Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tialata To Face Judiciary over Haylett-Petty Tackle

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Tialata To Face Judiciary over Haylett-Petty Tackle

The Hurricanes' playoff hopes could be delivered a sledgehammer blow when Neemia Tialata appears before the Super 14 judiciary tonight.

Tialata has been cited for a dangerous tackle after he upended Force wing Dane Haylett-Petty in a pro-wrestling-style suplex throw late in the Hurricanes' 21-10 win in Wellington last Friday.

The tighthead prop faces at least a two-week ban under the "lower end" of recommended penalties in the International Rugby Board's regulations, where the top end sanction is 10 weeks or more.

A two-week ban would see Tialata miss Friday night's crucial "quarterfinal" against the Blues and a semifinal next week if the Hurricanes confirm their playoff spot with a win at Eden Park.

In-form hooker Andrew Hore said losing the All Blacks prop would be a blow as he rated the Blues scrum as the best in the Super 14. "It will be a battle up front with [All Blacks] Tony Woodcock and Keven Mealamu there, and John Afoa's going all right.

"Hopefully, we can step up and give it a crack but it will be a big loss if Neemia gets a week."

Former All Blacks prop Richard Loe slammed the Hurricanes props a few weeks ago, suggesting "you'd struggle to get a day's work out of them" and saying Tialata was unfit and "won't get fit this side of spring".

The comments infuriated the props (and coach Colin Cooper) but seemed to have spurred Tialata and Tim Fairbrother, who have lifted their games.

Hore said some of Loe's criticism had been taken on board and Tialata, Fairbrother and John Schwalger had been working hard.

He was also confident that if Tialata was banned, Schwalger and Fairbrother would cope.

There are several factors working in Tialata's favour, not least Sanzar's judicial officials who have a history of ignoring the IRB's recommended penalties when making decisions.

Tialata was also lucky he was penalised at the time as offences not dealt with on the pitch are often more harshly treated by the judiciary. It was a near-run thing.

Referee Jonathan Kaplan was alerted to the tackle by assistant referee Bryce Lawrence who saw what happened and confirmed its severity by watching a replay on the stadium screen.

The Hurricanes have collected seven different television angles of the tackle and will have the New Zealand Rugby Union's legal hotshot Steve Cottrell arguing Tialata's case.

Tialata was charged with striking when the Hurricanes played the Force in Perth last year, and got off.

Cottrell will argue there was no intent in the tackle, but he may struggle to convince judicial officer Chris Morris that it was not reckless and potentially harmful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Certainly potentially harmful. I'd like to think Tialata knew what he was doing and has the strength to pull it off 'safely' - which in this instance he did. However....

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I can't see any way he could use the "oops I slipped" plea. The only way you can pull that tackle off is if you meant to do it.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I recall saying rather loudly in the public place I was watching the match, "What the f... was THAT?!?!?!" It was just such a stupid thing to have done.
    All he had to do was lay on him to stop the poor (not so, but relatively) little bugger!
    Top marks to Dane though as he withstood that and a couple of other very heavy hits in those few minutes and came out with flying colours.
    The only downside to it going to the Judiciary is that they may pick up the sweet right cross Dane gave Tialata as he stood up

Last edited by Burgs; 12-05-08 at 09:27.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It wasn't a Right Cross, Dane was brushing some grass off his chin for him

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    First rucking now this, bring back the bloody manliness into the game, it isn't AFL, he put him down safely with a textbook slam, what's the problem?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps you'll offer your services to the Judiciary as tackle bag stunt double Exhibit A BLR?
    As far as I know the Union "textbook" doesn't include a "slam" in it, but it is pretty specific about taking a tackled player past the horizontal and causing his head to hit the ground first, which it actually did if you watch it on the replay.
    It was purely good luck rather than good tackling that it didn't end up far worse.
    I don't think there was any extra malice involved, just a Prop having a Dunning moment, the on field equivalent of a blonde moment. It deserved a Yellow for sure (bloody Kaplan ) and will probably get the minimum two weeks.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That was a pointless disgraceful tackle. As I said in another thread, if Dane's head was even slightly in a different position then......
    I did like that Dane used Tialata's face to lean on to just help himself get back on his feet. Good work Dane!!
    Kaplan, you idiot. Hope Tialata gets maximum suspension available for that tackle and I hope Kaplan goes to an optometrist.

Champion
    vCash
    bye bye hurricanes, weepu should be done also for stomping.. two kiwi teams are on the brink of bye byes.. hurricanes will lose to blues / chiefs are gone..

vCash
    Weepu stomped on Sharpie's forearm..correct?

Im all for Rugby being a man's game and a rough competition between two sides and I know there will always be a sly punch thrown around and bit of competition between the blokes themselves, but seriously do they need to go for the body slam and stomping studs into someone? It's just pointless, it detracts from what the game is all about and doesn't look good for Rugby as a sport (IMHO).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    That was a pointless disgraceful tackle. As I said in another thread, if Dane's head was even slightly in a different position then......
    I did like that Dane used Tialata's face to lean on to just help himself get back on his feet. Good work Dane!!
    Kaplan, you idiot. Hope Tialata gets maximum suspension available for that tackle and I hope Kaplan goes to an optometrist.
    But his head wasnt in a different position, it was no where near...Tialata isn't an amateur, he would have known what he was doing, and by his form I'd say he is a bit of a WWE fan.

If Tialata gets a large suspension I will know that rugby has turned into a powder puff game...did you see how much effort he put into the slam? It wasn't like a spear tackle into the ground that your Digby Ioane's do, it was more of a showing the young boys 'Welcome to the Super 14', and because of the differing sizes he didn't once look like he was putting Dane in any danger. We get rattled by rough play, that is our problem and the Canes know that.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    it was no where near...
    Might want to head down to the optometrist mate, his head made contact with the ground!
    Fair enough having a bit of a fish but at least stick to the realms of believability!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Tialata isn't an amateur, he would have known what he was doing,
    And should have known better

Posted via space

vCash
    Why hasn't young Piri been cited?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    BLR The intent was there whether you like it or not he knew exactly what he was doing when he lifted the lad. Also in those conditions it takes only a minor slip and bam a broken neck. That is the whole idea of the law to help keep players safe. They are to many ex players of all codes in wheel chairs from mindless larrikins like him. Also Weppie stomping should have him suspended also no attempt was made to rake in a backwards motion only full on down on Sharpies arm who had no way of getting out of the way. We dont need that crap in the game any more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast