View Poll Results: 6PR should broadcast games (pretty simple but 6PR doesnt think so)

Voters
29. This poll is closed
  • Yes

27 93.10%
  • NO

0 0%
  • dont care

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Broadcast of Force games come on force supporters MUST READ!

Apprentice
    vCash

No Broadcast of Force games come on force supporters MUST READ!

I am writting to express the anger that many fans of The Western Force has for the radio sponsor 6PR. they have this listed on there website:

"Perth's Sports Leader 882 6PR proudly sponsors the Emirates Western Force. You'll hear every game live from Subiaco Oval from our broadcast team who will be joined by special guests. You'll also get to hear members of the Emirates Western Force during Sport Central each week on 6PR."

Yet we never seem to hear their games and have been told this:

"To enter simply listen to the 6PR broadcast of any and all home games for the secret question, log onto TWF and follow the links from the home page to enter. Each correct answer after each home game gets you an entry in the draw. Great prize, great commentary with a distinctly Western Australian flavour. Take your radio to the game and tune in to 6PR on 882 AM." though it is doesn't have the audience.
    this is what they have said to TWF
    `Unfortunately 6PR were only ever committed to covering Home games, and it turns out that even this isn’t going to happen! With the demise of SportFM we are sadly left wanting…To add insult to injury, 6PR management have pulled the next 2 weeks Rugby broadcasts in favour of AFL with the occasional cross to Mick Colliss at the ground. Many (including Mick) are a bit miffed by this decision, but being a commercial enterprise I guess 6PR have to follow the dollar. (a Rugby broadcast apparently runs at a loss) For away games, we managed to find online radio stations doing broadcasts over the internet and quite likely will find the same for home games. If you aren’t at a game or somewhere showing the game, it’s often worth checking in on TWF to see if someone has found a live broadcast.
    that they have stated that it doesnt make good programming for their listeners.
    If any body has the same problem please post so that we can show them thast it is good progrmming. Pretty simple but i think that it may grab a few organisers attentions.` So much of 6PR being the Rugby sports leading radio station. Please comment so that we can bring this concern to light and maybe let them see that they have the audience for the games at least for next season.

Liana

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks Liana - I agree and I'm sure this will be bought to the attention of 6PR management.

Apprentice
    vCash
    I hope so Coach. Thank you for takin the time to read it.

vCash
    The problem is we live in an AFL state. No one really cares about Rugby. It is still considered to be "boutique" pretty much everywhere except NZ.

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    It's just so sad - I don't watch channel 7 news any more because of the AFL coverage means that they don't have ANY other sports. I enjoy Mick Collis calls of the game and really miss Sports FM as well.

Why are they calling AFL games when the Dockers and Eagles are not winning.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    they also did this with the ARC comp, advertised that they were proud sponsors of it yet wouldn't broadcast any of the games. seems a bit silly really, maybe they should have a look at themselves and decide whether they are actually supporting the sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    It's just so sad - I don't watch channel 7 news any more because of the AFL coverage means that they don't have ANY other sports. I enjoy Mick Collis calls of the game and really miss Sports FM as well.

Why are they calling AFL games when the Dockers and Eagles are not winning.
    A response from C7 following my email on 7th May (impressively 10 minutes between emails).

Nicol,
    Thanks for your email.
    To a certain extent I agree with you. We do give a large percentage of our time in our sports segment to AFL. But that's based on thorough research of television ratings, and crowd figures. In Perth, from March to September, AFL is the number one sport by a long way,so we give it the coverage it deserves. Our viewers tells us that's what they want. We try to include 'other' sports but it will never be on a 50/50 basis, during those months. Personally I'd like to cover all sports equally, and I'm often outnumbered when I argue the point. But until our viewers change their habits and let us know they want a wider coverage, we will continue with our present policy. We're also constricted by time and on weekdays we're given only 3 to 4 minutes for sports news.
    I would argue that Channel 9 gives more coverage to sports other than AFL than we do. If that is the case, then perhaps that's why their news has half the audience ours does.
    Having said all that I will take on board what you've said and put it to our next meeting.
    Thanks again for your email,
    regards,

Chris Young

Sports Editor | Seven News Perth

Seven Network (Operations) Limited

Off Dianella Drive | Dianella WA 6059 Australia

Postal Address: PO Box 77 | Tuart Hill WA 6939 Australia

Telephone +61 08 9344 0710| Facsimile +61 9344 0808 | Mobile +61 0417 938 841

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, 7 May 2008 12:02
    To: Young, Chris
    Subject: Sports coverage

Good afternoon,

A simple complaint. Sports news, or Sports Tonight, really should be called AFL news or AFL Tonight (with snippets of other sports if we have time). I think it is a touch misleading on your part to classify the segment as "sports" when clearly 99% of the segment, at the best of times and 100% at the worst, covers AFL. There is an obvious bias in the state for AFL however I don't think a 50% AFL and 50% other sport split would be too much to ask. I would imagine my email will be thrown in the pile of "who cares" but I felt it necessary to write despite this.

On a positive, Ch9 have lost the rights to AFL and as such are now quite "happy" to accomodate other sports represented in this state.

Sincerely,

Apprentice
    vCash
    Thanks for the posts guys i have also written an email for the coordinator of 6PR to come to this forum to see the potencial of broad casting the rugby. so keep them coming.
    `based on thorough research of television ratings, and crowd figures`
    As for crowd percentage for Channel 7 we can only put thet down to another kick in face to Rugby fans of not having a proper stadium.

again guys ta
    Liana

Last edited by liana_annelise; 09-05-08 at 11:59.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Hi Liana,

Apart from getting a live radio braodcast of ALL Force games, sure 6PR are inconsistant but push us pretty well, and now you say ABC are "interested", what are your exact motives?

Just wondering if you have any personal alliance with ANY radio stations as we have been through all this a few time in the past 3 years.

The headline to this thread is a little misleading as well IMHO.

Cheers TIF

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Apprentice
    vCash
    No I don’t have a `personal alliance` with any radio station I was told by a mate of the ABC showing interest and thought I would share the news. As for my motives I have nephews who are great rugby plays and they have to Swap and change of who can go to home games as there is only one ticket between them, they don’t have Foxtel this is due to the economy at this time as my Aunt is a single mother. I don’t think that this is only one family in the Perth who have to make sacrifices. These are young boys and would have thought that if you really enjoyed rugby wouldn’t you want the younger generation to gain s much knowledge of the game by being able to support and listen to the Super 14 comp.

vCash
    Liana,

In general I agree with your sentiments - however I to am curious why you are here and what you hope to achieve?

Personally I never thought that 6PR and rugby was a good match - 6PR is ruled by AFL. I also really believe that this is another example of why we should not share a rectangular stadium with AFL - because they won't tolerate any other code.

Having siad that both Barra and Mick have done an excellent job of promoting rugby but I suspect that this is at their personal cost rather than the direction of the people above them.

ABC has traditionally broadcast rugby matches and did so in the first season/ - they sorta broadcast the ARC but in such a convoluted manner it is difficult to see how it could have dented the rating chart.

vCash
    Liana - get em to join the Blue Crew - also there are ways of winning tickets to the Brumbies on the RugbyWA site - if you can't find the comps or don't know the answers then Private Mail me.

It's worth a shot.

I agree if you want to watch any other sport other than AFL in this state then you do need longish pockets between tickets and Foxtel - but where there is a will there is always a way - stick around and we'ill give you the heads up on all we find.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Agree that Mick and Barra have done a great job. I just want organisers to see there is a demand for it and get more coverage hopefully next season. No alternitive motives here.

Apprentice
    vCash
    yeah i know about the blue crew its just if those boys played AFL then they would get every bit of support. Just pissed lol

vCash
    I agree with you in part Liana, I am not one of the rick mongrels who owns a pair of sports ears (nor one of the lucky buggers who get given one) and therefore listen to the radio at the home game in order to figure out what's going on....funnily enough didn't need the radio at the Reds trial!...I was happy that 6PR were going to broadcast all the home games, thus giving me a commentary to listen to and decipher the sometimes obscure and ridiculous ref's calls.

Imagine my dismay when (despite committing to broadcasting all the home games at the beginning of the season) I only have the opportunity to hear 3 1/2 games broadcast (assuming the Brumbies game gets a start)

That's just poor advertising, and poor advertising leaves a sour taste. If they had said we'll ATTEMPT to broadcast all the home games, I wouldn't be dirty, but I still believe you do what you say, and they haven't delivered!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast