Thread: Hair raising contributes a healthy dividend

vCash

Hair raising contributes a healthy dividend

Hair raising contributes a healthy dividend
    DAVE HUGHES
    8 May 2008

Eight cents.

That’s the value of each chestnut hair that piled up on the surface of Subiaco Oval last Saturday night as the clippers denuded Western Force forward David Pusey of his hair and beard.

It doesn’t seem a lot by itself but, with an unshaven man having about 120,000 follicles on his head and a further 80,000 around his jaw line, it added up in Pusey’s case to an $18,000 cheque heading the way of the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.

The veteran lock had committed to shaving his hair and beard if $10,000 was raised for the charity after a close relative was diagnosed and treated for the condition.

Pusey had avoided the barber for nearly two years, and a razor blade for nine months, to develop the caveman look. Although he reached his collecting goal before the kick-off to last Saturday’s match against the Chiefs, through a tin-rattle and sale of T-shirts outside the ground, a further $6000 was promised during a pre-game function in the Chairman’s Lounge.

A syndicate of guests agreed to donate the figure if Prostate Cancer Foundation chairman Jim Freemantle also shaved his head.

After the match, both Pusey and Freemantle submitted themselves to the shears and what was regarded as the least attractive beard in world rugby was mercifully eradicated.

Pusey, who will reach 50 Super caps if he plays in the last two games of the season, was as delighted to raise nearly double his target amount as he was to be able to show his face again.

“I’d like to thank everyone who showed their support,” he said. “I’m also relieved to be feeling a lot lighter without the long hair and the beard.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hair today, gone tomorrow!
    -
    Story by: ARU

David Pusey of the Force has his hair and beard shaved off for charity.
    Western Force lock David Pusey delivered on his promise and finally shed his notorious red beard after Saturday night’s epic one-point victory over the Chiefs at Subiaco Oval.

The veteran lock had committed to shaving his hair and beard if $10,000 was raised for the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA) after a close relative was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer.

Sales of specially-designed ISC ‘Be a Man’ t-shirts and donations collected at Subiaco on Saturday night saw the total climb well in excess of the $10,000 target before a surprise donation of $6000 came in just prior to the opening whistle.

A syndicate of guests in the Chairman’s Lounge at Saturday’s match agreed to donate the figure if PCFA Chairman Jim Freemantle also shaved his head.

In total, over $18,000 was donated to the PCFA after both Pusey and Freemantle were stripped of their locks and Pusey was relieved of what was widely regarded as world rugby’s most shocking beard.

Pusey said it was exciting to raise so much for such a worthwhile cause.

“I’d like to thank everyone who showed their support by donating, and coming along on Saturday night,” said the 48-cap lock.

Pusey also urged men to consult with their Doctor about testing for prostate cancer from age 50, or 40 if there is a family history.

“Hopefully this whole exercise will help to raise the awareness of Prostate Cancer and encourage men to get tested, but I’d have to admit I’m also relieved to be feeling a lot lighter without the long hair and the beard,” he said.

PCFA WA Chairman Jim Freemantle was extremely appreciative of Pusey’s efforts in raising awareness and all-important funds for Prostate Cancer Research.

“It’s been a great effort from David, and from all who reached into their pockets to donate to this cause. I’d also like to thank everyone who donated and especially thank all the volunteers who made tonight such a great success,” said Freemantle.

Apprentice
    vCash
    well done puse hope you get your 50th UP THE SOUTHO'S