcomes.

But for the 'casual' user who uses it in moderation, there isnt any real reseach which proves what prolonged useage of the stuff actually does.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Tell them their dick will shrink. That should scare most young blokes away from the stuff

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Tell them their dick will shrink. That should scare most young blokes away from the stuff
    Ah poop!!!!

vCash
    But I never touched the stuff, yet......
    But seriously, in my days back east half the team got stoned after the game (actually, some got stoned before the game) more often than not, and party drugs were easily available from certain people, but as for performance enhancing, maybe a hit of bourbon or scotch before a game, or half time perhaps...
    My experience over here in the west has been similar in the lower grades, but much more professional in the higher grades, with alcohol the drug of choice after matches, with the occasional smell of reefer in the air, still never really seen any steroid usage though...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    well i for one know that there is definately no performance enhancing drugs in my club... the closest thing to it is people having "no-xplode" creatine mix before they run on,...
    Which is a slippery slope, as TOCC rightly points out:
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ...back in Brisbane schoolboys/colts rugby... there was massive competition back then, especially because when you are colts/schoolboys you have some blokes develop faster then others, you have some players who feel the need to compensate this with a little extra supplement.

Nearly all the blokes in the team were on creatine or protein supplements, and we were training 4 fitness sessions a week in the off season with weights sessions 3/4 tiems a week on top. It was pretty incredible how some people changed because of it, i lost about 10kg though that was mainly my baby fat, i put on serious muscle mass and i was stronger then before and the whole team was about 15% faster then the season before.

I bring that up, because its that type of training regime that tips players into steroids and other drugs to enchance there performance, its so intense you need supplements to keep training, especially younger blokes who dont know any better.
    As soon as you start believing you need one sort of chemical 'help' for your training or performance, you are likely to be much more easily persuaded to try something else. Much better to have a varied diet including cooked meat (higher creatine content), but with a combination of proteins, as this leads to production of a combination of amino acids, which is what helps build muscle (sort of - feel free to correct me - I'm not a chemist after all!).

From my experience, eat your protein-rich meal the right amount of time before training, keep hydrated, and replace carbs after (nice bowl of pasta always did it for me) and you should be away!

[Jedi will be laughing to himself here, but in the past I did go to the gym quite a lot. And I also danced for many years, which is much more intensive than many people realise!]

Oh and don't give your body too much extra to do, processing high-sugar 'energy' drinks - you'll upset the balance of insulin production. Yes, a combination of water, sugar and salt/electrolytes will rehydrate you and replenish energy, but only use when absolutely needed - a banana and some water would be much healthier, if available!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Champion
    vCash
    Any updated info? Interesting to see the Force players can make a choice to go to Sydney or Brisbane to play.

This could be by perception a easy " In" for a player to cheat via playing in the Perth Comp

I doubt it would happen , but the opportunity is there

vCash
    Drugs in sport is a very contentious issue that will always conjure some passionate debate, though primarily conjecture and inuendo, regarding a very damaging prospect and accusation.

While the topic regarding "drug testing" was brought up - I have not seen any discussion regarding the legitimacy, accuracy, reliability, and financial viability of implementing such a measure in the local competition. In general, the main discussion seems to centre around a justification as to the measure being brought in - which - as a moral issue is common knowledge, and shouldn't need justification to be sought after.

Many national competitions implement drug testing, randomised (or otherwise), in order to maintain the integrity of the competition. However, such measures need heavy investment, with strict controls, clear management and adequate privacy rights. Incorrectly implementing testing will only damage a competitions image, and that of its constituents. This is where a risk -vs- reward analysis would be worthwhile in the state competition.

Last edited by Nicolas Hart; 12-01-09 at 16:43.

vCash
    good first post NH! welcome along....

vCash
    well since i last replied on here all sports in australia have agreed to the WADA agreement, and from the 1st January 2009 all performance enhancing drugs now comes with a ban from sport double that of previous.

on the topic though, ive started back on the creatine though, ive being doing weights 5 times a week and cardio twice a week. I have definetly noticed the improvment that the creatine has given though, i was working out at the same rate prior to taking the creatine and it just gives you that extra few reps at the gym, and allows you to go just that little bit harder, also aids you recovery time between gym sessions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast