Thread: 'No prescription' for Boks coach

vCash

Question 'No prescription' for Boks coach

As selectors prepare to name the first Springbok squad of the year, South African rugby's most powerful office-bearer has stated unequivocally: "There will be no quotas."

These are the words of SA Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins with less than a week to go before coach Peter de Villiers is expected to name his squad on Saturday night.

The 45-man squad, set to be named after the whistles blow at the end of the last of the Super 14 pool matches, will be the first to be picked by a black Bok coach.

De Villiers has been an outspoken proponent of radical transformation of the national team, prompting some uncertainty about selection policy.

But Hoskins was clear: "My philosophy for team selection is actually the simplest: that is, we pick the best team to win for the country.

"I'm sure that Peter wants to win, and I'm sure he understands that that is his job."

On quotas or "targets", as with the official policy in South African cricket, Hoskins said: "I made it very clear when Peter was appointed that I did not want to have a presidential veto. There is no prescription on the man. As a coach he must have free rein to pick his 15. And there will definitely be no quota."

Asked if he had any concerns about De Villiers's imminent selections, he said: "What bothered me with Jake White was losing" - and the same would apply to De Villiers.

"He must pick the players that he must pick, but losing is always going to be a problem for me and for the nation. It's up to the coach to pick his team and have faith in his team.

"It's really important that we stay a winning side, because we are the world champions. It's important that we continue to win," he said.

De Villiers is on record as saying he believed the Bok team could comprise as many as 10 first-choice black players out of a starting 15 - but that they would all be good enough to picked on "merit".

It is widely believed that De Villiers will call up Stormers loose forward Luke Watson - of whom the Bok coach is a known fan.

De Villiers has already announced that World Cup-winning captain John Smit will be his first captain of the year, but has repeatedly spoken about Watson's leadership qualities in the past.

Craig Livingston, a sports agent who represent many of the country's top rugby players, as well as star Proteas bowler Makhaya Ntini, said this morning: "It's excellent news that the best team will be picked. The public and the players would be very heartened to hear that - regardless of colour or cultures, et cetera."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    bump

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    there is no quota, but if there was a quota that number would be 11.
    but there is no quota. stop saying quota, we're picking on merit now. yep, merit.. as long as it's representative otherwise we'll overrule selections.