Poll: What is the appropriate format for Super 14 Finals?

Thread: Sharpie calls for S14 finals revamp

vCash

Sharpie calls for S14 finals revamp

Call for finals revamp
    BY PETER FITZGERALD Call for finals revamp - Local News - Sport - Rugby Union - The Canberra Times

16/05/2008 9:03:00 AM

Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe has reignited calls for Super 14 governing body SANZAR to increase the competition's finalists from four to six teams.

With one round of the season left before the play-offs, seven sides remain in the race to play elimination rugby.

Despite neither the Force or ACT Brumbies being in the running, Sharpe believed it was time competition bosses expanded the number of finalists to give teams more motivation at the latter end of the season.

''This competition is very open and when you come to the last round and there are so many sides that can still make the finals, you'd probably like to see a little more reward for your efforts of the past six or seven months,'' the Wallabies lock said.

''When you get so close but miss out by one or two points, as some teams will again this year, you don't really see that as enough reward. ''If you opened it to a top six, it
    would increase the intensity required to take the championship.''

The Force began the season with four wins in six games but has again finished poorly. It's a similar scenario to last season when the West Australians were in the hunt for the finals before four losses from their final five games saw them finish seventh, 10 points adrift from the fourth-placed Auckland Blues.

The Brumbies have been arguably the biggest losers under the top-four format. Since winning the Super rugby championship in 2004, the Canberra-based team has finished fifth, sixth and fifth. They have missed the finals due to a lack of bonus points on each occasion.

Three weeks ago they left for their three-week end-of-season tour of South Africa and Perth as genuine prospects for a finals berth. But back-to-back losses overseas has ensured the Brumbies will finish no higher than eighth and as far back as 10th it will be their worst finish to a season in a decade and second-worst ever.

Sharpe had little sympathy for the Brumbies but accepted they had been unlucky not to have reached the play-offs in four years.

''This is the type of competition where one poor performance can cripple your season,'' he said.

''I don't think anyone wants a comp where one game can make or break you and where every match has so much significance.''

Both the Brumbies and Force completed preparations for the game with their respective captain's runs at Subiaco Oval yesterday.

Force winger Drew Mitchell suffered a freakish ankle injury which is expected to sideline him from tonight's match.

Before training, Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock did his best to spark some trash-talk between the sides, even if it was with a smile on his face as he attacked good friend and Force flyhalf Matt Giteau.

''He got knocked out mid-season and while I got knocked out the same weekend, I got done by [Auckland Blues hooker] Keven Mealamu who's pretty solid whereas Gits got knocked out by Sam Norton-Knight, who's built like a toothpick.''

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice trash talk by Mortlock, although the fact is Mortlock himself is twice the size of Giteau anyway so there it's not really a fair comparison because things aren't all fair.

Now Sharpey is behind an extended finals series it's confirmed it is a good idea, can we get it in this year still?

vCash
    To be honest I'm not sure I agree with Sharpie here. I do think that the finals need to be revamped but his explanation sounds a little like sour grapes to me (which is very un-Sharpie). Perhaps it is the way the article has been written, but imho I don't think that a teams motivation should rest solely on their finals hopes. What about remaining motivated playing brilliant rugby for their fans, for their coach, for their trainers, for their families and friends, for themselves and their own pride? The fact remains that it is a competition. It a chance to show why you are the best of the best.

Yes there are teams which sadly seem to miss out every year because of one or two bad performances, but conversely there are teams who through consistency and damn hard work are there every year. It is not impossible to make it to the finals, and I certainly don't think it is impossible for the Force to make it through as well. Sure, we've been unlucky injury wise this season but our demise started long before people were being side lined.

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    ''I don't think anyone wants a comp where one game can make or break you and where every match has so much significance.''
    Why not? What does he think international rugby is like? Every game should be treated as a make or break game. That is the nature of a good and competitive competition. We have enough talent over the three s14 countries to ensure that the competition will be of a such a quality that you simply can't afford to have a bad couple of games. Step up. Perform. You're being paid to do it.

Perhaps what we need to revamp first is our dedication and consistency before we start blaming the competition structure.

Last edited by Jehna; 16-05-08 at 11:44.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Why not? What does he think international rugby is like? Every game should be treated as a make or break game. That is the nature of a good and competitive competition. We have enough talent over the three s14 countries to ensure that the competition will be of a such a quality that you simply can't afford to have a bad couple of games. Step up. Perform. You're being paid to do it.

Perhaps what we need to revamp first is our dedication and consistency before we start blaming the competition structure.
    Easier said then done...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Easier said then done...
    Oh of course BLR. No one is pretending it isn't tough. But this high tier competition. It has to be tough.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well written Jen and I can see your argument for sure however, I see it a little more from the other end.

A six team finals would give more reward to the top two teams for finishing 1st and 2nd, either with a bye or a second chance.

It is a fine balance that SANZAR need to consider in any discussion of a change in ensuring quality over quantity while appeasing the fans desire for quantity of quality!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think had say Richie McCaw raised the same point it would have had a lot more credibility. Sour Grapes indeed.

vCash
    What Jehna said. Like most supporters, I want to see more Rugby but the key is a revamp of the S15 structure and a possible expansion. I've never agreed with the NRL / ARL tactic of rewarding mediocrity for the sake of generating extra cash, though I acknowledge that some well performed teams miss the play offs under the current system.

I also don't like our skipper making bullets for Chook to fire. He's a bit slow on the uptake today but I'm sure he'll get a couple of shots off soon as he sees this.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    No matter what they do there is always going to be some teams that just miss out. There aren't many, if any, competitions around the world where there is a big difference between the last team to make the finals and the first team to miss it. I'm a pretty big baseball fan and in the MLB the season is 162 games. Up until about 10 or 15 years ago it was only the top 4 out of over 20 teams that got into the playoffs. They've expanded it to 8 teams now, but some teams still miss out by 1 game. Anyways, my point is that they shouldn't expand it just because a few good teams are missing out. Imagine if last year the finals had been top 12. The Reds and Tahs would have been whining...if only 14 teams got into finals...

vCash
    If it was 6 teams - then Aus would have 1 team in the finals - after tomorrow they may have none depending on how the Tahs go.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Agree with you Jehna. The only reason I see why you would have an extended finals format is where teams are split in divisions/conferences/pools. In that case, there would be teams that would never meet in the course of the normal season and to get a fair assessment of who's the best of the best, a quarterfinal or similar extension would make sense. Should they expand the S14 to a pool or divisional format then to an extended finals format, otherwise, keep it as it is and work with what you've got Sharpie.