Reds rookie can pay back his proud dad
Ben Dorries Reds rookie can pay back his proud dad | The Courier-Mail
May 08, 2008 12:00am

ALMOST 20 years after he unwittingly ended his father's State of Origin career, Ben Daley will pack down in the Queensland Reds' front row with his proud dad watching from the grandstands.

In one of league's most controversial moments, NSW prop Phil Daley was sacked from the Origin side in 1988 when he secretly left camp to visit his wife Vicki for the birth of the couple's first child.
Ben's birth cost Daley his Origin career but the wheel has gone full circle and no one will be happier than Phil when he watches his son make his Super 14 debut for Queensland Reds against Canterbury Crusaders on Saturday night.

Daley will be delighted watching his son run out for a rival code and Ben, a former Australian Schoolboys star, is desperate to make the most of his chance.

The 19-year-old, 108kg prop has won a Reds call-up to replace bench force Rodney Blake, who was handed a one-game suspension.

The boom youngster insists he is feeling excitement rather than fear about being thrown into the lions' den in his Super 14 debut against the vaunted Crusaders pack.

And his dad is just as excited.

"When I found out I had made the side it was a tremendous feeling. I called my parents up straight away and they were just as pumped for me," Daley said.

"My parents will be coming to the game and it will be great to have that support.

"It's an exciting time. I have to embrace the opportunity because I think if I go into this game scared I am not going to play as well."

The Reds are lucky to have Daley because he also played schoolboy league and was courted by NRL clubs Manly, the side his dad played for, and the Bulldogs before concentrating on rugby.

The Reds will also be boosted by the return of fullback Chris Latham who has made a speedy recovery from his knee injury, with goalkicker Clinton Schifcofske shifted to the wing to accommodate Latham.

But halfback Will Genia may need arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome ankle and has withdrawn from the clash against the Crusaders.

Coach Phil Mooney said inside centre Berrick Barnes would deputise for starting scrumhalf Ben Lucas if required, while winger Brando Va'aulu has been recalled to the bench to fill the gap left by Genia.

All Blacks maestro Daniel Carter will return to action off the bench against Queensland.

In news that will warm the hearts of all New Zealand fans but make the battling Reds' assignment even tougher, the Test flyhalf will play his first match for the table-topping Crusaders in six weeks following an ankle injury.

Queensland: Chris Latham, Clinton Schifcofske, Morgan Turinui, Berrick Barnes, Peter Hynes, Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas; Leroy Houston, David Croft, Poutasi Luafutu, James Horwill (capt), Van Humphries, Dayna Edwards, Stephen Moore, Ben Coutts. Res: Sean Hardman, Ben Daley, Ed O'Donoghue, Scott Higginbotham, Brando Va'aulu, Charlie Fetoai, Digby Ioane.